MoD Targets Exporting Tejas MkII Fighter Jet to Compete with Russian Jets in Medium-Category Market

We can not even claim to have worlds Best minds , looking at our DPSU's Record & performance.....or Non Performance. Lol
Frank here has the idea that if we were to take the top 100 or so engineers graduating from IITs each year and put them to work in our DPSUs, then we will have an aircraft engine ready within a decade. He completely ignores other things such as funding, infrastructure, company culture, testing experience, etc.

Good goals, but it is pie in the sky as of now...We must fix DRDO + HAL and deliver domestically before dreaming about these exports...Just compare DRDO+HAL on one side with ISRO+BARC on the other side and it is worth asking why needs to change, and how fast...India cannot be military power without a transformed DRDO+HAL...I love India and wish it very well, but at the same time am realistic about the possibilities...Change is hard (I have 25+ years of experience as a global strategy consultant) and I know what it takes....Unless there is clear political vision, backed up with a strategy, hard choices and a relentless pursuit of delivering it - it tends to fail or is half-baked.

We have some 160 Jaguars, 55 Mirage 2000s, and 75 MiG-29s in the IAF. That works out to 280 fighters in total. Now, if the UAF procures 180 Tejas Mk 2 aircraft (10 squadrons) plus trainers, then they can recoup the present squadron strength once you add in the 114 MRFA aircraft. The main catalysts to grow squadron strength seem to be the Tejas Mk 1A, and eventually, the AMCA.
Works out to 290 actually + all those Mig-27s, 25s, 23s, etc which were retired and never replaced = 300 to 400 Tejas Mk 2s.

Tejas IAs with a drop tank or two will replace many of the Mig-21s.

114 MRFA * $300 millions or more by the time India awards it will come to $34+ billions.
Too costly to even think about them, and India will not get any TOTs from anyone at all.
May be 36 additional Rafales for IAF will do.

Send rest of the money to Tejas Mk 2, TEDBF and AMCA, and of course fighter engine development and manufacturing at WARP SPEED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hans mercer
Back