Current Position of Canards in Tejas Mk2 Could Lead to "Developmental Problems", Caution Expert

tejas-af-mk-2-mwf-concept_1_orig.jpg

Professor Prodyut Das, a former Mechanical Engineering professor at IIT Kanpur and a renowned expert in aerospace structures, has raised serious concerns about the design of the Tejas Mk2 fighter jet in his recent blog post. His primary concern revolves around the placement of the canards on the aircraft, a configuration he deems "extremely disturbing" and likely to cause "developmental problems."

Prof. Das points out the uniqueness of the Tejas Mk2's canard placement, highlighting the lack of any existing production canard fighter jet with a similar arrangement. He criticizes the decision-making behind the design, emphasizing the need for critical thinking and risk assessment even in the face of budget limitations. He questions the oversight of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which despite ample funding, apparently failed to recognize this potential issue during the design stage.

To rectify the situation, Prof. Das proposes a transparent approach. He suggests acknowledging the potential problem, expressing gratitude to those who raised concerns, and utilizing the abundant expertise available in India to redesign the forward fuselage. Such a redesign, he believes, would not only resolve the canard placement issue but also present an opportunity to enhance the aircraft's stealth capabilities by reducing its radar cross-section (RCS).

Expressing his concern about the dwindling air strength of the Indian Air Force, Prof. Das warns against prioritizing personal pride over honest evaluations, as it could compromise national security. He advocates for a more open and responsible approach to ensure the safety and effectiveness of India's military aircraft.

Prof. Das concludes by urging a redesign of the Tejas Mk2's forward fuselage to address the canard placement concerns. He reiterates the availability of skilled professionals within India and calls for a transparent and accountable approach to safeguarding national security.

It is important to remember that Prof. Das's views represent his personal opinions and haven't been officially acknowledged by ADA. Further developments on the Tejas Mk2 design are eagerly awaited.

Prof Das is well known left liberal and therefore his views are not authentic or genuine concern.

His views seems more egoistic and his major concern seems acknowledgement of his views...more than the problem

Hi, Esteemed Professor Das,he is well known for his expertise in Aeronautical Structural Engineering and equally known for his no nonsense attitude of calling a spade a spade,a characteristic of highly talented and honest person,mark my words he will be embroiled in some controversies or false cases or both soon.

People at ADA are quite competent, have plenty of computational and experimental tests to back this design, it's not the fad of one individual like Prof Das which decides these critical design issues.

I am smelling the flavor of sabotage by foreign powers, need due analysis. He is coming too late on this.
Thinking of sabotage, since he also made statement on dwindling squadrons and keeping the egos aside...why did he mention anything on individua egos.

Article should mention what potential problems present canards can cause.

I agree with transparency one. We don't have any channel to ask ADA if they even took this allegation into account, right or wrong is not even question.

Sabotage as people indicate may be possible. The ego line made me look inwards. 😐😐

Duh! I had said this exact same thing before as well. The wing design seems faulty as the canrads placement wound force turbulent air into the air intakes that still remain obscured under the canard wing.

Duh! I had said this exact same thing before as well. The wing design seems faulty as the canrads placement wound force turbulent air into the air intakes that still remain obscured under the canard wing.
You mean the thing that air intake should be ahead of canard and wings for undisturbed airflow ?

If yes then what's the solution. Increase intake duct length till it's ahead of canards like in Gripen ?

Same guy criticized Tejas wing area very much and proposed a much smaller delta wings for LCA.... Anyways 100% MK2 will crashes on 1st test flight itself....

Prof: on the mission to sabotage Tejas MKII?????
Is it the professor or HAL+ADA who want to sabotage Mk2? Why has it not been rolled out even almost a decade after it was supposed to be put into serial production?

So, the biggest concern as of now is the placement of canards.

Apart from that, it looks like the issue with engines are sorted already.

Canards apart, we can ezpect HAL to deliver Tejas Mk2 @ 24 per year, once the certifications come in.

So, the biggest concern as of now is the placement of canards.

Apart from that, it looks like the issue with engines are sorted already.

Canards apart, we can ezpect HAL to deliver Tejas Mk2 @ 24 per year, once the certifications come in.
They can’t make even 6 trainer jets annually even after all engines and certifications were given and production lines were established and payment done. So no. Don’t expect anything from HAL.

You mean the thing that air intake should be ahead of canard and wings for undisturbed airflow ?

If yes then what's the solution. Increase intake duct length till it's ahead of canards like in Gripen ?
Yes it does not take an genius to understand the issue, nor does it take an engineer. Basic knowledge of physics and turbulance is sufficient to zero in on issue. The air intakes should always be free from obstructions and all control surfaces that can induce turbulance are usually behind the air intake. Also its best to have fairly large air intakes if possible, as they ensure unrestricted air flow. Look at the way Rafale uses all moving canrads and where they are placed also look at Gripen as well. Same thing with the predecessor of Rafale Mirage 4000.

I know this Das on twitter.. He is egotestical himself and very bitter person..

So I don't trust his analysis.

But Hal ada is also known for utter incompetence... And lying 24*7
Hal ada employees are just useless..

So I am just confused... Who to belive..

Mk2 is already 5/6 years late...

I just pray pray pray somehow miracle happens and Ada pulls it off this time..

Pls pls pls pls bhagawan 🙏🙏🙏🙏

I know this Das on twitter.. He is egotestical himself and very bitter person..

So I don't trust his analysis.

But Hal ada is also known for utter incompetence... And lying 24*7
Hal ada employees are just useless..

So I am just confused... Who to belive..

Mk2 is already 5/6 years late...

I just pray pray pray somehow miracle happens and Ada pulls it off this time..

Pls pls pls pls bhagawan 🙏🙏🙏🙏
IIT kanpur is best institute for aeronautical engineering and research, They are also involved in development of ghatak UAV ( swift demonstrator) and other technology. While ADA has put all its egg in one basket and proposing timelines based on assumption that every thing will go right from first aircraft demonstrator, They have even planned to make LSP jet from 1st aircraft itself which shown overconfidence and looking at the past record seems doubtful.

IIT kanpur is best institute for aeronautical engineering and research, They are also involved in development of ghatak UAV ( swift demonstrator) and other technology. While ADA has put all its egg in one basket and proposing timelines based on assumption that every thing will go right from first aircraft demonstrator, They have even planned to make LSP jet from 1st aircraft itself which shown overconfidence and looking at the past record seems doubtful.
I also doubt lying ada hal

But This Das is also shady toxic person

I am IITians myself

IITs are famous for its BTech students. M tech, PhD and professors of IIT are useless. I know bcz I studied there.

That's why 70 years IITs gave the country almost nothing..

But the main point is ada Hal employees are incompetent also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajju
Back