US Arrow Denial Fuels India's Missile Defence Ambitions, Reaches New Heights

US Arrow Denial Fuels India's Missile Defence Ambitions, Reaches New Heights

The recent successful interception of Iranian missiles and drones by Israel's Arrow defence system has reignited global interest in the technology. However, for India, this success evokes a past setback when the US denied export of the Arrow-2 system due to its American components. This denial, instead of deterring India, has fueled the nation's ambition to develop its own indigenous Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) program, which has now reached new heights.

India's BMD program has made significant strides in recent years, culminating in the successful test of a new ship-based interceptor missile in April 2023. This achievement, led by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), demonstrates India's growing prowess in missile defence technology. It also underscores the country's commitment to self-reliance in safeguarding its security interests.

While the Arrow system remains a potent defence solution, its reliance on US components has proven to be a stumbling block for potential buyers like India who seek greater autonomy in their defence capabilities. This has inadvertently catalyzed India's efforts to create a homegrown alternative, leading to substantial advancements in its BMD program.

India's pursuit of indigenous missile defence technology is not just a matter of national pride but a strategic necessity. The country faces potential threats from neighboring nations with ballistic missile capabilities. By developing its own BMD system, India can ensure its security without relying on external suppliers who may have their own geopolitical considerations.

Given the right encouragement and environment our Nation will produce superior systems. However, this is an on going process and continuous improvement is the only constant.

I get your point and I am with you on most factors, my friend. You already know my stance on DPSUs in general and HAL in particular. It takes some serious heavy-lifting to be as ineffective as HAL.

But, with DRDO, there are few success stories that one can not deny. IGMP being one of them. The fact that with organizations like success/failure at DRDO is a function of individual leadership, one cant take it away from those capable leaders/scientists/managers, many of whom would gave spent cash out of own pocket to ensure the work they led or managed does not fall back into a black-hole of failed-projects, which more often than not, is the norm, at DRDO.

My salute was for those few but highly industrious people at DRDO.
There are always some lotus in the swamp. Doesn’t mean the swamp is worth keeping for those. A few people might be good, but DRDO as an organization is now a criminal one that must be stripped down to the last brick. In the name of individual brilliancy, you are also again and again skipping the main part. DRDOnis performing a criminal act. It is not possible without the involvement of entire leadership, especially when done again and again. I am literally talking about illegal frauds happening there which, if it wasn’t a government agency, would have led to departmental investigations and court cases. It’s actually a crime what they are doing.

DRDO should develop the technology and sell it to private parties to manufacture, market and sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neil B.
Back