Airbus Makes a Strong Case for A400M in IAF's Medium Transport Aircraft Competition

Airbus Makes a Strong Case for A400M in IAF's Medium Transport Aircraft Competition

Airbus, a leading European aerospace company, strategically showcased its military capabilities at India's significant military exercise, 'Tarang Shakti.' The highlight was the demonstration of their A400M military transport aircraft, positioning it as a strong contender for the Indian Air Force's (IAF) plan to acquire 60-80 Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA).

The A400M demonstration in Tamil Nadu this August, alongside the German Air Force's deployment of Tornado jets, Eurofighters, and A330 mid-air refuelling tankers, underscores Airbus's intent to secure multiple IAF contracts. Notably, the Eurofighter is competing in the IAF's MRFA tender for new fighter jets, while the A330 is being considered for their need for six mid-air refuelling tankers.

Airbus leverages its successful C-295M transport aircraft program in India, manufactured locally by the Tata Group, as a blueprint for potential A400M production. However, the A400M's price, potentially inflated due to its complex European supply chain, presents a challenge.

Despite this, Airbus remains optimistic about the A400M's fit for the IAF, emphasizing its alignment with their requirements for a modern and versatile medium transport aircraft. The Tarang Shakti demonstration serves as a pivotal platform for Airbus to prove the A400M's capabilities and potentially secure a significant role in the IAF's future fleet.

Additional open-source information reveals that the A400M Atlas is a multi-national four-engine turboprop military transport aircraft designed by Airbus Defence and Space. It is capable of carrying a wide range of cargo, including heavy vehicles, helicopters, and even other aircraft. It has a maximum payload of 37 tonnes and a range of over 3,300 nautical miles.

It is important to note that the final decision regarding the MTA contract rests with the Indian government and the IAF, and various factors, including cost, performance, and strategic considerations, will influence their choice.

India needs a consortium to build these type aircraft itself. developing OUR OWN MTA would be less costly than wasting resource on foreign products. It highly shameful neither RTA or MTA has been initiated, but these types of scams are there to keep India undeveloped AND BACKWARD.

For Indian C-295, India only manufactures the body and screwdrives all of avionics and landing gear coming from France/Spain.
It will not be any different for A400M.

India will spend lots of money and operate them for decades on it so it must go for a best possible deal.
Do not fall for all the tall promises of manufacturing in India.

Perhaps C-130J and C-390 should also be given very careful considerations.

One excellent contender for replacing the Il-76 is the Antonov An-70, which is still stuck in prototype stage after development stalled due to lack of orders about a decade back. Similar specifications and payload capabilities, though the An-70, being a propeller aircraft, may struggle at high altitudes.

I know our relations with Ukraine are not a point where we can directly consider the An-70, but it is something worth looking into, especially because the Ukrainian Air Force was also considering the type for service just before Covid, and subsequently Russia's abortive invasion, hit home.

For Indian C-295, India only manufactures the body and screwdrives all of avionics and landing gear coming from France/Spain.

India will spend lots of money and operate them for decades on it so it must go for a best possible deal.

Good point, but I have some very serious doubts about replacing a large airlifter like the Il-76 with a mid-sized C-130J or C-390.

Perhaps we could look at the An-70? It is essentially a propeller-driven Il-76 replacement in many aspects.

Good point, but I have some very serious doubts about replacing a large airlifter like the Il-76 with a mid-sized C-130J or C-390.

Perhaps we could look at the An-70? It is essentially a propeller-driven Il-76 replacement in many aspects.
An70 is also mid category not an heavy lifter it not make any sense to replace heavy lifter with the mid ones on top of that an 70 is Ukrainian plane india not feasible in terms of foreign policy as well as current situation of Ukrainian is also not feasible hence to replace older il 76 we need il76md 90a latest version with 60ton payload carring capacity upto 4000km which will easily full fill india needs + india has already experience to fly il76 thus not much traing will required + these latest il76md 90a has better engines and better maintenance then the previous one so added advantage too.

An70 is also mid category not an heavy lifter it not make any sense to replace heavy lifter with the mid ones on top of that an 70 is Ukrainian plane india not feasible in terms of foreign policy as well as current situation of Ukrainian is also not feasible hence to replace older il 76 we need il76md 90a latest version with 60ton payload carring capacity upto 4000km which will easily full fill india needs + india has already experience to fly il76 thus not much traing will required + these latest il76md 90a has better engines and better maintenance then the previous one so added advantage too.
The Antonov An-70 is not a medium lift aircraft. The An-70 has a maximum capacity of 47 tons vs An Il-76MD's 48 tons. The An-70 has a lower range than the Il-76, which is one of the main places where it lags behind.

Oh, and I have mentioned in my comment (either this one or the stand-alone comment on this post) that the An-70 is not entirely feasible due to foreign policy considerations. However, assuming that the lower performance of the An-70 (a propeller-driven aircraft) at high altitudes is not too much of an issue, the An-70 could make for an excellent aircraft, especially if production at scale would bring more customers.

Coming to the Il-76MD-90A, it is a new aircraft in name only. The base design is still very old, not to mention that the concerns about serviceability of the Il-76MD that we operate won't suddenly go away with a modernised Il-76MD-90A. Yes, the 60 ton capacity is a massive plus, but it is still, in effect, new wine in an old bottle. Moreover, I think it is high time we move away from Russia for high-profile arms purchases.

A400Ms make strategic sense, given we already are starting a C-295 line, if we can solve for life- cycle cost and TOT…I don’t foresee IAF going for Russian designs…Ideal would be a homegrown MTA program, but we may be looking at 2040 for induction which is too late, as IAF needs these latest by 2035…

The Antonov An-70 is not a medium lift aircraft. The An-70 has a maximum capacity of 47 tons vs An Il-76MD's 48 tons. The An-70 has a lower range than the Il-76, which is one of the main places where it lags behind.

Oh, and I have mentioned in my comment (either this one or the stand-alone comment on this post) that the An-70 is not entirely feasible due to foreign policy considerations. However, assuming that the lower performance of the An-70 (a propeller-driven aircraft) at high altitudes is not too much of an issue, the An-70 could make for an excellent aircraft, especially if production at scale would bring more customers.

Coming to the Il-76MD-90A, it is a new aircraft in name only. The base design is still very old, not to mention that the concerns about serviceability of the Il-76MD that we operate won't suddenly go away with a modernised Il-76MD-90A. Yes, the 60 ton capacity is a massive plus, but it is still, in effect, new wine in an old bottle. Moreover, I think it is high time we move away from Russia for high-profile arms purchases.
It's not just the foreign policy in regards to Ukraine. The fact is how can anyone think of buying a plane from a country that is begging everyone for almost everything.
Secondly, most weapons platforms and systems at present are old wine in a new bottle. Be it the Sukhois, or the Eagles or the Typhoons. Most weapon platforms and systems are an upgrade of their respective previous versions. The main things that are being upgraded are the avionics, airframe lifespan, engine upgrades, 'Better serviceability and maintenance cycle' etc. The same goes for the new version of the IL-76. I'm not saying that we have to buy IT only. I'm only saying that your reasoning is flawed.

You are correct. Ukraine should never be trusted. They have always supported Pakistan and supplied it with weapons. Besides, how can we hope to buy something from a country, that is effectively destroyed. It begs every day, for everything, from everyone. To even think that we can or should buy planes from Ukraine is outright foolishness.

One excellent contender for replacing the Il-76 is the Antonov An-70, which is still stuck in prototype stage after development stalled due to lack of orders about a decade back. Similar specifications and payload capabilities, though the An-70, being a propeller aircraft, may struggle at high altitudes.

I know our relations with Ukraine are not a point where we can directly consider the An-70, but it is something worth looking into, especially because the Ukrainian Air Force was also considering the type for service just before Covid, and subsequently Russia's abortive invasion, hit home.
You stole my idea with the Antonov 70. That is the most cost effective plane that gives us the capability and technology that meet our requirements. The prototype failed earlier on but it managed to fix it and its passed its tests. We could get this at a very low price as Ukraine need money for their war and we could receive a large amount of the technology.

The most suitable cargo plane that India should get is the Antonov 70 which meets all of our requirements. We will receive it at a lower price than other companies and get more technology transferred to us as Ukraine needs the money to continue their war and their defence and heavy industries are mostly destroyed. We can also use this to replace our current very old Antonov 32 planes that we need to start retiring and phasing them out.

I don't think it will stand a chance against C 390 , A400M is 3 times more expensive than c 390 . And c 390 can carry 26 ton very close to requirement of 27 ton and maybe we don't need a Medium weight Transport aircraft to carry 37 ton of weight . C 390 is faster too and looks like C 17(this reason is alone enough for me) , so procure 100+ C-390 and turn some into refuelers and let Sukhoi do it's job . I wonder can it be converted to gunship like C 295 ?

Same with Scorpene or any other foreign product, 99% Screw Driving only, fortunately SU-30 and Dornier are the only products that source more than 60% locally, it’s a shame for third largest economy, useless “Athmanirbar”.

The most suitable cargo plane that India should get is the Antonov 70 which meets all of our requirements. We will receive it at a lower price than other companies and get more technology transferred to us as Ukraine needs the money to continue their war and their defence and heavy industries are mostly destroyed. We can also use this to replace our current very old Antonov 32 planes that we need to start retiring and phasing them out.
There is no point in dealing with Ukraine. They have always been close to Pakistan and have always supported them and supplied them. They are trying to cozy upto us only because they need help. Also, what's the point of buying something from a country that is always begging for everything from everyone all the time. Their industry is dead and they are deep in debt to the EU and the USA. How does it even sound logical to buy transport planes from Ukraine? SMH!

You stole my idea with the Antonov 70. That is the most cost effective plane that gives us the capability and technology that meet our requirements. The prototype failed earlier on but it managed to fix it and its passed its tests. We could get this at a very low price as Ukraine need money for their war and we could receive a large amount of the technology.
My apologies. I did not know you mentioned the An-70, and I didn't intend to steal your idea. I was only browsing through some contenders for replacing the Il-76, and the An-70 stood up.

It's more sensible for India-Govt to encourage a JV b/w Tata & Airbus-Group to manufacture these Aircraft in India:-
  1. Airbus A330 for MRTT, VIP, AWACS & Civil transportation role.
  2. Airbus A320 for AWACS, ISR, MPA, VIP & Civil Transport roles.
  3. Additional C-295 Aircraft to replace the ageing An-32s.
Similarly, It's better for the Indian-Govt to encourage a JV b/w Embraer & Indian Company (Mahindra/HAL) to manufacture these Aircraft under Make-in-India program:-
  1. E-Jet family
  2. E-2 Jet Family
  3. C-390 Millennium
India's focus should be on gaining the technology & Expertise to manufacture Civil & Military transportation Aircraft.

If we keep buying then eventually in the next 20-years we'll find ourselves against China but with a much bigger technological & expertise difference.

There is no point in dealing with Ukraine. They have always been close to Pakistan and have always supported them and supplied them. They are trying to cozy upto us only because they need help. Also, what's the point of buying something from a country that is always begging for everything from everyone all the time. Their industry is dead and they are deep in debt to the EU and the USA. How does it even sound logical to buy transport planes from Ukraine? SMH!
Yes we can buy it but make the plane in India. You said that their industry is dead which is true. So if they can’t make the plane then the only thing that they can do is make money from it which will still be much cheaper than buying it from France, USA or Brazil. So buying the a plane that can be built, operated and serviced in India is much better than losing millions more to the other countries. Obviously we have to look at its price and technology transfer agreement and everything but if it benefits us then it’s certainly worth looking into.

Also the relationship with Ukraine and Pakistan isn’t strong directly. The military support between them in receiving weapons and ammunition is because Europe and the USA are paying a cheaper price than having to make the ammunition and shells in their own country.

My apologies. I did not know you mentioned the An-70, and I didn't intend to steal your idea. I was only browsing through some contenders for replacing the Il-76, and the An-70 stood up.
I said that jokingly by the way. Its certainly worth considering it because we have been using the An 32 for decades and its been a reliable plane.

Bro you are half information there is difference between maximum take of weight and cargo carrying capacity.
Maximum takeoff weight includes fuel and other support system also an 70 cargo carrying capacity is just 25 ton for 3000km
While il76md 90a has cargo carrying capacity is 60 ton for 4000km + there is no other option available for IAF currently in the market
, there is also one thing you haven't written how we will produce the plane where Ukrain itself haven't buit it + and how tot will done when country is in his ruins + how we will deal with Russia and having an old wine is better to die from thirst and also old wine is more valuable or has more value.

Bro you are half information there is difference between maximum take of weight and cargo carrying capacity.
Maximum takeoff weight includes fuel and other support system also an 70 cargo carrying capacity is just 25 ton for 3000km
While il76md 90a has cargo carrying capacity is 60 ton for 4000km + there is no other option available for IAF currently in the market
, there is also one thing you haven't written how we will produce the plane where Ukrain itself haven't buit it + and how tot will done when country is in his ruins + how we will deal with Russia and having an old wine is better to die from thirst and also old wine is more valuable or has more value.
No, I am not confused here.

The An-70 has an empty weight of 66.23 tons, payload capacity of 47 tons, and has a maximum take-off weight (MTOW) of 145 tons.

The Il-76MD has an empty weight of 92.5 tons (couldn't find this figure for the Il-76MD-90A), payload capacity of 48 or 60 tons (MD90 or MD-90A), and a MTOW of 190 or 205 tons (MD90 or MD-90A).

There you go. The Il-76MD-90A undoubtedly has more payload capacity than the An-70, but that doesn't mean the An-70 doesn't almost match the Il-76MD that we presently operate.

That said, I already wrote that the An-70 is not a sure shot bet, and a lot of work would have to be done there. If it did, however, get through, we could, atleast in theory, build them locally for the Ukrainians as well. Oh, and while Russia is a very trustworthy ally without doubt, I am very much in favour of moving away from the over-reliance we have had on them for the last 60 or so years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guddu kumar
Back