A Decade After Successful Test, BrahMos SLCM Remains Absent from Operational Submarines

A Decade After Successful Test, BrahMos SLCM Remains Absent from Operational Submarines

In March 2013, India achieved a significant milestone with the successful test-fire of the BrahMos submarine-launched cruise missile (SLCM) from a submerged platform in the Bay of Bengal. This marked a substantial advancement in India's underwater deterrence capabilities. However, over a decade later, the SLCM variant remains absent from operational Indian submarines.

The BrahMos, a joint Indo-Russian venture, boasts impressive range and speed capabilities. While the initial SLCM variant tested in 2013 had a range of 290 km, BrahMos Corporation has since developed the BrahMos-ER (450 km) and a longer-range version exceeding 800 km. Integrating these missiles with submarines would provide India with an unparalleled underwater stand-off capability.

A critical obstacle to this integration is the lack of Vertical Launching System (VLS) cells on current Indian submarines. BrahMos Corporation proposed integrating the SLCM with the next-generation submarines to be procured under Project-75I. However, this necessitates modifications such as an additional plug behind the sail, leading to increased costs.

Project-75I, aimed at acquiring six new submarines, shortlisted contenders offering vessels without built-in VLS. The Indian Navy appears to be prioritizing VLS integration for its nuclear attack submarine program under Project-75 Alpha. This prioritization leaves the Project-75I submarines currently without the capability to deploy the BrahMos SLCMs.

BrahMos Corporation is now focusing on the development of BrahMos-NG, a lighter Mach 3 capable cruise missile launched from a torpedo tube, potentially making it compatible with all submarines under the Indian Navy's command. However, the restricted range could reduce its standoff operational capabilities.

Modifying current Project-75I contenders presents an immediate solution, albeit a potentially expensive one. Alternatively, waiting for Project-75 Alpha submarines with inherent VLS capabilities might delay BrahMos integration but offer a potentially more potent long-term option.

Go for a VLS section on the Project 76 SSK design, which would allow us to fire BrahMos and/or ITCMs from submarines. In the meantime, we could push for BrahMos-NG integration on the Kalvari- and Project 75I boats.

Submarines is an old technology.
India has a latest technology, no other country has.
It can send missile with supersonic speed and then releases a torpedo.
So, India has to work upon, release different variants including Brahmos SLCM and so on.
Instead of inventing costly submarines, it is better to invent releasing all possible attacking products from missile.

If Underwater technologies focus on sensor technologies to have realtime data of enemy targets, taht is enough.
these released products will interact with available sensor to get realtime target locations and do their job.

Submarines is an old technology.
India has a latest technology, no other country has.
It can send missile with supersonic speed and then releases a torpedo.
So, India has to work upon, release different variants including Brahmos SLCM and so on.
Instead of inventing costly submarines, it is better to invent releasing all possible attacking products from missile.

If Underwater technologies focus on sensor technologies to have realtime data of enemy targets, taht is enough.
these released products will interact with available sensor to get realtime target locations and do their job.
What nonsense! Just because we have a missile-launched torpedo doesn't make submarines obsolete. That is like saying that just because you have air mail, we should stop using cars.

Go for a VLS section on the Project 76 SSK design, which would allow us to fire BrahMos and/or ITCMs from submarines. In the meantime, we could push for BrahMos-NG integration on the Kalvari- and Project 75I boats.
Agreed…smarter approach, given we need P-75Is asap…

The Brahmos missile won't be used on any submarines. Currently we are developing a indigenous torpedo launched anti ship/land attack missile because all and the P75I submarines don't have a VLS at all and just trying to get a foreign country to include a VLS would add to the cost and delay the construction even more.

Until we develop our indigenous P76 diesel electric submarines we won't have any VLS except for our nuclear attack and ballistic missile submarines. Until then we can't use the Brahmos missile on any submarine as Germany and France wouldn't allow us to connect the Brahmos to their system computer at all and we currently use the Exocet missile to hit the target or AEG torpedos.

Everything is always delayed. Indian military advancement is becoming like someone gives dream of getting so many things but nothing happens in reality. We are far behind in terms military advancement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaali Suputra
Back