ADA Takes Dual Approach to TEDBF: STOBAR Variant for Current Carriers and CATOBAR Variant for Future Carrier

ADA Takes Dual Approach to TEDBF: STOBAR Variant for Current Carriers and CATOBAR Variant for Future Carrier

The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is spearheading a two-track development strategy for the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF), designed to address the immediate and future needs of the Indian Navy.

This innovative approach aims to bolster the nation's naval aviation capabilities by simultaneously developing variants compatible with both existing and upcoming aircraft carriers.

STOBAR Variant for Current Carriers​

In the short term, the TEDBF program will prioritize the development of a Short TakeOff But Arrested Landing (STOBAR) variant.

The STOBAR variant will utilize a ski-jump ramp for takeoff and arresting gear for landing, ensuring seamless integration with the existing carrier infrastructure, INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant.

CATOBAR Variant for Future Carrier​

Looking towards the future, the Indian Navy envisions the IAC-III aircraft carrier, also known as INS Vishal, as a 65,000-ton CATOBAR (Catapult Assisted TakeOff But Arrested Landing) carrier. To fully leverage the capabilities of this advanced platform, the ADA is concurrently developing a CATOBAR variant of the TEDBF.

The CATOBAR system utilizes a catapult to launch aircraft, enabling them to carry heavier payloads of weapons and fuel. This translates to a significant increase in operational range, flexibility, and overall strike power for the TEDBF when deployed on the future IAC-III.

Smooth Transition to Advanced Technology​

The dual development of STOBAR and CATOBAR variants is a strategic move that ensures a smooth transition for the Indian Navy as it adopts the more advanced CATOBAR technology.

Pilots can gain experience and operational proficiency with the STOBAR variant on current carriers while the CATOBAR variant is being finalized for deployment on IAC-III.

This two-pronged approach is a testament to India's commitment to modernizing its naval aviation capabilities. The development of the TEDBF, with its two variants, is a significant step towards enhancing the Indian Navy's maritime power projection and safeguarding the nation's interests in the Indo-Pacific region.

I am all in for indigenous bird, but I can already see multiple delays from DPSU OEMs and IAF planning to scramble for French Rafale-Ms or any foreign birds later on.
The real power projection from an aircraft carrier will be with our own bird.

If IAC-3 is going to use TEDBF then why spend $6Bln for only 26 Rafale-M’s, that include 4 used ones, we have 48 MIG-29’s and two Naval Tejas prototypes, why not use the 6Bln to purchase 6 Type 212 CD AIP submarines, IAC-3 will take another 10 years at-least and Rafale-M will take atleast 15 years to come due to 482 Backlog, so why not invest $6Bln on TEDBF program now, so that they are ready by the time IAC-3 becomes available.

If IAC-3 is going to use TEDBF then why spend $6Bln for only 26 Rafale-M’s, that include 4 used ones, we have 48 MIG-29’s and two Naval Tejas prototypes, why not use the 6Bln to purchase 6 Type 212 CD AIP submarines, IAC-3 will take another 10 years at-least and Rafale-M will take atleast 15 years to come due to 482 Backlog, so why not invest $6Bln on TEDBF program now, so that they are ready by the time IAC-3 becomes available.
Because IN needs the birds in this decade, not 2 decades later. Rafale M are an absolute requirement and thanks to our dear chaddi buddies, we are getting it at such an affordable price instead of the F18 where US tried to rob us blind. Tauba tauba.

HAL's Disclaimer
All characters and other entities appearing in this story are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to real Aircrafts or Aircraft-carrier, from drawing board or 3D render, is purely coincidental.

Because IN needs the birds in this decade, not 2 decades later. Rafale M are an absolute requirement and thanks to our dear chaddi buddies, we are getting it at such an affordable price instead of the F18 where US tried to rob us blind. Tauba tauba.
is 6Bln affordable price for only 26 jets that include 4 used jets and what makes you think that we get 22 RAFALE-M's before 10 other export customers who ordered 382 Rafale's before us, may be we get 4 used one's in 1-2 years, but we have to wait 15 years to get the remaining 22 Rafale-M's, by that time TEDBF and even AMCA will be ready

is 6Bln affordable price for only 26 jets that include 4 used jets and what makes you think that we get 22 RAFALE-M's before 10 other export customers who ordered 382 Rafale's before us, may be we get 4 used one's in 1-2 years, but we have to wait 15 years to get the remaining 22 Rafale-M's, by that time TEDBF and even AMCA will be ready
It's the cheapest possible option and MoD is ready to spend it. So yes, it's very very affordable. Whatever it includes is very very affordable, thanks to our dear friend France. No one else in the world loves us as much, clearly. They just keep winning.

I am all in for indigenous bird, but I can already see multiple delays from DPSU OEMs and IAF planning to scramble for French Rafale-Ms or any foreign birds later on.
The real power projection from an aircraft carrier will be with our own bird.
Right now we can use the only bird crow, that is abundantly available in India.

It's the cheapest possible option and MoD is ready to spend it. So yes, it's very very affordable. Whatever it includes is very very affordable, thanks to our dear friend France. No one else in the world loves us as much, clearly. They just keep winning.
Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaate.

Everything including aircraft carriers and catobar are ready. But where's the tedbf?

Rafale is cheaper than Super Hornet 😂
Bro which type of pot are you smoking, please give it to me also !!
Along with that also provide me a single document where Rafale was declared the L1 bidder in the Naval MRFA competition.

We have 40 MiG-29Ks left, which isn't sufficient for two carrier air wings, let alone three.

With the Defence Minister saying that the long-term goal is to have five to six carriers, we may see work on IAC-III also pick up once work on IAC-II starts. This easily means that the aircraft requirements will be higher, which means an increased order book for the TEDBF, and that helps with the project's viability.

It was reported multiple times to be a G2G deal like the first Rafale deal.
But he will never accept it & keep creating fake accounts to spread his nonsense XD
Yes this is G2G deal bought off the shelf from France, it has been reported many times that out of 26 jets, 4 will be used Rafale-M's, also the backlog is close to 300+ Rafales. Dassault makes 10-12 jets/year for export customers, so there is no way we are going to get those remaining 22 jets in 10 years, he keeps saying that Rafale will be ordered for MRFA and all 114+26=140 jets will be delivered within 3 Years.

Rafale is cheaper than Super Hornet 😂
Bro which type of pot are you smoking, please give it to me also !!
Along with that also provide me a single document where Rafale was declared the L1 bidder in the Naval MRFA competition.
I also need some, I have a bad day today😁.

We have 40 MiG-29Ks left, which isn't sufficient for two carrier air wings, let alone three.
Bro, each cariier carries a total of 28 Air assets, that include, jets, helicopters and AWACS helicopters, so in theory each carrier carry only 20-24 jets at any given time, we have 40 MIG-29K's and 2 Naval Tejas prototypes, HAL could easily build 6-10 Naval Tejas in MK1A config to be used as an interim jet until TEDBF is ready and later on these Naval Tejas could be coverted into trainers, out of Total 26, 4 are used Rafale-M's that we will get within the first year but the remaing 22 will take atleast 10 years due to the backlog, so in my opinion Rafale-M is needless.

So, your point likely the TEDBF will be made first. How French are hopping on Russia, I also have my doubt they will fulfill export order on time. Everyday war is getting hotter.

Bro, each cariier carries a total of 28 Air assets, that include, jets, helicopters and AWACS helicopters, so in theory each carrier carry only 20-24 jets at any given time, we have 40 MIG-29K's and 2 Naval Tejas prototypes, HAL could easily build 6-10 Naval Tejas in MK1A config to be used as an interim jet until TEDBF is ready and later on these Naval Tejas could be coverted into trainers, out of Total 26, 4 are used Rafale-M's that we will get within the first year but the remaing 22 will take atleast 10 years due to the backlog, so in my opinion Rafale-M is needless.
26 jets plus 10 helicopters on each carrier at full capacity, though a more common number for peacetime is 22 + 8 or 21 + 9.

26 jets plus 10 helicopters on each carrier at full capacity, though a more common number for peacetime is 22 + 8 or 21 + 9.
Total 28 Air assets is the capacity of Vikramaditya, Vikrant might be 2-3 more,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob
Back