GTRE Develops Indigenous Anti-Icing Technology for Aero Engines

447199573-947509043846814-8975075227277571297-n.jpg

In a significant step forward for aviation safety, the Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) has developed India's first indigenous anti-icing technology for aero engines.

This groundbreaking achievement addresses a critical safety concern, as ice formation on aircraft and engine surfaces can lead to catastrophic accidents.

Icing occurs when aircraft fly through clouds containing supercooled water droplets, which freeze upon contact with surfaces. The accumulation of ice disrupts airflow, compromising aerodynamic performance, flight stability, and engine functionality.

Historically, aircraft icing has been responsible for numerous fatal accidents worldwide.

To mitigate these dangers, aircraft and engines rely on ice protection systems. Anti-icing systems, in particular, prevent ice formation by heating surfaces using either electricity or hot air from the engine compressor. Until now, India lacked the capability to develop such technology domestically.

The GTRE's project focused on designing a hot air anti-icing system for modern gas turbine engines, suitable for both manned and unmanned aircraft. The system targets critical components like the engine inlet casing's struts and bullet noses, which are most susceptible to ice buildup.

Leveraging a combination of conventional and additive manufacturing techniques, the GTRE produced two test pieces of the engine inlet casing within a remarkably short timeframe. These test pieces incorporated four different anti-icing designs to optimize the validation process through icing wind tunnel tests.

The design methodology was rigorously validated using test data from icing wind tunnel tests conducted at the CIRA facility in Italy. The GTRE's test hardware successfully demonstrated anti-icing capabilities under simulated icing conditions, meeting all necessary certification requirements.

This breakthrough equips GTRE with the expertise to design anti-icing systems for any advanced gas turbine aero engine. Their capabilities now extend to conducting numerical studies to calculate crucial icing characteristics, like water catch efficiency, vital for aero-engine and aircraft development programs.

The implications of this indigenous technology are far-reaching. It promises to enhance the safety and operational capabilities of both military and civil aviation in India. Moreover, this achievement underscores India's growing self-reliance in critical aerospace technologies.

No human can see the future.
But from previous events you can make some assumptions / predictions about the future.
If you are smart enough you can see the future. For that you need knowledge & a high IQ. 🤣Past is a barometer.

He's a PR person of Dassault France.... Whenever there's a local news tech in India he can always see the future bright for his master's from France 😹😹😹
Like the other french lovers in comment that are obsess in Franconification of India's military industrial complex
That doesnt make him wrong. DRDO, HAL, OFBs have always disappointed Bharatiyas.

That doesnt make him wrong. DRDO, HAL, OFBs have always disappointed Bharatiyas.
We already now it... That HAL, DRDO and others incompetency but I and others can't take his biasness and lying disinformation just to promote France and don't give credits to were it's due....
So if he's making fake information we should slap it to him for correction not tolerating it🙃

We already now it... That HAL, DRDO and others incompetency but I and others can't take his biasness and lying disinformation just to promote France and don't give credits to were it's due....
So if he's making fake information we should slap it to him for correction not tolerating it🙃
Let us be more honest. Kaveri engine isn't ready, tejas mk2 is still 6 years away (including the time HAL blaming others for the delay). AMCA is a decade away. Tejasmk1a canmot take fight to the enemy. So one has to consider the MRCA. In the competition to clinch the deal except for F35 other US fighters are too old. Eurofighter requires a host of approvals with the added disadvantage of stoppage of spare parts during war time by these nations & US, russian planes come with cheap price & high maintenance, inlcuding worry on supply of spare parts & russian war with other nations. Eventhough price per unit is high Rafale scores with IAF. F5 is more advanced than the present iteration. So I do find it more suitable for Bharat to go for it, till tejas mk2 is delivered.

Again same lies.
Listen it has been universally accepted that the Kaveri engine has passed the high altitude and cold tests successfully in Russia which is why they are building 6-8 engines which will be used to take further tests and to power the Ghatak drone. They will also use one on a Tejas jet so we can check its performance, vitals and capabilities. They would only do that if they are absolutely safe about the engines safety and performance.

Not just that but they are also developing the Kaveri marine engine which will let us use it to power small to medium naval ships or even civil vessels. Accept the truth!

Listen it has been universally accepted that the Kaveri engine has passed the high altitude and cold tests successfully in Russia which is why they are building 6-8 engines which will be used to take further tests and to power the Ghatak drone. They will also use one on a Tejas jet so we can check its performance, vitals and capabilities. They would only do that if they are absolutely safe about the engines safety and performance.

Not just that but they are also developing the Kaveri marine engine which will let us use it to power small to medium naval ships or even civil vessels. Accept the truth!
I have already accepted the truth bro. The truth is that DRDO lies through its teeth. You had said that Russians have certified it. So please show where have the Russians said that the engine is certified. Show na. Official Russian statement.

No human can see the future.
But from previous events you can make some assumptions / predictions about the future.
I'm on same page that humans can't see future.

That's why I'm saying to this Akshat to not say what the future will be.

His is not prediction but an imposing thought turned claim.

If you are smart enough you can see the future. For that you need knowledge & a high IQ. 🤣Past is a barometer.
Where did I claim to know future. I'm calling this Akshat to not do it.

He is doing it not me. He is making a claim, did not use word prediction till very end comments.

You think I claimed to know future? Lol no.

almost 300kg heavy, which will impossible for them to shave off
Then let's make a bigger jet as SU-30 or may be little smaller all in composites and fit twin engines, decisions should not be taken based on engines alone , we should be flexible to adapt to whatever resources we have.

I'm on same page that humans can't see future.

That's why I'm saying to this Akshat to not say what the future will be.

His is not prediction but an imposing thought turned claim.
I have said clearly that I am predicting future. I have never said I can see it. You just don't like the truth so you are constantly taking my words and using them in a distorted way deliberately but you still haven't been able to prove me wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAJAN SAROHA
Back