BDL Chairman Affirms Astra Mk-I's Global Superiority, Ongoing Deliveries to Indian Air Force

BDL Chairman Affirms Astra Mk-I's Global Superiority, Ongoing Deliveries to Indian Air Force

Commodore A. Madhavarao (Retd.), Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), has unequivocally declared the indigenous Astra Mk-I air-to-air missile as the world leader within its class of Beyond-Visual-Range (BVR) technologies.

This statement, made during an interview with Bharat Shakti Editor-in-Chief Nitin A. Gokhale, underscores the exceptional capabilities of India's domestically developed missile program.

Deliveries Underway, Signaling IAF Confidence​

Commodore Madhavarao's assertion of the Astra Mk-I's superiority is bolstered by the confirmation that deliveries of the missile to the Indian Air Force (IAF) are well underway.

The IAF's substantial investment in the Astra Mk-I, including an initial order of 250 missiles and a follow-up order valued at Rs 2,971 crore, demonstrates unwavering confidence in the missile's strategic value.

Technological Excellence and Strategic Importance​

The Astra Mk-I boasts impressive performance characteristics, including an extended operational range and the ability to exceed Mach 4.5 in flight.

Successful user trials aboard Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jets have demonstrated the missile's combat readiness. Its integration into the IAF's arsenal significantly enhances India's air defense capabilities, providing a tactical advantage in aerial engagements.

The Future of the Astra Program​

The Astra Mk-I's success and the IAF's commitment herald a promising future for India's air-to-air missile development.

Ongoing work on future iterations like the Astra Mk-II and Mk-III suggests continued investment in maintaining India's technological edge in air combat dominance.

Yes Astra MK1 is best BVR , But waiting for Astra MK2 Trials.

Great news indeed but it is all old news anyways.
This year Astra Mk II with 160+ kms intercept range will complete all trials and will go into productions.
In few years, Astra Mk III with Soldi Fuel Ducted Ramjet Engine technology will be ready after flight trials. It already successfully completed engine firing tests, drop tests, etc

With all these three BVRAAMs available, TEjas IA, Tejas Mk 2 and SU-30MKIs, and Mig-29UPGs will become formidable fighter force.
IAF can do without MRFA if these three missiles and Uttam AESA radar variants fructifies and Tejas Mk2 starts coming out in numbers.

Way to go!!!

When IAF places order for 160km range AstrMk2 after successful trials, BDL should start new production lines for it since existing lines will be busy with AstrMk1 orders for the next 6 years.

Why Astra 2 trials r being held back?
With this rate of prodn., how IAF & IN are imagining to manage during real war time?

When IAF places order for 160km range AstrMk2 after successful trials, BDL should start new production lines for it since existing lines will be busy with AstrMk1 orders for the next 6 years.
Before that they have to fire the missile.

Why Astra 2 trials r being held back?
With this rate of prodn., how IAF & IN are imagining to manage during real war time?
Because it’s a DRDO project. So 2-3 decades is the minimum duration. And then people will blame the military for long trials.
IN has not yet inducted the missile.

TO do that Babus must be able to think and act proactively like corporates....if they were as good then they WOULD be working in the corporates at 3X the salaries...GIGO.....Garbage In Garbage Out....mantra of all DPSUs production/manufacturing workforce

Great news indeed but it is all old news anyways.
This year Astra Mk II with 160+ kms intercept range will complete all trials and will go into productions.
In few years, Astra Mk III with Soldi Fuel Ducted Ramjet Engine technology will be ready after flight trials. It already successfully completed engine firing tests, drop tests, etc

With all these three BVRAAMs available, TEjas IA, Tejas Mk 2 and SU-30MKIs, and Mig-29UPGs will become formidable fighter force.
IAF can do without MRFA if these three missiles and Uttam AESA radar variants fructifies and Tejas Mk2 starts coming out in numbers.

Way to go!!!
But mk2 will take time.
And capabilities are on paper, imagine if it stalls. bhagwan na kare.

Because it’s a DRDO project. So 2-3 decades is the minimum duration. And then people will blame the military for long trials.
IN has not yet inducted the missile.
Here comes Mr...again..but in due course you will be left shouting with no one to hear while all the DRDO weapons get inducted and exported ..such a pity

Here comes Mr...again..but in due course you will be left shouting with no one to hear while all the DRDO weapons get inducted and exported ..such a pity
He has some serious issue with DRDO 😀

That’s what everyone has been saying for decades. That’s why P MO has constituted a special committee to see how to punish DRDO. Mod has already snatched a part of their budget and given it to private sector. So don’t be a DRDO apologist. Wake up, smell the coffee and say out loud. ‘DRDO go back’.

But mk2 will take time.
And capabilities are on paper, imagine if it stalls. bhagwan na kare.
It is based on MRSAM capability. It is not on paper but just an adaptation or MRSAM/Barak8 which India has been using for 20 years and also indigenising it step by step.

It has the range it has. No use in saying it should have a greater range. That'll be taken care of by the Astra Mk 2.
It has a range similar or slightly higher to AIM120C, at about 110km. But its NEZ range is 30km in tail chasing

That’s what everyone has been saying for decades. That’s why P MO has constituted a special committee to see how to punish DRDO. Mod has already snatched a part of their budget and given it to private sector. So don’t be a DRDO apologist. Wake up, smell the coffee and say out loud. ‘DRDO go back’.
Show me where DRDO budget was snatched to give it to private sector?

Show me where DRDO budget was snatched to give it to private sector?
Read PIB release from 4 August 2023. 25% of the defense budget is now earmarked for industry, start ups and academia. Earlier this was the sole right of DRDO. Now MoD has realized that DRDO is useless and they are snatching money from them and giving it to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hans mercer
Back