HAL to Start Integrating Indigenous Uttam AESA Radar in Tejas Mk1A from 2026

Uttam-AESA-radar-munted-ona-Tejas-LCA.jpg

In a significant step towards bolstering India's self-reliance in defence technology, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has announced plans to integrate the indigenously developed Uttam AESA Fire Control Radar into the LCA-Tejas Mk1A fighter jets starting from 2026. This move marks a major milestone in India's journey towards equipping its frontline fighter aircraft with domestically produced cutting-edge radar systems.

While orders for the Tejas Mk1A are anticipated later this year, the incorporation of the Uttam radar will commence from the 41st aircraft onwards. The initial 40 jets will be equipped with the Israeli ELTA ELM-2052 AESA radar.

Developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the Uttam AESA radar is touted to outperform the ELM-2052 in several key aspects. It has successfully completed over 125 flight tests on Tejas prototypes, demonstrating its reliability and combat readiness.

The production of the Uttam AESA radar is slated to ramp up by 2026, coinciding with the delivery of Tejas Mk1A variants fitted with this advanced system.

The integration of the Uttam radar into the Tejas Mk1A program is expected to significantly enhance the fighter jet's combat capabilities, providing it with superior situational awareness and target acquisition capabilities. Moreover, this development reduces India's reliance on foreign suppliers for critical defence technologies, strengthening its indigenous defense industrial base.

To me ,it was a news when I joined in my job, now I am retired,any how thanks to HAL, Kavery continues to be in dream.
Two more years left for this mk1a integration , may not be headlines ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back