CCS Approves ₹15,000 Crore for AMCA, Two Variants to Feature Supersonic Cruising and AI-Powered Flight

CCS Approves ₹15,000 Crore for AMCA, Two Variants to Feature Supersonic Cruising and AI-Powered Flight

India's ambitions in the aerospace sector received a major boost with the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approving a ₹15,000 crore budget for the nation's 5th generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) program.

Led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the CCS decision signals India's continued determination to strengthen its indigenous defense capabilities and reduce reliance on foreign imports.

The AMCA represents a transformative leap in India's aerospace development, joining the Tejas Mk1A and MkII programs as part of the country's expanding portfolio of domestically produced fighter jets. This landmark project spotlights India's drive to become a major player in advanced combat aircraft design.

Two-Phase Development​

The AMCA development will proceed in two phases. Phase-I centers on the AMCA MKI variant, powered by GE F-414 engines with a 98kN thrust. In a significant boost for India's manufacturing sector, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will produce these engines locally. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has already pledged to procure 40 AMCA MKI units, a vote of confidence in India's defense industry.

Phase-II will unveil the AMCA MK2, featuring radical performance enhancements. A powerful new engine in the 110-120kN class will allow the MK2 to achieve supersonic cruising speeds without the need for afterburners.

Moreover, cutting-edge avionics and pilot functions will incorporate artificial intelligence (AI) for advanced tasks like hands-free takeoff and landing, optimizing pilot efficiency and aircraft performance in combat situations.

Defense Modernization and Self-Reliance​

"The AMCA program is a cornerstone of India's defense modernization and embodies our commitment to 'Atmanirbhar Bharat'," stated a defence analyst based in New Delhi. "By developing advanced technologies in-house, we not only strengthen our armed forces but also fuel our economic growth."

The AMCA promises to deliver advanced stealth characteristics, supercruise capabilities, and potent sensor suites, positioning it as a formidable adversary in the skies. India's resolute push towards self-reliance in critical defense technologies promises to shape the country's strategic profile for decades to come.

Get real buddy. LCA MK2 prototype roll out itself has been postponed for 2025-27, after that the prototypes would start a long process of flight-testing trials, where its airframe would be put to test and the FBW software and control systems would be incrementally optimized and sub systems would also be added and tested on board.
Many techs of AMCA like canards or the avionics will be tested on Tejas Mk2, so AMCA is expected to have a short testing phase, especially Mk1 AMCA.

Many techs of AMCA like canards or the avionics will be tested on Tejas Mk2, so AMCA is expected to have a short testing phase, especially Mk1 AMCA.
Does not work that way. While one is a single-engine fuselage with a single rudder, the other is a twin-engine fuselage with twin slanted rudders. The area of control surfaces would also change in ratio to the dimensions and weight of platforms. With that, the aerodynamics and kinematics performance of both fighters would completely be different and cannot be substituted for each other.

As such both fighter programs are mutually exclusive and would require dedicated independent test regimes.

It's good to see that mod didn't put strings to this project that(spv) already is not working in these conditions so waiting didn't help to, hearing this news was a fantastic thing hope this phase-1 will be at a very good pace!!

I doubt this- no official news by any official site or by ADA or GOI.
Ajit Dubey ANI defence journalist who has been delivering every news before any news portal since last 6 months has posted it..

In last couple of months ANI is getting special treatment by the GOI be it in defence or other field , they are getting interviews & news before other portals, that's why opposition accusing ANI of doing biasness towards one party..

It's good to see that mod didn't put strings to this project that(spv) already is not working in these conditions so waiting didn't help to, hearing this news was a fantastic thing hope this phase-1 will be at a very good pace!!
Exactly. Good decision by not waiting for spv since no private sector was coming forward.

So beating expectations, approval has come in well under a year. Let’s see when ADA comes back with their bowl to ask for additional funds and time.
CDR was submitted half a year ago or what ? 🤔
They didn't announce it i think

CDR was submitted half a year ago or what ? 🤔
They didn't announce it i think
They said in April last year that they have submitted the documents to CCS. So it has been cleared in under a year.

While I can't blame IAF for questioning HAL's conduct and commitment. That being said, IAF can not cover itself in glory either.

Not one person who has been following the MMRCA project has an iota of doubt that IAF has had in the past, instead of putting its weight beind Tejas, shown more inclination towards MMRCA aka Phoren Maal. It was well known, that IAF was delaying Tejas's orders over its fear that large orders of Tejas might impact MMRCA order.
Not true at all. IAF had already agreed to 200 Tejas in the mid 90s. But Tejas got delayed. MMRCA was anyways cleared when they committed to 40 Tejas mk1 and 200 mk2, even before mk1 had IOC. So at no point was Tejas and MMRCA were even competitors. MMRCA had been approved in 2002 or so itself. HAL couldn’t close the negotiations is a different deal altogether. And anyways, at no point can one say that HAL could have produced one extra Tejas that IAF didn’t agree to buy.

Get real buddy. LCA MK2 prototype roll out itself has been postponed for 2025-27, after that the prototypes would start a long process of flight-testing trials, where its airframe would be put to test and the FBW software and control systems would be incrementally optimized and sub systems would also be added and tested on board.
Our lead times are fcking absolutely pathetic. Despite having some really intelligent people we still fall short. This is the real indictment of our dysfunctional organisational/governmental setup. The Turks and Koreans(Both had Armed forces that were closely involved in the Defense Manufacturing space; I encourage everybody to look it up) are well on their way to out pace us while we with our clownish and useless civilian bureaucracy led military(which itself is run by a bunch of lazy morons) has shown to be absolutely feckless and obstructive if not in some regards treasonous in their incompetence. As long as India remains a federal democracy with a defacto weak executive branch I don't have much hope us developing internationally competitive manufacturing industry or military industrial excellence.

If it means the early batches of the platform would have relatively fewer indigenous components or would have to use imported sub-systems and weapon systems, then so be it. Once the platform is put into service a detailed comprehensive batch upgrade roadmap can be drafted and then successive batches can incorporate greater degree of indigenous components as time passes.
The earlier batches having less indigenous content is an absolutely practical move that prioritises moving things forward and putting these systems in the field and in the hands of our armed forces. Indigenization should be incremental and should be backed up by our domestic research & development institutions and private/public production partners. I have yet to see this happen in a satisfactory manner. I've stopped hoping for it.

Haha great
Took 11 months ◉⁠‿⁠◉
For any government, clearing this much amount, especially with DRDO’s track record, I would say 11 months is amazing. I think almost everyone here was expecting it to be cleared only after elections.

The AMCA was approved just recently in 2024, it would now at least take a year or two to fabricate the prototype itself. Now since its a new aircraft with a comparatively higher percentage of radical technologies, its bound to have a longer flight test regime. I would assume the AMCA would take at least 7-10 years to complete flight testing regime. Flight testing of AMCA is unlikely to be completed by 2035-37 even most optimistically. The production would take another 3-4 years, so the first units of AMCA would only enter service sometime in 2042.
It's good to hear someone finally talking sense on this issue... Don't know how people believe such unrealistic timelines as some gospel of truth looking at past track record of Drdo Hal Ada & Dpsu's

Name one , any 1 project that drdo/ hal/Ada has delivered on time. If any, then I will apologize

Finally this is brilliant news. I kept on telling everyone here for months that the delay in giving the AMCA funding isn't the government fault and they weren't just sitting on the file doing nothing. India first had to clear the F414 engine deal with the USA as without an engine you can't make the jet.

Now I really hope that they can quickly start manufacturing and buying all of the parts, components, sensors, equipment and technology as soon as possible. I believe that we can achieve its first flight in 2026 and then hit production around 2032 but it's crucial that we have no more delays now.

Exactly. Good decision by not waiting for spv since no private sector was coming forward.
The private sector are the main companies that manufacture the parts, components and technology. HAL mostly make the crucial technology like engines but other than that they assemble the jet and certify

The Turks and Koreans(Both had Armed forces that were closely involved in the Defense Manufacturing space; I encourage everybody to look it up) are well on their way to out pace us while we with our clownish and useless civilian bureaucracy led military(which itself is run by a bunch of lazy morons) has shown to be absolutely feckless and obstructive if not in some regards treasonous in their incompetence.
Dude R u really comparing our DRDO to Turkish defense industry? Today Turkey is capable of meeting 75% of its defense requirements internally where as our DRDO struggle to meet even 25-30% of our requirements on time.

It's good to hear someone finally talking sense on this issue... Don't know how people believe such unrealistic timelines as some gospel of truth looking at past track record of Drdo Hal Ada & Dpsu's
It does not even take a genius to understand the time lines originally estimated by HAL and DRDO combined are pure fantasy and are only meant to grab investments to ensure their own job security and prevent IAF, IA and the IN from swiftly acquiring technologies and platforms from overseas.

Bcoz, it kinda puts the ball completely in their court and exposes their ineptitude on program management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Girish Bhilware
Back