IAF MRFA Tender NOT Cancelled: April Fools' Prank Exposed

IAF MRFA Tender NOT Cancelled: April Fools' Prank Exposed

Be wary of recent reports claiming the Indian Air Force (IAF) cancelled the MRFA (Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft) tender for 114 jets in favor of the locally-developed TEDBF (Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter). This news was revealed to be an April Fool's Day prank.

The false information originated from a YouTube channel that made unsubstantiated claims on X (formerly Twitter) about the IAF scrapping the MRFA program – a multi-billion dollar deal to procure 114 fighter jets. The channel misleadingly suggested the IAF would focus solely on the TEDBF, a naval fighter currently in development.

It's vital to emphasize that the MRFA tender is still very much active. The IAF is in the process of evaluating proposals from various global aerospace companies for the 114 fighter jets. Designed specifically for the Indian Navy, the TEDBF is not a competing aircraft in the MRFA program.

With so much information readily available online, it's essential to maintain a critical eye toward what you read or see, particularly around April 1st.

But when the winner will b going to decleared is more important .and starting manufacturing the jets with Eco-system being developed.same for Foreign partner forAMCA Engine.

The reason why both ORCA and MRFA are dead are the following:
  • immaturity and lack of foresightedness by the forces
  • Tejas mk2
  • MoD's policies
  • If forces would have been mature enough to realise that they can start a joint development program of ORCA/ TEDBF while completey scrapping LCA mk2 development.....but *sigh*
That could have been a cheaper efficient method.

MRFA is significantly dead. Keep this in mind MRFA was started as an urgent requirement.
Reasons:
  • IAF top choice: Dassault Rafales - heavy backlog - production lines engaged for a decade...... even if Rafales win , IAF won't get any Rafales till 5 years.
  • other choices:> F15EX , Typhoon: US diplomatic pressure will lead a limit to their operations . For example : US will force us to limit their use for defensive purposes only just like in Ukraine.
Therefore GOI won't let IAF go with these ( a sensible descision)

Now with time, it's already proven that single engine fighters are effectively more practical, efficient and easy for an Airforce.

Given, We have LCA mk2 ( a single engine omni role combat aircraft) in development - all the future needs of IAF will be completed by AMCA and LCA mk2 only...... significantly reducing scope for ORCA.

ORCA might be inducted as a replacement of Su 30upg, but I highly doubt it......LCA mk2 fits well in that role too.....if anything AMCA mk1 in beast mode is an op choice for Su 30upg replacement while a significant numbers getting replaced by LCA mk2

• Tejas mk2
  • MoD's policies
  • If forces would have been mature enough to realise that they can start a joint development program of ORCA/ TEDBF while completey scrapping LCA mk2 development.....but *sigh*

MRFA is significantly dead. Keep this in mind MRFA was started as an urgent requirement.
Reasons:
  • IAF top choice: Dassault Rafales - heavy backlog - production lines engaged for a decade...... even if Rafales win , IAF won't get any Rafales till 5 years.
  • other choices:> F15EX , Typhoon: US diplomatic pressure will lead a limit to their operations . For example : US will force us to limit their use for defensive purposes only just like in Ukraine.

Now with time, it's already proven that single engine fighters are effectively more practical, efficient and easy for an Airforce.

Given, We have LCA mk2 ( a single engine omni role combat aircraft) in development - all the future needs of IAF will be completed by AMCA and LCA mk2 only...... significantly reducing scope for ORCA.

ORCA might be inducted as a replacement of Su 30upg, but I highly doubt it......LCA mk2 fits well in that role too.....if anything AMCA mk1 in beast mode is an op choice for Su 30upg replacement while a significant numbers getting replaced by LCA mk2
I think ORCA is truly dead for forseeable future. Tejas mk2, mk1a, AMCA for air force, TEDBF, rafale marine for navy.

Su30 would be replaced my AMCA mk2 IMO

I think ORCA is truly dead for forseeable future. Tejas mk2, mk1a, AMCA for air force, TEDBF, rafale marine for navy.

Su30 would be replaced my AMCA mk2 IMO
Bro AMCA mk2 - 200+ no.s !?

America se amir ho gai ham log!?
F22 ne 200 cross nhi kiya, F35 ne 500 cross nhi kiya....

Kharidne to thik thik, maintenance karne ki aukat hai hamari, Su 30 ke additional orders nhi diye all because maintenance bhari pad rha tha, even though price is cheap.

Not just that , AMCA's intended role is air superiority while Su 30 even though made as an air superiority fighter is used by IAF as multirole fighter......

Thus the only replacement of Su 30 is either LCA mk2 or ORCA.

I barely see any signs of AMCA crossing 200 mark.

Bro AMCA mk2 - 200+ no.s !?

America se amir ho gai ham log!?
F22 ne 200 cross nhi kiya, F35 ne 500 cross nhi kiya....

Kharidne to thik thik, maintenance karne ki aukat hai hamari, Su 30 ke additional orders nhi diye all because maintenance bhari pad rha tha, even though price is cheap.

Not just that , AMCA's intended role is air superiority while Su 30 even though made as an air superiority fighter is used by IAF as multirole fighter......

Thus the only replacement of Su 30 is either LCA mk2 or ORCA.

I barely see any signs of AMCA crossing 200 mark.
Entire future of IAF is AMCA mk1,2 and tejas mk2, 1a. There is not even a plan on paper for anything else. Future is 5th gen and 6th gen. In 2040s no one will be making 4th gen fighters anymore. Also, in 2040 drone wingmen will be common. So 150 AMCA mk2 with 300 drone wingmen or other CATS drones will be online. 6th gen aircraft will be in small numbers in all airforces. Most of the numbers will be in drones.

Entire future of IAF is AMCA mk1,2 and tejas mk2, 1a. There is not even a plan on paper for anything else. Future is 5th gen and 6th gen. In 2040s no one will be making 4th gen fighters anymore. Also, in 2040 drone wingmen will be common. So 150 AMCA mk2 with 300 drone wingmen or other CATS drones will be online. 6th gen aircraft will be in small numbers in all airforces. Most of the numbers will be in drones.
What makes u say that given that US has already planned F15 and F16's active production line for atleast 2060s......

In 2040s noone would be developing 4th gen. but when it comes to production they would be still produced at high numbers, necessarily higher than 5th gen.

As I said Su 30 might be replaced by ORCA ......or LCA mk2 would be the obvious choice.

What makes u say that given that US has already planned F15 and F16's active production line for atleast 2060s......

In 2040s noone would be developing 4th gen. but when it comes to production they would be still produced at high numbers, necessarily higher than 5th gen.

As I said Su 30 might be replaced by ORCA ......or LCA mk2 would be the obvious choice.
you are wrong again, F15 F16 will be operational till 2060, that means, 2060s is when the last F15 and F16 will retire. In 2040s, upgrades for older 4th gen fighters would be happening, but new 4th gen aircraft would not be produced.

you are wrong again, F15 F16 will be operational till 2060, that means, 2060s is when the last F15 and F16 will retire. In 2040s, upgrades for older 4th gen fighters would be happening, but new 4th gen aircraft would not be produced.
Factually wrong:
Active production lines doesn't mean retirement

Simple example: France shut down Mirages production line long ago, still 2 decades has passed and France itself has operational Mirages.
I can give more examples too.
F15 might finally retire near 2080s

Production line would be active...... naturally TEDBF production would be active.
Thus ORCA can replace if IAF thinks about it.......
Or the obvious choice LCA mk2.

But when the winner will b going to decleared is more important .and starting manufacturing the jets with Eco-system being developed.same for Foreign partner forAMCA Engine.
SAAB is already working on it’s Next gen fighter jet, as they quit Tempest project with UK, Japan and Italy, does this ring any bell? Flygsystem 2020 is their 5th gen jet, so there might be a possibility of collaboration.

Most recent news about LM’s F21 resurfaced again

We should have them bare minimum only, from who can furnish them fastest, in cost effective manner with real tech transfer of value. And not being free brand ambassador of some

I believe that IAF will eventually get along with NAVY and procure IAF variant of TEDBF to increase IAF squadrons strength..

Tejas mk-2 is important but ORCA orders should be more than MK-2

SAAB is already working on it’s Next gen fighter jet, as they quit Tempest project with UK, Japan and Italy, does this ring any bell? Flygsystem 2020 is their 5th gen jet, so there might be a possibility of collaboration.
SaaB Dont Even have its own Engine for 5th Gen Jet.

114 MRFA tender in favor of Rafales with local manufacturing will cost around $35 to 40 billions.
So GoI will not go with such a huge expenditure anytime soon.

So most probably, India will buy another 36 Rafales and 26 Rafale-Ms.
Perhaps some local assembly and full maintenance in India by Indian personnel will be easier to sell to Indian Government.

Remember that India needs to replace large numbers of Mig-21s, Jaguars, Mirage-2000s, Mig-29s, and even some older SU-30MKIs which are not candidates for upgrades.
So India must bite the bullet and make a quick decision for Indian defenses.

• Tejas mk2
  • MoD's policies

Reasons:

it is already too late for even a 4th gen fighter jet, by the time TEDBF is realized it will already loose it’s relevance, so the best option for us is to minimize the number of 4th gen fighter projects and jump to 5th gen jets, to supplement local 4th gen jets and speed up the acquisition, we need MRFA. the more cheapest and immediately available among the bunch should be selected, the whole induction process should be over with in the next 5 years, would be better if the foreign OEM provides some help in our AMCA also during that timeframe.

I believe that IAF will eventually get along with NAVY and procure IAF variant of TEDBF to increase IAF squadrons strength..

Tejas mk-2 is important but ORCA orders should be more than MK-2
I have not heard any IAF person, retd or otherwise, HAL person, retd or otherwise, talk about this. I know that there was a plan for ORCA earlier but IAF rejected it. Do you have a source, I would like to see,

Factually wrong:
Active production lines doesn't mean retirement

Simple example: France shut down Mirages production line long ago, still 2 decades has passed and France itself has operational Mirages.
I can give more examples too.
F15 might finally retire near 2080s

Production line would be active...... naturally TEDBF production would be active.
Thus ORCA can replace if IAF thinks about it.......
Or the obvious choice LCA mk2.
Being operational and being in production are 2 very different things. F22 was in production between 1996 and 2011. That means it has no active production line since 2011 and has not been in production since. But F22 will undergo an upgrade which will enable it to remain in service until 2040 at which time they will start getting replaced by NGAD (6th gen) .

You said "US has already planned F15 and F16's active production line for atleast 2060s" this is wrong choice of words. They will be operatioinal and in service till then, but they wont be in production, nor will their production lines be active in 2050s, let alone 2060s.

I have not heard any IAF person, retd or otherwise, HAL person, retd or otherwise, talk about this. I know that there was a plan for ORCA earlier but IAF rejected it. Do you have a source, I would like to see,
No ofcourse not, if a civi like me would have any idea of IAF's plans then Ramji pls brace our country.

Its simple bro, observation skills:
Pls tell me a 4.5 gen fighter in future good enough to replace Su 30..........

We have already discussed AMCA nowhere can replace Su 30.........

So 3 choices:
  • AMCA mk1( high maintenance and mission price , while only good for air superiority)
  • Tejas mk2 ( a little too less payload when compared with this aerial tank, though completely capable of replacing Su 30 when it comes to air superiority as it has the capability of carrying 9 BVRAAM and 2 WVRAAM in air superiority config.)
  • ORCA( can carry more payload { I'm taking Rafales in context as ORCA is necessarily Indian Rafale} ,and much more advanced).

Being operational and being in production are 2 very different things. F22 was in production between 1996 and 2011. That means it has no active production line since 2011 and has not been in production since. But F22 will undergo an upgrade which will enable it to remain in service until 2040 at which time they will start getting replaced by NGAD (6th gen) .

You said "US has already planned F15 and F16's active production line for atleast 2060s" this is wrong choice of words. They will be operatioinal and in service till then, but they wont be in production, nor will their production lines be active in 2050s, let alone 2060s.
I still stand with my statement: Active production lines.......

Reason: soon 4th gen aircraft will have AI to pilot them , they would have everything in a better way leaving stealth which can achieved considerably just like in our Tejas + RAM coating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back