Why IAF's 4-5 Su-30MKI Squadrons Will Remain Operational Until 2070 Despite Having Tejas and AMCA

su30mki999-1493108255.jpg

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is embarking on a transformative journey, modernizing its fighter fleet by phasing out older Russian jets and embracing indigenously developed aircraft. While the Tejas and the future Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) are poised to play pivotal roles, the Su-30MKI is set to remain a cornerstone of the IAF's aerial prowess for decades to come.

The retirement of the MiG-21Bis and the gradual phasing out of the MiG-29UPG mark the beginning of this transition. These legacy aircraft will be replaced by the Tejas Mk1A and MkII, respectively, showcasing India's growing self-reliance in fighter jet development.

However, the Su-30MKI, a formidable multirole fighter with a proven track record, will continue to serve as the IAF's primary workhorse. With the latest batches inducted relatively recently, the IAF anticipates at least 4-5 Su-30MKI squadrons remaining operational until 2060-70. Upgrades and modernization programs will ensure these aircraft remain combat-effective for years to come.

This extended service life for the Su-30MKI underscores its significance in the IAF's modernization strategy. While the Tejas and AMCA represent the future, the Su-30MKI's capabilities and versatility make it indispensable in the interim. It bridges the gap between legacy platforms and the next generation of indigenous fighters, providing the IAF with a potent and reliable air combat capability.

The phasing out of older Russian jets and the prolonged service life of the Su-30MKI, alongside the induction of Tejas variants, exemplify the IAF's evolving approach to fleet modernization. This strategic shift not only reduces dependence on foreign suppliers but also strengthens India's domestic aerospace industry.

As the IAF embraces the future with the Tejas and AMCA, the Su-30MKI's continued presence ensures a seamless transition and a formidable fighter fleet for the decades ahead. This balanced approach, combining indigenous development with strategic reliance on proven platforms, positions the IAF for a secure and self-reliant future.

After suucess of Building Small & Medium Fighters India should Develop Heavy category Fighter

I think as a part of Super Sukhoi project, India should bargain for the full rights of future Super Sukhois by paying some lump sum money for the full rights.

It is a great fighter and can go on forever with new builds.

Truth is modernization is happening only in papers. We are still using Mig 21s and Jaguar aircraft. Very soon Mig 29 and Mirage 2000 needs replacement. So I'm not sure how are we going to meet the target without a proper acquisition.

AMCA MK1 will replace MIG29's in 2040. M2K Jags gets replaced by MK2 Tejas in 2037 onwards...

I don't think they will serve till 2060-70 they is wild and unreasonable,even 2050 would be a big stretch given the difficulties of maintenance and limited potential for upgrades 😕

Wait and mark my words....We wil have Su-57 is some form and shape....FGFA, direct purchase, limited order, large deal, package deal with N-Subs, etc....Russian aircrafts are loved by IAF due to their ruggedness but disliked due to their low reliability....once Russia opens up (after the Ukraine fiasco) to actual JV and development, Indians will jump on the chance to collaborate on things where India can control IP while still not spending an arm and leg on development...wait and watch...will happen..at least based on what i infer!

Wow, SU30MKI to remain the backbone of IAF for decades to come. What amazing foresight by IAF/MoD and the government.

Wait and mark my words....We wil have Su-57 is some form and shape....FGFA, direct purchase, limited order, large deal, package deal with N-Subs, etc....Russian aircrafts are loved by IAF due to their ruggedness but disliked due to their low reliability....once Russia opens up (after the Ukraine fiasco) to actual JV and development, Indians will jump on the chance to collaborate on things where India can control IP while still not spending an arm and leg on development...wait and watch...will happen..at least based on what i infer!
Nope. Not a single unit. IAF has strictly said no to them.

And IAF doesn’t love Russian planes after flying top end of western planes. All Russian planes were kicked out in MMRCA and IAF refused to do anything with Su57 even after spending 300 million usd.

In fact, even Russia has refused to buy it and cut down orders by 70% 😂😂😂

So no chances whatsoever for that junk.

US sanctions will deter India going for such deals. SU 57 is a closed chapter and MoD has already built a cenotaph with epitaph written on it.

Indians here only fooling themselves when they say that we are replacing legacy Russian fighters with indigenous fighters. DRDO-GTRE has failed to develop indigenous jet engine with requisite thrust even after 35-40 years of work. Forget AMCA that requires advanced high thrust engines GTRE has failed even in Kaveri mk-1 planned for small LCA class fighters. What a shame & disgrace for Entire Nation. You people talk of indigenous fighters. Just manufacture Airframe, assemble everything foreign like pilot seats from UK, tyres, electronics and most important American GE engines that is back bone of a fighter and call it Indigenous. What a Big liar our Establishment is and how foolish you enthusiasts are. Pity on you People.

Then HUGE sanctions by BOTH Japan and Biden and UK also!!

Wow, SU30MKI to remain the backbone of IAF for decades to come. What amazing foresight by IAF/MoD and the government.
HAL is the whole problem with average of only 4 Tejas jets delivered to IAF per year... NOW, MoD have DEMANDED that HAL has to deliver 18 nos. MK1A jets by April 1st 2025... Let us see if they can deliver even one Tejas MK1A jet to IAF in this year itself?

Truth is modernization is happening only in papers. We are still using Mig 21s and Jaguar aircraft. Very soon Mig 29 and Mirage 2000 needs replacement. So I'm not sure how are we going to meet the target without a proper acquisition.
Did you know and does anybody here realize that IAF is now down to just 30 squadrons after last MIG21's are retired?? PAF is now at 35 squadrons with JF17 BlkIII and J10CE advanced 4.5 gen. jets!

Hopefully, much needed is engine tech and jamming tech, lets see.

Currently we need to start the Super Sukhoi upgrade program so that we can still use this jet for the next 20 years. The AMCA is going to replace the Sukhoi jets but it will take time for production to start and slowly replace the Sukhoi jets.

We will need to start at least 6-8 production lines if we want to replace the Sukhoi jets very quickly as by the time the AMCA is ready for production the technology, equipment and capability of the Sukhoi jet will be around 40 years old and barely functioning and fit for modern combat as others will be using their 6th generation jets if it becomes a reality and viable.

Indians here only fooling themselves when they say that we are replacing legacy Russian fighters with indigenous fighters. DRDO-GTRE has failed to develop indigenous jet engine with requisite thrust even after 35-40 years of work. Forget AMCA that requires advanced high thrust engines GTRE has failed even in Kaveri mk-1 planned for small LCA class fighters. What a shame & disgrace for Entire Nation. You people talk of indigenous fighters. Just manufacture Airframe, assemble everything foreign like pilot seats from UK, tyres, electronics and most important American GE engines that is back bone of a fighter and call it Indigenous. What a Big liar our Establishment is and how foolish you enthusiasts are. Pity on you People.
Currently they are going to use the Kaveri dry thrust engine for the stealth UCAV Ghatak drone which will increase our fire power. We are also developing the Kaveri marine engine which showing good progress which will allow us to use it for small to medium naval ships.

All of that was only possible thanks to the current PM and party to use what we have developed.

As for the Tejas MK1A fighter they will increase the amount of indigenous content, technology and equipment as they produce the jet in batches or squadrons. This allows us to increase the number of squadrons we need because of the delay and using some foreign parts, technology, components, sensors etc will allow us to do that. At the same time we increase the amount of indigenous content and replace those parts, technology and components as we develop it ourselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back