Current Position of Canards in Tejas Mk2 Could Lead to "Developmental Problems", Caution Expert

tejas-af-mk-2-mwf-concept_1_orig.jpg

Professor Prodyut Das, a former Mechanical Engineering professor at IIT Kanpur and a renowned expert in aerospace structures, has raised serious concerns about the design of the Tejas Mk2 fighter jet in his recent blog post. His primary concern revolves around the placement of the canards on the aircraft, a configuration he deems "extremely disturbing" and likely to cause "developmental problems."

Prof. Das points out the uniqueness of the Tejas Mk2's canard placement, highlighting the lack of any existing production canard fighter jet with a similar arrangement. He criticizes the decision-making behind the design, emphasizing the need for critical thinking and risk assessment even in the face of budget limitations. He questions the oversight of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which despite ample funding, apparently failed to recognize this potential issue during the design stage.

To rectify the situation, Prof. Das proposes a transparent approach. He suggests acknowledging the potential problem, expressing gratitude to those who raised concerns, and utilizing the abundant expertise available in India to redesign the forward fuselage. Such a redesign, he believes, would not only resolve the canard placement issue but also present an opportunity to enhance the aircraft's stealth capabilities by reducing its radar cross-section (RCS).

Expressing his concern about the dwindling air strength of the Indian Air Force, Prof. Das warns against prioritizing personal pride over honest evaluations, as it could compromise national security. He advocates for a more open and responsible approach to ensure the safety and effectiveness of India's military aircraft.

Prof. Das concludes by urging a redesign of the Tejas Mk2's forward fuselage to address the canard placement concerns. He reiterates the availability of skilled professionals within India and calls for a transparent and accountable approach to safeguarding national security.

It is important to remember that Prof. Das's views represent his personal opinions and haven't been officially acknowledged by ADA. Further developments on the Tejas Mk2 design are eagerly awaited.

If this would be the Tejas mk2 design better to get Gripen E/F instead 😹😹😹

ADA has probably wind tunneled tested and did all calculations on various flows. So, they are best to give answer to this professor.

Canard is not big issue here. Main issue is the lack of transparency and honesty in assesment thats the biggest issue plaguing HAL and ADA.😑

😁 Budha's englightment after such a long long time
He is right, It is too far back which affects the lift, canards adds to the weight of engine in the back which will pull the Aircraft more to the back, the weight distribution is not proportionate, look at all the current Delta wing modern day jets with Canards, we will have a good understanding, Gripen similar in design philosophy as Tejas Mk2, Rafale, EF-Typhoon all Delta wing, the canards will be in the front right behind the the front wheel away from the wings.

I also doubt lying ada hal

But This Das is also shady toxic person

I am IITians myself

IITs are famous for its BTech students. M tech, PhD and professors of IIT are useless. I know bcz I studied there.

That's why 70 years IITs gave the country almost nothing..

But the main point is ada Hal employees are incompetent also.
most of the hAL and ADA scientist have lesser or similar intellect than PhD passout of IITs or their professor.. You may be right but i doubt he will publish his thought without any technical backing as it will tarnish his image and may also result in his suspension or termination.

ADA has probably wind tunneled tested and did all calculations on various flows. So, they are best to give answer to this professor.
These allegations were flagged in 2021. Prof Das merely endorsed them. That's the reason MK2 intakes are being tested in onera.

😁 Budha's englightment after such a long long time
Learn from making Gripen-E. our guys are good and will help you with the design, just make 114 Gripen-E with your local GE F414 engine, Tejas MK2 would become best in class after that.

Learn from making Gripen-E. our guys are good and will help you with the design, just make 114 Gripen-E with your local GE F414 engine, Tejas MK2 would become best in class after that.
Why not learn from EF-Typhoon.

Yes it does not take an genius to understand the issue, nor does it take an engineer. Basic knowledge of physics and turbulance is sufficient to zero in on issue. The air intakes should always be free from obstructions and all control surfaces that can induce turbulance are usually behind the air intake. Also its best to have fairly large air intakes if possible, as they ensure unrestricted air flow. Look at the way Rafale uses all moving canrads and where they are placed also look at Gripen as well. Same thing with the predecessor of Rafale Mirage 4000.
Ok but what is solution for Tejas. Explain clearly. Is it same as what I said i.e, elongate ducts or something else ?

He is old , his knowledge is outdated and speaks and writes rubbish based on old models like Marut and Gnat .ADA , HAL would have done millions of computer simulations checked and crosschecked by DRDO and approved by IAF . His writing appears to be a red herring thrown at behest of foreign powers to delay the project .The scale models would have been tested in wind tunnels on ground simulating the mach speeds the aircraft will fly . The first production models flown by HAL test pilots will confirm the actual readings obtained verses the calculated ones , plotted on graphs and modifications done if required .

most of the hAL and ADA scientist have lesser or similar intellect than PhD passout of IITs or their professor.. You may be right but i doubt he will publish his thought without any technical backing as it will tarnish his image and may also result in his suspension or termination.
Narcissist does not care about image or others.

He can just share his opinions with ada directly without this drama

Ok but what is solution for Tejas. Explain clearly. Is it same as what I said i.e, elongate ducts or something else ?
This should have been rectified previously itself when the design of MK2 was being frozen. Dont know why did they retain the strange intakes and such canard position. Now it rectifying it, would require redesign of entire airframe and the air intakes geometry. As you put it elongating intakes is one of the measure. Another would be to reposition the canards outside the air intakes, behind the canopy and elongating the airframe a bit. However its not just that, it would require recalibrating mass and center of gravity and then re optimizing the entire air frame aerodynamically. Would be a major project as it would have to almost redesign the platform from scratch all over again , but since the Tejas MKII has yet to reach prototype stage it can be done, provided serious commitment to funding is ensured. However, greatest challange now is time.

The greatest challenge the project will face would be, to retain viability by the time it enters service. The issue now is the project has so far been managed so poorly that it will not enter production any time before 2035-37, which means the first tranche of production variant MK2 will enter service probably between 2039-40. That essentially risks rendering the entire MK2 project obsolete before even it enters service as the battlefield is changing too fast for a single engine fighter with standard narrowband AESA to make a mark. BY that time ultrabroadband or ultrawideband AESA radars would have already become mainstream and thus seriously jeopardizing the relevance of project.

One of the many hitjobs to come. As soon as something is being developed within the country, many people like him will come up. It only means we are on the right track. Those who have done lots of simulations will know better than us, keyboard warriors.

Narcissist does not care about image or others.

He can just share his opinions with ada directly without this drama
May be he wants to get credit .. but in any case this should be validated before assembly of first jet starts.

This should have been rectified previously itself when the design of MK2 was being frozen. Dont know why did they retain the strange intakes and such canard position. Now it rectifying it, would require redesign of entire airframe and the air intakes geometry. As you put it elongating intakes is one of the measure. Another would be to reposition the canards outside the air intakes, behind the canopy and elongating the airframe a bit. However its not just that, it would require recalibrating mass and center of gravity and then re optimizing the entire air frame aerodynamically. Would be a major project as it would have to almost redesign the platform from scratch all over again , but since the Tejas MKII has yet to reach prototype stage it can be done, provided serious commitment to funding is ensured. However, greatest challange now is time.

The greatest challenge the project will face would be, to retain viability by the time it enters service. The issue now is the project has so far been managed so poorly that it will not enter production any time before 2035-37, which means the first tranche of production variant MK2 will enter service probably between 2039-40. That essentially risks rendering the entire MK2 project obsolete before even it enters service as the battlefield is changing too fast for a single engine fighter with standard narrowband AESA to make a mark. BY that time ultrabroadband or ultrawideband AESA radars would have already become mainstream and thus seriously jeopardizing the relevance of project.
Thanks.

I'm more optimistic and feel Mk2 would enter production by 2032-33. Production rate is something else until done by private company.

Also I think Mk2 would not be obsolete due to electronics as India will be developing those and upgrade jets like AESA in present.

Rest future will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unmesh
Back