INS Nilgiri, India's Most Advanced Stealth Frigate, Begins Sea Trials

GV2BbL3W8AA0CFg

In a significant leap for India's naval prowess, the first of the Project 17A (Alpha) stealth frigates, INS Nilgiri, has commenced its sea trials. This marks a major milestone in the modernization of the Indian Navy, as INS Nilgiri represents the most advanced frigate in its fleet.

Designed as a derivative of the indigenous Shivalik class stealth frigates, the Nilgiri class boasts an array of cutting-edge technology. It is already equipped with MF-STAR radar, Terma Scanter radar, and RBU-6000 ASW systems. The frigate is also set to be armed with Shtil-1 and Barak-8 Long-range SAM systems, the DRDO Shakti electronic warfare system, and BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.

Its sophisticated combined diesel and gas (CODAG) propulsion system allows it to reach speeds of up to 28 knots, making it a potent first line of defence for the Indian Navy Carrier Battle Groups (CBG).

This momentous occasion, occurring 80 months after the block erection began at Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL), showcases the efficiency and dedication of the Indian Navy, the Ministry of Defence, and MDL. INS Nilgiri now holds the distinction of being the fastest-built lead ship among the Indian Navy's large modern warships.

As the lead ship of the P17A frigate class, also referred to as the Shivalik-class frigates, INS Nilgiri is a testament to India's growing indigenous warship building capabilities. These multi-role stealth frigates are outfitted with state-of-the-art weaponry, sensors, and communication systems, significantly bolstering the nation's maritime security.

These Nilgiri class warships should carry one NH-90 ASW and one NH-90 Naval frigate Helicopter ! Also arm them with C-dome and Laser dome air defence systems !

Finally. After so many delays, Nilgiri is out for trials. MDL now seems to be on schedule as per their revised timeline of delivering Nilgiri for commissioning by February.

One only hopes we will see the speed up for following ships as the kinks have hopefully been worked out to a large extent.

P.S. The Project 17A frigates are the Nilgiri-class, not the Shivalik-class. That is Project 17.

Finally. After so many delays, Nilgiri is out for trials. MDL now seems to be on schedule as per their revised timeline of delivering Nilgiri for commissioning by February.

One only hopes we will see the speed up for following ships as the kinks have hopefully been worked out to a large extent.

P.S. The Project 17A frigates are the Nilgiri-class, not the Shivalik-class. That is Project 17.
Project 17B class is Shivalik-class Destroyers, I believe.

Project 17B class is Shivalik-class Destroyers, I believe.
Nope. The Project 17B frigates are planned to be modified and possibly up-gunned variants of the Nilgiri-class. Eight ships are planned with a total cost of around Rs. 70,000 crore. CCS clearance is expected within a few months (by the end of the year).

Nope. The Project 17B frigates are planned to be modified and possibly up-gunned variants of the Nilgiri-class. Eight ships are planned with a total cost of around Rs. 70,000 crore. CCS clearance is expected within a few months (by the end of the year).
I read about a story about P-18 class Destroyers and Frigates designed by IN WDB with 144 missile silos for that contract of Rs. 70,000 crores.

I will check it out. Thanks.

I read about a story about P-18 class Destroyers and Frigates designed by IN WDB with 144 missile silos for that contract of Rs. 70,000 crores.

I will check it out. Thanks.
Sir, the P-18 NGDs are still in the early design phase. Moreover, they will first require DAC approval. Also, given that there are 8-10 ships planned and the cost of the P-15A and P-15B ships, I have a feeling even 8 P-18s would cost us quite a bit more than 70,000 crores.

Japanese & Chinese shipyards build some of the largest ships in 4 months flat. I know that naval ships are different but if we took 7 years to build the ship, I think that it might be wiser to be quiet about our efficiency in shipbuilding.

Japanese & Chinese shipyards build some of the largest ships in 4 months flat. I know that naval ships are different but if we took 7 years to build the ship, I think that it might be wiser to be quiet about our efficiency in shipbuilding.
Indian shipyards are labour intensive.. we need to import or co-develop the necessary skills and machine tools with Korean, Japanese and European shipbuilding firms with use of block assembly to ensure minimum time from laying of keel to launch of vessels and to outfitting of weaponry and sensors etc. We are running out of time.

Wow dont know whether they even realize that taking almost 7 long years to build a frigate ,does not qualify to be termed as a fast launch. The average time for building a frigate is about 4-4.5 years a heavy frigate should not take any more than 5 years at the most.

MAZDOCK Mumbai needs to upgrade its infrastructure with a heavy lift crane of over 900 to 1200 tons so that bigger blocks can be assembled ashore and timelines for construction , fitting out , trials reduced to less than 4to 5 years .Maz dock costs of construction together with equipment suppliers are now almost reached European and American costs and frigates which should cost no more than 3000 crores are being Lumped on to the navy for 10000 crores each with massive padding of costs and pilferage by suppliers , contractors , Mazdock , political powers brokers , industrialists , babus and employees of the shipyard .

India is improving its ship building capabilities but they need to build it at a faster speed. These frigates are important and we should be improving the technology regularly.

Sir, the P-18 NGDs are still in the early design phase. Moreover, they will first require DAC approval. Also, given that there are 8-10 ships planned and the cost of the P-15A and P-15B ships, I have a feeling even 8 P-18s would cost us quite a bit more than 70,000 crores.
I must have been confused about it all.
Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back