GTRE Develops Indigenous Anti-Icing Technology for Aero Engines

447199573-947509043846814-8975075227277571297-n.jpg

In a significant step forward for aviation safety, the Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) has developed India's first indigenous anti-icing technology for aero engines.

This groundbreaking achievement addresses a critical safety concern, as ice formation on aircraft and engine surfaces can lead to catastrophic accidents.

Icing occurs when aircraft fly through clouds containing supercooled water droplets, which freeze upon contact with surfaces. The accumulation of ice disrupts airflow, compromising aerodynamic performance, flight stability, and engine functionality.

Historically, aircraft icing has been responsible for numerous fatal accidents worldwide.

To mitigate these dangers, aircraft and engines rely on ice protection systems. Anti-icing systems, in particular, prevent ice formation by heating surfaces using either electricity or hot air from the engine compressor. Until now, India lacked the capability to develop such technology domestically.

The GTRE's project focused on designing a hot air anti-icing system for modern gas turbine engines, suitable for both manned and unmanned aircraft. The system targets critical components like the engine inlet casing's struts and bullet noses, which are most susceptible to ice buildup.

Leveraging a combination of conventional and additive manufacturing techniques, the GTRE produced two test pieces of the engine inlet casing within a remarkably short timeframe. These test pieces incorporated four different anti-icing designs to optimize the validation process through icing wind tunnel tests.

The design methodology was rigorously validated using test data from icing wind tunnel tests conducted at the CIRA facility in Italy. The GTRE's test hardware successfully demonstrated anti-icing capabilities under simulated icing conditions, meeting all necessary certification requirements.

This breakthrough equips GTRE with the expertise to design anti-icing systems for any advanced gas turbine aero engine. Their capabilities now extend to conducting numerical studies to calculate crucial icing characteristics, like water catch efficiency, vital for aero-engine and aircraft development programs.

The implications of this indigenous technology are far-reaching. It promises to enhance the safety and operational capabilities of both military and civil aviation in India. Moreover, this achievement underscores India's growing self-reliance in critical aerospace technologies.

Good News , But waiting for Fine Tuning of Thrust to 90 kN.for kaveri derivrative.

India need to pursue the Kaveri engine to be used for the LCA because that only help the nation security and national interest

Good News , But waiting for Fine Tuning of Thrust to 90 kN.for kaveri derivrative.
Not only 90 kn thrust, but weight reduction too. Old data of kaveri shows its too heavy than other engines of same class.

This is a key part in developing jet engines and it’s a sign that progress is being made. The Kaveri engine has passed high altitude tests recently which paves the way to use this for our stealth UCAV Ghatak drone that’s currently under development. We need to keep researching and improving our knowledge and skills if we want to be self reliant in jet or marine engines.

Also we are using and developing the Kaveri Marine engine which is showing good progress and in future it will allow us to use it for our small to medium naval or civil ships.

India need to pursue the Kaveri engine to be used for the LCA because that only help the nation security and national interest
For that the engine program first needs to be taken away from GTRE.

Those who deny any progress in Kaveri. Dekh lo aise hota hai iterative development.

When you deny existence of any technology which India developed after spending of Kaveri, this comes to shut your mouth.

You call funds total waste, yet there is this news to show, technology is developed in various parts. Like that ₹2100 crore me engine ban gaya itne tech ke sath, lalchi France ne to bas assistance me $1billion mang liye the.

This is a key part in developing jet engines and it’s a sign that progress is being made. The Kaveri engine has passed high altitude tests recently which paves the way to use this for our stealth UCAV Ghatak drone that’s currently under development. We need to keep researching and improving our knowledge and skills if we want to be self reliant in jet or marine engines.

Also we are using and developing the Kaveri Marine engine which is showing good progress and in future it will allow us to use it for our small to medium naval or civil ships.
Again same lies.

Can you see future? NO

So don't lie.
When it comes to DPSUs one can easily see the future. I had said in 2021 that mk1a will be delayed. I stand vindicated. I had said in early 2022 that mk2 will be delayed. Right again. I had said that Tapas won’t be inducted any time soon in 2022 itself. Bingo. So if you wanna make a guess, always bet against the DPSUs and you will be the winner.

Indian-Govt should classify Aircraft & Marine technology as an equally important technology to Nuclear-Weapons & ICBMs, hence under the direct supervision of PMO.

This is the only way we can expect the Nation to successfully develop Aircraft & Marine engines for both Civil & Military purposes.

If required, Indian-Govt can merge HAL's Engine Division & BHEL's Turbine divisions into a single entity (PSU), focused on design, development, production & MRO of Aircraft & Arine Engines for both Civil & Military purposes with mostly acting as an integrator of technology & systems developed by Indian Pvt Sector under T-o-T from GTRE.

This is great news. Integrate in Tejas asap and sell it to countries like Iran. Landing Iran deal would be huge for us.

All test facilities and equipments required for developing engines should be made ready in india we can't rely on others . If funding and dedication is there from the govt to those organisation then we can become self reliant in almost all sectors. Some people will say differently because they want india to import and be dependent on other nations purely for monetary reasons.

When it comes to DPSUs one can easily see the future. I had said in 2021 that mk1a will be delayed. I stand vindicated. I had said in early 2022 that mk2 will be delayed. Right again. I had said that Tapas won’t be inducted any time soon in 2022 itself. Bingo. So if you wanna make a guess, always bet against the DPSUs and you will be the winner.
No human can see future. Stop lying.

If you can, just type exactly what will be my next reply to you, Simple.

Bingo

No human can see future. Stop lying.

If you can, just type exactly what will be my next reply to you, Simple.

Bingo
No human can see the future.
But from previous events you can make some assumptions / predictions about the future.

Not only 90 kn thrust, but weight reduction too. Old data of kaveri shows its too heavy than other engines of same class.
almost 300kg heavy, which will impossible for them to shave off

Still waiting for a real production ready prototype.... We are already feed up of too much hype and false promises 🙃

Can you see future? NO

So don't lie.
He's a PR person of Dassault France.... Whenever there's a local news tech in India he can always see the future bright for his master's from France 😹😹😹
Like the other french lovers in comment that are obsess in Franconification of India's military industrial complex

Those who deny any progress in Kaveri. Dekh lo aise hota hai iterative development.

When you deny existence of any technology which India developed after spending of Kaveri, this comes to shut your mouth.

You call funds total waste, yet there is this news to show, technology is developed in various parts. Like that ₹2100 crore me engine ban gaya itne tech ke sath, lalchi France ne to bas assistance me $1billion mang liye the.
I'm one with Kaveri only use for suicide drones use only but for fighter aircraft it's better to go with western suppliers like Pratt and Whitney, GE, RR or if we cant access it we go stick to Russian design license from Rosoboron export of NPU Saturn or Klimov...

Remember Kaveri is still not mature enough so we still need to stick to most already working engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Satyabrata Sahoo
Back