Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

The Indian Navy is looking to bolster its anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities further with the potential acquisition of 12 additional Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopters.

Sources familiar with the matter indicate that the deal, expected to be finalized in 2026, would likely be carried out through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. This move requires approval from the Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD).

This expansion plan follows the Indian Navy's recent induction of its first squadron of MH-60R Seahawks, a step seen as a notable enhancement of the force's ASW capabilities.

The MH-60R is a versatile multi-mission helicopter equipped with advanced sensors and weaponry, including Hellfire missiles, MK-54 torpedoes, precision-guided rockets, powerful radars, and night-vision systems.

The initial contract, signed in February 2020 and valued at Rs 15,157 crore ($2.13 billion), covers the purchase of 24 MH-60R helicopters. Currently, six helicopters have joined the Indian Navy's fleet, with the remaining 18 deliveries scheduled through the end of 2025.

The proposed addition of 12 more Seahawks underscores the Indian Navy's confidence in the platform. These helicopters offer a robust blend of combat power, advanced detection systems, and mission adaptability, solidifying their value in diverse naval operations.

Key areas where the MH-60R excels include:
  • Anti-submarine warfare (ASW): Tracking and neutralizing underwater threats
  • Anti-surface warfare (ASuW): Engaging surface vessels
  • Search and rescue (SAR): Locating and rescuing personnel in distress
  • Maritime patrol: Surveillance and reconnaissance missions
  • Special operations support: Transporting and assisting special forces units

We need additional 12 MH60R (because HAL DBMRH is far away) as well as 6 Boeing P8I. Sign the deal ASAP.

HAL with now good experience in Helicopter segment, should start developing this class of helicopters for future replacement. Next time we shouldn't import these type of helicopters from outside.

Put all your American arms purchases on hold. Wait until either the American Administration changes or they signal change of heart. Right now is the wrong time to shake hands. American ambassador thinks that India has crossed the red line and India thinks the same in US encouraging terrorists living in US trying to break up India.

HAL with now good experience in Helicopter segment, should start developing this class of helicopters for future replacement. Next time we shouldn't import these type of helicopters from outside.
Let them get the IMRH and DBMRH done first, besides completion of weapons trials for the LCH, and moving the LUH to full-scale production before they start very serious work on any new helicopter.

We should go for more than 12 and replace Seaking and Ka-27/28, till the time naval variant of IMRH takes first flight. It will take a decade to start production after that and till the time we have sufficient numbers the earliest MH-60R would be nearing retirement.

I dont get it why this programme hasnt been sanctioned yet, so many variants can be created for so many fields. Asw, naval variant, iaf, army, transport

We presently have 25 Sea Kings and 14 Ka-27s engaged in ASW work. Replacing these would require atleast 40 helicopters. Now, factor in the fact that the Navy has expansion plans, and that number rapidly approaches 50 or more. An idea worth considering would be to further increase procurement of the MH-60 to a total of 60 aircraft, which would be best suited for a long time to come.

Just shows the unrealistic way of planning on part of India. At the time of placing the first order for 24 in Feb 2020 itself, they should have placed multi-year orders for at least 36 more @ 10 per year considering the proposed usage within the Navy !! Even now the jokers want to drag their feet and go in for only 12 more.

Just shows the unrealistic way of planning on part of India. At the time of placing the first order for 24 in Feb 2020 itself, they should have placed multi-year orders for at least 36 more @ 10 per year considering the proposed usage within the Navy !! Even now the jokers want to drag their feet and go in for only 12 more.
Exactly. It is due this, India failed to acquire additional Hercules.

I dont think that is the reason. Navy wanyed some experience operating these helicopters and only after being satisfied, are they going for further orders. Usually in these kinds of deals there is an option to go dor more aircraft at same price for this very reason. I believe testing the platform and using it in exercises before placing bul orders is a good decision.

We need additional 12 MH60R (because HAL DBMRH is far away) as well as 6 Boeing P8I. Sign the deal ASAP.
I dont think more P8I are needed. Since we are buying multiple cheaper recon aircraft like recon version of C295. Each P8I costs like 300 million USD.

More MH60R is great option.

Helicopter carrier banega hi to unke hishab se order lagao aur saath mai kuchh tech bhi laaye..bade order pe kuchh fayda bhi bana rahega..aur supply bhi bana rahega.

I dont think more P8I are needed. Since we are buying multiple cheaper recon aircraft like recon version of C295. Each P8I costs like 300 million USD.

More MH60R is great option.
Considering the recent deal for the C295, I would posit we are paying too much for the C295 for the capability we get with it. At that point, you may as well pay the difference and get a P-8I instead for the improved capabilities that it brings vis-à-vis the C-295.

We should go for more than 12 and replace Seaking and Ka-27/28, till the time naval variant of IMRH takes first flight. It will take a decade to start production after that and till the time we have sufficient numbers the earliest MH-60R would be nearing retirement.
No, the MH-60R has a life of about 25-30 years at normal usage. That said, let the IMRH and DBMRH actually get built first. Between prototypes, testing, LSP, ISP, and final production, we are looking at atleast 12-15 years. By that point, the Dhruv will be nearing replacement, so initial production could focus on that, with a hypothetical ASW version then replacing the MH-60s in the late 2040s and early 2050s.

In the interim, we could consider expanding MH-60R procurement to 60 helicopters in total. Of these, 40 would replace the older Sea Kings and Ka-27s (including the 24 airframe order we have), and the remaining would be needed as the Navy expands and we start basing these choppers on other surface combatants as well.

Or they should have atleast added 36 options to that order.

Considering the recent deal for the C295, I would posit we are paying too much for the C295 for the capability we get with it. At that point, you may as well pay the difference and get a P-8I instead for the improved capabilities that it brings vis-à-vis the C-295.
P8I costs more than 2 times C295 MPA. Also, we have local assembly for C295.

Of course we use brahmos cruise missile to kill a mouse. But, if we can use hammer to kill a mouse we dont need cruise missile to do it.

Same way, P8I is super advanced, super capable aircraft. We should use it to detect stealth submarines, rather than use it to patrol land border with china or maritime patrol. Those 'menial' tasks can by done be C295 or dornier.

for the treacherous , demanding , and exacting environment of sea , tropical waters the tried and tested replacement of sea kings should be British Sea Merlin a new generation of Seaking development with good endurance , range and can be fitted with equipment selected by the navy as was done for Seakings Making it the worlds best antisubmarine , anti surface , patrol and rescue helicopter .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hans mercer
Back