Why India Suspended $520 Million Deal for 10 KA-31 AEW&C Helicopters from Russia

article_5ccdc41bd8a467_35818017.jpg

The ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict has disrupted India's plans to procure KA-31 helicopters from Russia for its new indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant.

Despite discussions to purchase 10 KA-31 Airborne Early Warning helicopters, the proposed $520 million deal faces significant uncertainty.

Sources indicate that sanctions imposed on Russia have complicated payment, even as India and Russia explore ways to circumvent them. Furthermore, there are concerns about Russia's ability to deliver the helicopters given its military commitments in Ukraine.

India already possesses 14 KA-31 helicopters and intended to procure 10 more, but doubts have arisen about Russia's capability to fulfill this order. The Indian Navy sought these helicopters to enhance its warships' radar capabilities, providing early warning against surface and low-flying threats within a 200 km radius.

The Russia-Ukraine war has prompted the Indian Army and Navy to assess its impact on India's security and military hardware supply. India has a long-standing dependence on Russia for military equipment, with estimates suggesting a significant portion of its current arsenal originates from Russia.

Furthermore, concerns exist about Russia's ability to deliver the second unit of the S-400 Triumf air defense missile systems to India on time due to the ongoing conflict and sanctions. While some training equipment and simulators have arrived, the first of five S-400s was delivered in December 2021.

IAC-II is closer than it first seems. We should definitely go for EMALS on IAC-III, and the decade or so we have until she is approved will be enough to get a working EMALS as well as potentially integrate nuclear propulsion.
nuclear propulsion i would love on the 65000tin carriers but given we need to start building them in early 2030s may not be possible…but for sure if say we build 4 such carriers, 5 years apart the carrier 3/4 can have nuclear propulsion…we must have a roadmap and plan linked to a formal NSS….

nuclear propulsion i would love on the 65000tin carriers but given we need to start building them in early 2030s may not be possible…but for sure if say we build 4 such carriers, 5 years apart the carrier 3/4 can have nuclear propulsion…we must have a roadmap and plan linked to a formal NSS….
Sir, I feel IAC-III will start construction after IAC-II is cleared for sea trials at the very least. Based on that, assuming that DAC approval is given by the end of this year, IAC-aiII's construction will not start until after 2035.

As such, there is a more than decent chance that Vikramaditya may be retired a year or two before IAC-III is ready. In any case, that much time (a decade or so from now) is enough time to increase yhe size of IAC-III to 75,000-85,000 tons as well as get the 190 MW reactors ready for installation as well.

These ideas must be used only for our 65000 ton twin carriers which will hopefully have EMALS Catobar…can we see these getting operationalized by 2040? i really hope…
I highly doubt it, Sir. The way I see it, IAC-III will be operational by 2045 or so, and if we assume an identical IAC-IV, that ship may enter service by 2050 or so.

2040 would be a good timeline to have to have IAC-II fully operational and see Vikramaditya going into the reserves or something.

Oh, and Sir, it had escaped my mind back then, but thanks to Sh. Deepak Hegde's comment, we should also remember that the MH-60 and Ka-31 aren't interchangeable. The former is an ASW helicopter, whole the latter is an AWACS chopper. Granted, the MH-60 can give some level of airborne scanning, but this will be a sup-optimal use of the helicopter, and will pose operational constraints.
Anant, Ka 31 deploys an antenna from its underbelly to scan for aerial threats.

On the other hand, MH-60R has a Multi-Mode and Synthetic Aperture Radars to do aerial surveillance.
Not sure at all about comparison of both aerial surveillances.

But as I said before, MH-60R is one of the best ASW helicopter in the world.

Remember one thing that most of our warships and carriers have 400+ kms MF-STAR AESA radars and trying to install Spanish Lanza surveillance radars which look up to 450+ kms.

So all in all I am happy at the way Indian Navy taking care of its own interests unlike the other two services.

Best regards, sir.

Hi,"INCREDIBLE INDIA",has always picked the wrong partners starting from "RUSSIA",who still are lagging in technology,the worst part even after so many setbacks we are still partnering with them when the world is the market,where we can pick & choose 😡😡😡
Do some reading. US has delayed supply of AH64 Apaches to the Indian Army promised 4 years ago and now delaying remaining Apaches. GE Aerospace delaying F404/414 engine components and Tejas MkIA rollout for obvious reasons while French Safran and Dassault refusing ToT after 'promising' everything... Like it or not Russia is India's most reliable and stable partner and if Ukraine has proven anything it is that, NATO weapons are paper tigers designed to defeat people who can't fight back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NVS
Back