India's P-8I Planes Could Get a Submarine-Hunting Upgrade

India's P-8I Planes Could Get a Submarine-Hunting Upgrade

The Indian Navy is mulling over a serious power boost for its fleet of submarine-hunting aircraft. Boeing, the maker of India's P-8I patrol planes, is offering a high-tech upgrade that could make these planes even better at finding and tracking those sneaky, underwater subs.

What's in the Upgrade?​

This plan, called "Increment 3 Block 2", isn't just a software update. Think of it like this:
  • Brain and Brawn Upgrade: The planes would get new, souped-up computers to think faster and crunch data about potential targets. Plus, stronger security to keep secrets safe.
  • Chatty Planes: Imagine planes talking to satellites over vast distances and picking up faint underwater signals from enemy subs. That's what new communication gear could make possible.
  • Submarine Tracking 2.0: Think of it as high-tech submarine sonar combined with advanced ways for multiple planes (and maybe even ships) to share what they're "seeing" underwater.
But wait, there's more! The planes themselves might even get stronger to carry all this new gear.

Why India Cares​

India was the very first country outside of the US to buy these fancy P-8I planes. They've become a big part of how India keeps an eye on the Indian Ocean. Submarines are a growing concern, and this upgrade could be India's way of making sure its planes stay one step ahead in the underwater hide-and-seek game.

The Decision​

The Indian Navy will have to weigh the costs and benefits of this big upgrade. But one thing's for sure – if they say "yes," India's ability to keep tabs on underwater activity in the region is about to get a serious boost.

Boeing performs spiral updates of all P-8s for all countries who joined the stream.
This is one of the best way for India to keep them upto date.
India and USA signed all foundational agreements so India will get same kinds of upgrades as USA.

DoD is trying to integrate many kinds of ASW and Anti-Ship missiles on its P-8s so India will also get benefitted with those formidable firepower and extra long ranges.

Boeing recently informed DoD about lack of orders for P-8s and may close its production line without additional orders.
So, as I was writing for a long time, India must order at least another 12 to meet all of its requirements for next few decades.

Do not let P-8Is beget the same fate as C-17s fate where its production line was permanently closed leaving India high and dry due to its lethargic acquisition processes.
Beware and get to actions.

Boeing performs spiral updates of all P-8s for all countries who joined the stream.
This is one of the best way for India to keep them upto date.
India and USA signed all foundational agreements so India will get same kinds of upgrades as USA.

DoD is trying to integrate many kinds of ASW and Anti-Ship missiles on its P-8s so India will also get benefitted with those formidable firepower and extra long ranges.

Boeing recently informed DoD about lack of orders for P-8s and may close its production line without additional orders.
So, as I was writing for a long time, India must order at least another 12 to meet all of its requirements for next few decades.

Do not let P-8Is beget the same fate as C-17s fate where its production line was permanently closed leaving India high and dry due to its lethargic acquisition processes.
Beware and get to actions.
Boeing has orders . Canada needs 17 to start , and Germany 8 . Delivery starts in 2026 . The P-8 will be around for another decade . It's a Proven platform that can pack a massive punch . Can launch LARASM's , Tomahawk's , MK-54's , and the 9x heat seeker . This Jet is a game changer for the IAF and the Navy . Your correct it has everything and the Best at Tracking Subs and can engage Chinese Destroyers at range . The LOC will have Air Born Command n Control 24/7 that could heavely armed . Kinda l8ke a left hook at the ready .

Brahmos integration??
Might be just a matter of Lug Nuts fitting . Someone just announced a Hypersonic missile has been cleared for production that fits the F-35 . Should carry 6 , each jet . The Brahmos is bigger so maybe it's a fit for the P-8 . Maybe 2 to 4 but can you imagine lunched from 30,000 , longer , faster . Checkmate time .

Might be just a matter of Lug Nuts fitting . Someone just announced a Hypersonic missile has been cleared for production that fits the F-35 . Should carry 6 , each jet . The Brahmos is bigger so maybe it's a fit for the P-8 . Maybe 2 to 4 but can you imagine lunched from 30,000 , longer , faster . Checkmate time .
I doubt whether US will allow BRAHMOS to be integrated with P8I platform.

MOD must have some sense to OK more P8I & that also soon if it has learnt something from the history of C-17.

India needs more P8Is - like 12 more, and upgrade the existing 12 to the latest standard…it will great if some Indian weapons like Brahmos can be integrated…along with the the MMA and MMRA domestic programs should be put in place with the C-295 platform… The biggest threat in the IOR region will be Chinese SSNs and even the new Pakistani SSKs…If by 2030-2035 India has 24 P8Is and about 24-36 C-295s with Navy and Coast Guard, supported by MQ9s, it will be good coverage…I envisage space based sensors via a VLEO/LEO constellation will increase real time 24X7 coverage to track Chinese ships from Malacca to Red Sea…

India should always look at keeping the latest weapons and technology in the P8I planes because we need its most advanced technology in detecting submarines or underwater threats from drones. The only problem is that it's so expensive and costs millions of dollars just to replace one crucial equipment.

In the next upgrade India should carry out a comprehensive refit and install the latest technology, software, computer system etc so that we can detect more Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean. India needs the same information on Chinese submarines and ship activities in our ocean. In this comprehensive refit they should increase the indigenous content and critical technology transfer along with making it all in India. They should also install and allow us to use our indigenous weapons like missiles and torpedos along with replacing the parts, sensors and equipment with our own indigenous replacements as they become ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.Rajesh
Back