Opinion Pakistan's Rhetoric Based "Azm-i-Istehkam" Counter-Terrorism Operation Backfiring

pakistan-is-losing-too-many-soldiers-in-counter-terrorism-operations-1687411751-1200.jpeg

Pakistan's recent counter-terrorism operation, Azm-i-Istehkam ("Strong Resolve for Stability"), has raised significant concerns about its efficacy and potential for escalating regional instability.

Announced on June 22nd under pressure from China following the killing of five Chinese nationals, this "reinvigorated" military campaign aims to tackle extremism and terrorism comprehensively.

However, its aggressive rhetoric, including threats to target groups within Afghanistan, has strained relations with Kabul and raised questions about Pakistan's overall approach to combating terrorism.

A History of Counter-Terrorism Operations​

Azm-i-Istehkam is the latest in a series of military efforts by Pakistan to address terrorism.

Previous campaigns, such as Zarb-e-Azb (2014) and Radd-ul-Fasaad, achieved limited success due to their focus on military action while neglecting the root causes of extremism.

The 2021 regime change in Afghanistan, initially viewed as a potential boon for Pakistan's security, backfired as the Taliban proved unwilling to act against the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), a group with ideological ties to the Afghan Taliban.

Escalating Tensions with Afghanistan​

The breakdown of a ceasefire between Pakistan and the TTP in November 2022 has led to a surge in terrorist attacks within Pakistan.

Islamabad blames the Afghan Taliban for providing sanctuary to TTP militants, while Kabul denies these allegations and accuses Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) of supporting the Islamic State Khorasan (ISK).

Cross-border airstrikes conducted by Pakistan in March 2024 further strained relations. These strikes, condemned by the Afghan Taliban, highlighted the deep mistrust between the two countries.

Potential for Further Destabilization​

Pakistan's threats to continue cross-border operations raise concerns about regional stability. Such actions risk violating international norms and could ignite a broader conflict.

The effectiveness of such a strategy is questionable, as it may only provoke retaliatory attacks and deepen the cycle of violence.

A Misguided Approach?​

Critics argue that Pakistan's focus on military action, while neglecting the underlying socio-economic and ideological factors that fuel extremism, is misguided.

The pursuit of external threats may serve as a distraction from the government's failure to address the root causes of terrorism within its own borders.

To achieve lasting security and stability, Pakistan must adopt a multi-pronged approach that addresses the root causes of terrorism. This includes promoting economic development, addressing social grievances, and countering extremist ideologies.

A purely militaristic approach, as exemplified by Operation Azm-i-Istehkam, is unlikely to yield lasting results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dilip
Back