Lockheed Martin Offers India Upgraded C-130J 'Super Hercules' with Attack Capabilities for Special Ops

main-569.jpg

U.S. defense giant Lockheed Martin has put forth a proposal to supply India with a customized C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft designed explicitly for special operations. This offer aligns with the Indian Air Force's (IAF) tender for Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA).

Lockheed Martin aims to leverage the IAF's positive experience with the standard C-130J, which has already proven valuable for rapid deployment by India's National Security Guard (NSG). The proposed C-130J-SOF variant boasts further enhancements, catering to the diverse needs of special forces operations.

This specialized aircraft promises versatility, combining traditional transport capabilities with advanced features for combat search and rescue, infiltration, exfiltration, and mid-air refueling. Its ability to provide humanitarian relief adds to its wide-ranging utility.

Notably, the C-130J-SOF can transform into a potent combat asset when equipped with a 30mm cannon and precision-guided missiles, offering close air support and armed reconnaissance capabilities. Enhanced defensive countermeasures, sensors, and night vision capabilities will further amplify its operational effectiveness.

Lockheed Martin underscores the aircraft's adaptability and customization potential, allowing the IAF to tailor the C-130J-SOF to their unique requirements. This proposal signifies a considerable advancement in India's pursuit of a world-class special operations capability.

I recently learnt that India's defence exports which have sky rocketed in past few years is mainly because of 1 country. The US. US is the largest customer for our defence exports.

this is mainly because of its offset commitments when we buy american defence equipment. Unlike france, US fulfills its offset commitments. We should buy more from US, as it means US will buy more from us and help grow our exports.

regarding the delays in delivery of some of our american orders, we recently signed an agreement called SOSA with america. This means we will be prioritised when it comes to fulfilling orders.

I recently learnt that India's defence exports which have sky rocketed in past few years is mainly because of 1 country. The US. US is the largest customer for our defence exports.

this is mainly because of its offset commitments when we buy american defence equipment. Unlike france, US fulfills its offset commitments. We should buy more from US, as it means US will buy more from us and help grow our exports.

regarding the delays in delivery of some of our american orders, we recently signed an agreement called SOSA with america. This means we will be prioritised when it comes to fulfilling orders.
Although economics is important but autonomy is more important. We should not buy very critical stuff from the US. Need to get atmanirbhar in jet engine tech ASAP.

Fantastic idea. The C-130J is a rugged aircraft type with a very distinguished service history, both in India and abroad. Moreover, keeping in mind that the type has even carried a 105mm gun on it at on point (the AC-130 variant), there is definitely both the scope and the need for such a variant.

On top of that, if we do go with the C-130J under MTA, we could also get a small number of KC-130Js to augment the Il-78 fleet while those are gradually replaced over time.

I'll go through the SOSA text once it is made public in the near future, but as far as I know, signing SOSA automatically doesn't guarantee supplies. These are non-binding agreements that companies voluntarily enter into. Once they do enter, though, they have to prioritise supply of items.

That said, I am also fairly certain companies like Lockheed Martin, General Electric, Boeing, General Atomics, etc. will almost certainly enter the India-USA SOSA. On our end, we may have firms like BEL, BDL, Solar Explosives, maybe some of the dockyards, and others entering.

Fantastic idea. The C-130J is a rugged aircraft type with a very distinguished service history, both in India and abroad. Moreover, keeping in mind that the type has even carried a 105mm gun on it at on point (the AC-130 variant), there is definitely both the scope and the need for such a variant.

On top of that, if we do go with the C-130J under MTA, we could also get a small number of KC-130Js to augment the Il-78 fleet while those are gradually replaced over time.
I agree and feel that the C-130J would be good for our MTA program, if we can get the assembly line to India making us the hub for this, for all customers including US with MRO, domestic supplier ecosystem…this won’t solve for IL76/78s which in any case require a different solution…we could in theory ask the Americans to give us 8-10 C-17s either used or from their reserves, as we negotiate for MTA, though the players are different - Lockheed and Boeing, but if we can do it under FMS, then maybe…We should also sign the RPD procurement program after SOSA…

Although economics is important but autonomy is more important. We should not buy very critical stuff from the US. Need to get atmanirbhar in jet engine tech ASAP.
Agreed, but we are at least 10 years away from our own engine tech provided we keep funding, pushing and start work on the 110kn clean slate design with safran…

I'll go through the SOSA text once it is made public in the near future, but as far as I know, signing SOSA automatically doesn't guarantee supplies. These are non-binding agreements that companies voluntarily enter into. Once they do enter, though, they have to prioritise supply of items.

That said, I am also fairly certain companies like Lockheed Martin, General Electric, Boeing, General Atomics, etc. will almost certainly enter the India-USA SOSA. On our end, we may have firms like BEL, BDL, Solar Explosives, maybe some of the dockyards, and others entering.
India munitions players may see a bonanza e.g. 155mm shells, other munitions for reserves as Ukraine is depleting them fast…

I wouldn’t say that the USA are only buying products because of their offset obligations. The main priority is to delink indirect Chinese military trade and foreign content from American military products like dual use technology, components, chips, parts, electronics, raw materials used, rare earth minerals, robots and other services. At the same time they want to boost the Indian economy to slowly replace China and importing from India is better as it grows our economy. Also with the recent sanctions and laws passed by the USA against China in primarily refusing to buy products or raw materials produced or manufactured from the Uyghur slave labour has made an impact as well so USA companies have turned to India.

Also the USA have delayed in discharging some of their offset agreements regularly with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, textron etc have even been fined. One reason why we aren’t purchasing more ASW P8I is because of that delay. Other countries have been fined as well like Dassault, MBDA, Thales and companies from Russia, Italy and Switzerland and Israel.

I agree and feel that the C-130J would be good for our MTA program, if we can get the assembly line to India making us the hub for this, for all customers including US with MRO, domestic supplier ecosystem…this won’t solve for IL76/78s which in any case require a different solution…we could in theory ask the Americans to give us 8-10 C-17s either used or from their reserves, as we negotiate for MTA, though the players are different - Lockheed and Boeing, but if we can do it under FMS, then maybe…We should also sign the RPD procurement program after SOSA…
Lockheed already sources airframe parts for the C-130J from India. In fact, the tail empennage for all C-130s built in the last decade or so have come from India.

Moreover, the C-130 still is in a fair amount of demand, and a number of operators of legacy C-130s are also eyeing C-130Js. In such a scenario, LM already has plans to keep the US lines going well into the 2040s, and with a second line in India, this would help both nations.

You are entirely correct that this doesn't fix our Il-76 replacement problem. Only the A400M arguably does that, but the A400M is also known to be extremely expensive (over 220 million USD each in today's money).

For the Il-76 replacements, we could join the US on the future airlifter program (also possibly bring in other nations who had wanted to buy C-17s when the lines closed). In the meantime, we could buy / lease 7-12 C-17s from the US. Once that program concludes, an order of 20-ish aircraft (possibly with selling off some of the oldest C-17s) would give us a good fleet number.

The plan looks good on paper and it has also been done by some countries in large scale operations during invasion of hostile country or for dropping SOF operatives behind enemy line in large numbers. But the question is, is it viable for India? Will we be invading a hostile country or will there be the need to mount large scale covert operations behind enemy lines? And for such a large and expensive plane, the countermeasures would have to be totally state of the art......like countering enemy anti aircraft missiles and guns and deadly drones (even a cheap high altitude drone can take it out). Just my humble opinions.
No pun intended.

The US is desperate to get rid of this platform! Analysts have already said that the project is close to the upgrade limit, making it unlikely that large numbers of orders and upgrades will be made. A study by a US naval institute says that the model no longer offers a significant improvement for its missions, as would be the case with the C-390.

Don't buy American when you Airbus & Emraer to choose. Americans not trusted anymore look at GE Engine fiasco

SOSA is non binding !

While the plane and technology are very good the maximum amount of payload it can carry is about 20T which comes under the low weight category.

India needs to have a transport plane which can at the very least carry 30T and more. This will give us more flexibility in what and the amount of payload we can carry and operate. Also this will allow us to easily carry out future upgrades in the technology and equipment without sacrificing our air speed and engine condition.

Also whichever company that wins the contract we need to make sure that a high amount of technology is transferred to us, it’s manufactured in India with indigenous content.

This should also be the last time that India makes a foreign deal to buy our MTA requirements. We should learn as much as we can from this expensive foreign MTA deal so we can design, develop and manufacture our own MTA in future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajju
Back