DRDO Showcases Mahindra-developed CBRN Variant of WhAP at Maharashtra MSME Defence Expo 2024

RonitBisht

Contributor
Reactions
DRDO Showcases Mahindra-developed CBRN Variant of WhAP at Maharashtra MSME Defence Expo 2024

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) showcased the first-ever Mahindra-developed Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) variant of the Wheeled Armoured Platform (WhAP) at the Maharashtra MSME Defence Expo 2024.

The "second-generation" WhAP features a compact design, weight reduction, optimized 600Hp Diesel engine performance for high-altitude operations, and enhanced protection measures.

The Indian Army has already inducted one Tata-developed WhAP for internal testing and evaluation.

DRDO should make different versions like mount 105mm gun on it, anti tank and drone missiles.

Both of vehicles these whether Mahindra or tata should be indicated in large numbers like China did to PTL-87 Assault Gun ak WZ-551 and Type 08.

Anything Indian WhAP, AFV, and APC are good enough for India.
Don't blow valuable hard currency on foreign maals.
There are many urgent requirements where India can deploy hard currency to acquire the armaments quickly to fight two enemies at the same time.

‣Does "compact" mean that Mahindra WHaP is <<< than Tata WhAP ❓ By how much volume❓
‣What categorical protection against ATGM is there on Mahindra WHaP❓
‣Does Mahindra WHaP have RCWS❓

Pictures don't really show a very high level of workmanship or design engineering when one compares them with global APCs. Neither does article talk about enhanced firepower, sensors or Armour compared to TATA WHAP.

I hope I am mistaken though.

Both of vehicles these whether Mahindra or tata should be indicated in large numbers like China did to PTL-87 Assault Gun ak WZ-551 and Type 08.
That's the whole problem. They never induct in large numbers, which will provide economies of scale. Thar is our IA.

All this r&d and whap development for how many number order. Why will any company invest in defence? Typical IA procurement.

All this r&d and whap development for how many number order. Why will any company invest in defence? Typical IA procurement.
200 is confirmed for kestrel as quoted by alpha defence he talked to a scientist in msme expo

DRDO should make different versions like mount 105mm gun on it, anti tank and drone missiles.
DRDO and Tata, Mahindra,L&T should make versions while our army buys in small numbers. Lol.

Maybe that's why no private company wants to spend on R&D in India. Who knows if they will get order 100 when requirement was of 1000. And even orders in batches do not suit. Imagine having to build a whole new assembly line, train technicians, etc for a batch of 100 and the next batch you are not even sure if it will go to you or L&T or Mahindra or Tata.

DRDO and Tata, Mahindra,L&T should make versions while our army buys in small numbers. Lol.
If you look closely, problem comes usually when DRDO is involved. For example, in drones or armored vehicles, army and other armed forces are placing regular orders and our companies are very much interested to invest.

But as soon as DRDO gets involved- like in WHAP or ATAGS - orders get stuck for long long time. These products simply don’t seem to meet the requirements. It seems DRDO intentionally makes products that fail the trials.

There are a number of different variants that India can use from this model and we should definitely capitalise on this model. We can equip it with many different types of weapons and purpose.

Now be ready for IA's advices & suggestions for third generation Whap before procurement of earlier two generations... real perfectionist, our IA is..

But as soon as DRDO gets involved- like in WHAP or ATAGS - orders get stuck for long long time. These products simply don’t seem to meet the requirements. It seems DRDO intentionally makes products that fail the trials.
Dude..both WhaP and ATAGS have been acceptable by IA. A few tonnes don't matter when IA has critical need for these weapon platforms. Instead of having to use 1980s Bofors, ATAGS is 10X better and it's even better than ATHOS taking everything into account.

We have seen the requirements of IA on FRCV program. A 4 manned CV with 55tonne weight. Absolute bonkers. Then who remembers multi-calibre rifle? The list goes on.

It's not a DRDO problem. Which Indian private firm could develop Kanchan armour let alone make it lighter? If they can give the orders to them by all means.
Which Indian private company could develop Arjun tank even today. Not screwdriving but build from scratch. If they can, I would support them but they can't. You need to understand DRDO is carrying whole Indian defense industry now. If tomorrow, a private player emerges, I would support it too.

But Private R&D spending right now is zilch, nada, nil, shunya for all practical purposes. And I don't blame them if our armed forces give peanut orders. Drones and all are small systems, which is also used by state police, paramilitary forces, can have civilian versions, can be easily exported, etc.

Dude..both WhaP and ATAGS have been acceptable by IA. A few tonnes don't matter when IA has critical need for these weapon platforms. Instead of having to use 1980s Bofors, ATAGS is 10X better and it's even better than ATHOS taking everything into account.
Bro, a few tons make all the difference in the world. Because it’s not about the extra tons but the extra money. India’s GCVs have a limit of 16 tons. So those 2 extra tons means entire infrastructure needs to be build again from ground up. And the result is for everyone to see.

Original order was for 400+ guns. Now army is buying new GCVs, which means ATAGS has been chosen as the winner. But this has delayed the whole program and even more importantly, due to extra cost, the numbers in the new tender have come down from 400 to 300. So army will get lesser guns and get them later. Can you please tell me why exactly did DRDO violate the ASQRs without confirming with army? Don’t tell me it’s more advanced or whatever. Just tell me why we’re the ASQRs not followed. Was DRDO under the impression that they know how to fight a war better than the army? Or were they sure that MoD will force army to buy whatever cr@p they make?

And bro…how can one say no one can develop it when no one is given a chance? Issue an open tender before you claim no one can do it. DRDO is the least capable entity in this country. Whatever they can do can be done by a thousands of others at half the cost. But unless you give them an opportunity, how can we find out? DRDO is the only entity holding our entire defense industry to ransom at this point.

Dude..both WhaP and ATAGS have been acceptable by IA. A few tonnes don't matter when IA has critical need for these weapon platforms.
Few Tons does make a difference in weapons performance. It impacts heavily on mobility and logistics .

Issue an open tender before you claim no one can do it.
Ok I am giving you only 3 example.. 1. Very short range SAM. Man portable ATGM and Gun missile system. All are open tender. Tell me which private company came forward with there own design.. ???????........2 out of 3 system DRDO already cleared all trials with in 2-3 years.

Ok I am giving you only 3 example.. 1. Very short range SAM. Man portable ATGM and Gun missile system. All are open tender. Tell me which private company came forward with there own design.. ???????........2 out of 3 system DRDO already cleared all trials with in 2-3 years.
Which one of them provided funds for R&D? Please tell me.

Also, 2-3 years? Man portable ATGM has not cleared trials even after 2-3 decades. It failed all trials and has been thrown out by the army with no orders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kishore
Back