India's P-8I Aircraft to be Armed with Indigenous Dual-Speed Light Torpedo to Bolster Aerial Anti-Submarine Defence

Untitled-design-min-35.png

In a significant stride towards enhancing its anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities, India's Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) has developed the Advanced Light Torpedo (ALWT), which is slated for integration with the P-8I maritime patrol aircraft. This move will notably augment India's aerial ASW prowess.

The ALWT, a lightweight, dual-speed torpedo, has been designed for versatility, enabling deployment from ships, helicopters, and now fixed-wing aircraft like the P-8I. NSTL previously demonstrated its proficiency in air-launched torpedo technology by successfully testing a prototype in 2021 using the now-retired Il-38 maritime patrol aircraft.

The ALWT's capabilities are noteworthy, boasting a range of 25 kilometers at a low speed of 25 knots and 12 kilometers at a high speed of 50 knots. This flexibility empowers strategic deployment against submarines in diverse operational scenarios.

The combination of the P-8I's cutting-edge surveillance and tracking systems with the ALWT's destructive potential will create a formidable ASW package. The integration is presently under study, with further details regarding the timeline for implementation pending.

This development underscores India's commitment to indigenous defence technology and self-reliance in critical domains such as anti-submarine warfare.

Not only that Brahmos-NG naval variant should b integrated in future on P-8I.

12 to 25 kms range for ALWT would be a good addition but too close to the enemy submarines.
Too dangerous to get near enemy warships sporting 150+ kms air and missile defense systems.

Better choice would be to install START torpedoes on P-8I in additional to variety of Brahmos missiles.

Good idea indeed.

12 to 25 kms range for ALWT would be a good addition but too close to the enemy submarines.
Too dangerous to get near enemy warships sporting 150+ kms air and missile defense systems.

Better choice would be to install START torpedoes on P-8I in additional to variety of Brahmos missiles.

Good idea indeed.
Going by the photographs of the SMART system, I'd say the missile might be too large to fit on the P-8I. That said, if some modified variant of the SMART missile can be integrated, then nothing like it.

Not only that Brahmos-NG naval variant should b integrated in future on P-8I.
That might be difficult, considering the Indo-Russian origins of the BrahMos and the fact that the P-8I is an American-origin aircraft.

Going by the photographs of the SMART system, I'd say the missile might be too large to fit on the P-8I. That said, if some modified variant of the SMART missile can be integrated, then nothing like it.
I think that it might be possible if it’s launched from the undercarriage which could hold more weight and face less vibration and fluctuations. It wouldn’t be possible or ideal to carry it under the wing because of the size and weight. The only issue is whether the USA will integrate it on their plane and if they did then will it be at an affordable and reasonable price which is something they are not known for.

I think that it might be possible if it’s launched from the undercarriage which could hold more weight and face less vibration and fluctuations. It wouldn’t be possible or ideal to carry it under the wing because of the size and weight. The only issue is whether the USA will integrate it on their plane and if they did then will it be at an affordable and reasonable price which is something they are not known for.
I am not sure whether you can carry it on the undercarriage considering the landing gears as well as the fact that a very long missile that close to the ground would make take-off far more difficult.

This is a very important and key capability that we needed as we no longer have to rely on the USA for foreign expensive light torpedoes. It seems like the USA are prepared to make concessions as previously they would only allow USA made ammunition to be used on their products.

Hopefully they can allow us to integrate more indigenously developed technology, parts, components or sensors to improve or sustain the plane which would be ideal.

I am not sure whether you can carry it on the undercarriage considering the landing gears as well as the fact that a very long missile that close to the ground would make take-off far more difficult.
Yes that wouldn’t work if that’s the case. But we have developed the missile to be used on our ships and to do that they would have made sure to keep the same dimensions as the Brahmos missile. We can definitely fit those type of dimensions under the carriage without it effecting the landing gear and space. This would be a major force multiplier if we can achieve that.

Yes that wouldn’t work if that’s the case. But we have developed the missile to be used on our ships and to do that they would have made sure to keep the same dimensions as the Brahmos missile. We can definitely fit those type of dimensions under the carriage without it effecting the landing gear and space. This would be a major force multiplier if we can achieve that.
Going by photographs, it does look like the SMART missiles are larger than the BrahMos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back