Lockheed Martin to Collaborate with Indian Partner for C-130J Production under Make in India Initiative

Lockheed Martin to Collaborate with Indian Partner for C-130J Production under Make in India Initiative

Leading international aerospace and defence manufacturer Lockheed Martin has stated that, as part of the Make in India initiative, it will choose a local partner to provide the Indian Air Force (IAF) with a C-130J.

Head of Lockheed Martin's international business development for the tactical airlifter, Nicholas Smythe, reaffirmed the company's intention to collaborate with an Indian organisation. This collaboration is in line with the Indian government's "Make in India" initiative, which seeks to advance homegrown production and autonomy in the defence industry.

Officials from Lockheed Martin stated that they intend to choose a local partner in the next two to three months. With this move, they hope to strengthen their competitive offer in the IAF's contract for 40–80 medium transport aircraft and set up a final assembly line in India.

In the event that Lockheed Martin wins the contract, Smythe made hints about the prospect of choosing other partners to help with the C-130J's industrialization in India. Since the program's beginning in 1952, Marietta, Georgia, has been home to the original C-130J manufacturing facility. This collaboration may result in the development of a second site globally.

Recently, Mahindra and Embraer Defence & Security announced that they had inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the aim of working together to fulfil the Indian Air Force's forthcoming Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA) procurement project, which includes the acquisition of C-390 Millennium multi-mission aircraft. At Brazil's Embassy in New Delhi, the Memorandum of Understanding was signed.

C-130J cargo carrying capacity does not meet MTA cargo size requirements of about 25 to 30 MTs.
So it will be diffcult for it to win.

If LM has a MTA in design, then it can work with Indian company to design a MTA jointly and build it.

If I am Embraer, then I would fall head over heels and offer everything to India to get its 50 MTA contract.
It will be a win-win business.

C-130J cargo carrying capacity does not meet MTA cargo size requirements of about 25 to 30 MTs.
The requirements as defined in RFI is for a transporter capable of transporting about 18-30 Tons. Thus C-130 meets the requirement of minimum payload requirement.

This one is going to Embraer..mark my words! C130J will remain only direct import...i believe this is how it will pan out....Embraer's bid will be lower, LM will use all political muscle to clinch, but in the end Govt will find a simpler solution, buy a few untis directly from LM and finalize the deal with Embraer...citing insufficient ToT by LM and lower costs of Embraer

This one is going to Embraer..mark my words! C130J will remain only direct import...i believe this is how it will pan out....Embraer's bid will be lower, LM will use all political muscle to clinch, but in the end Govt will find a simpler solution, buy a few untis directly from LM and finalize the deal with Embraer...citing insufficient ToT by LM and lower costs of Embraer
C130j of India crashed killng crew was due too over stating it's capability by manufacture, have lack of certain instrumentation as restricted in India, wake turbulence and mountain turbulence that brought aircraft down. So C130j has little chance of winning.

C130 J is a very good option for IAF. Tried tested and proven workhorse. Very rugged and has good safety records.

C130j of India crashed killng crew was due too over stating it's capability by manufacture, have lack of certain instrumentation as restricted in India, wake turbulence and mountain turbulence that brought aircraft down. So C130j has little chance of winning.
This can happen to any aircraft. C130 J has very good safety records.

India must give up lethargy state and make it's own MTA. It is shameful not to do so.
It’s clear to GoI that DRDO and HAL can’t do it. That’s why C295 deal went to Tata. Start with assembly, then move to designing in the next generation. They are already modifying the Grob. Only Tata’s and Adanis can make us a global defence power now. GoI needs to dissolve DRDO and give all their budget to these big companies and startups.

Conspiracy theories. IAF’s court of inquiry clearly stated that pilot’s error was responsible for that crash.

Whichever company that wins the contract they need to make sure that they make the plane in India with a significant amount of technology transferred and local production in India. This should be the last foreign medium transport plane that we ever import and we should learn how to design and develop our own transport plane as much as possible.

I think C-130J carries only 16.9 MT.
Gotta checkout.
Already checked it is 20,227 kilograms or 44,500 pounds maximum payload with operational payload hovering at about 19.958 kilograms. 1000 Kilograms=1 ton, so almost 20 tons

Conspiracy theories. IAF’s court of inquiry clearly stated that pilot’s error was responsible for that crash.
IAF court of inquiry hardly ever blames OEM's . It is too shameless that denies wake mountain turbulent air killed the crew, and the biggest proof was that it slammed to the ground, horizontally. The crew did not have time even for mayday. They crew was directly to follow and be in formation and so not the crew fault.

Since c295 is a 9+ ton capable ✈️ hope they go for a 25+to ✈️. If Embraer wins this deal then it will be their biggest order. So Embraer should offer something which can't be refused or it will go to Airbus and LM because they have more financial capabilities and lobby even though the SC has bought a question mark on electoral bonds. Hope this deal won't go to a private player like what previously goes to dpsu which is simply screwdriving but offers more to developing our aircraft manufacturing capabilities so we don't have to go for such rfi in the future.

The requirements as defined in RFI is for a transporter capable of transporting about 18-30 Tons. Thus C-130 meets the requirement of minimum payload requirement.
Embraer is like Gripen, OEM only assembles them. every part comes from different Country in the World, better to go for CJ-130 assembling.

Looking at the comments section makes me tizzy. We already have quite a collection of technology. British, Russian, French, American!!

If I had the powers I will stick to Lockheed C130, infact the C295, IMO was wrong. We could have asked Lockheed so many 4 Engine C130, can they design 2 Engine 9 to 10 Tonne class Transporter for use by IAF and exports but the 2 Engine plane to be made exclusively in India for the IAF and exports.

This helps with training, maintenance and we have control over the supply chain.

With the west you need to show them the money and they will take it.

The Italians designed the C27J and Boeing bought into the Program.

Our problem is inspite of having large requirements, for some reason we always buy piecemeal.

The C295 deal was not needed, had we thought it out we could have tied up with Lockheed as explained above and had both aircrafts from one manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back