India Advances Towards Submarine Self-Reliance with Project-76

India Advances Towards Submarine Self-Reliance with Project-76

India is nearing a major breakthrough in its push for defense self-reliance. Project-76, the country's ambitious undertaking to develop and construct its own sophisticated conventional diesel submarines, is gathering momentum. This program signifies a pivotal step towards India securing its underwater defense capabilities.

The foundation for Project-76's success is already in place. India's prior experience in designing the hull of its Arihant nuclear submarine program provides crucial insights and knowledge.

Furthermore, the country's established success in building multiple submarines domestically, such as with Project-75, offers vital infrastructure and a skilled workforce.

India's ongoing development of its own torpedoes and cruise missiles will ensure the new submarines are equipped with capable defensive and offensive systems.

Project-76 promises to elevate the Indian Navy's underwater fleet by incorporating cutting-edge technologies. A core element is creating a new, entirely indigenous submarine design, a move that will foster India's own expertise in submarine development.

Though full details are yet to be released, Project-76 aims to build six advanced submarines featuring Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) technology. This technology will vastly improve the submarines' underwater endurance. Experts anticipate the project's design phase to be completed in the coming years, with construction beginning before 2030.

what happen Talks with spanish & German , if so then say Bye Bye to this two countries.

Construction slated to start by 2030? Oh dear... That'll mean our submarine fleet will be down to around 15 boats in the early to mid 2030s as all but one of the Kilo-class and two of the Type 209s bow out. Also, weren't 12 boats planned? 6 would be grossly insufficient. Maybe two batches of 6?

Speed up the damned thing!

Construction slated to start by 2030? Oh dear... That'll mean our submarine fleet will be down to around 15 boats in the early to mid 2030s as all but one of the Kilo-class and two of the Type 209s bow out. Also, weren't 12 boats planned? 6 would be grossly insufficient. Maybe two batches of 6?

Speed up the damned thing!
This is the project 76, ie next generation indigenous developed and constructed,12 conventional diesel electric submarine with AIP system.

Whereas Project 75I is what the current fuss is all about. the Germany's and Spain's submarines with AIP systems are participating for this.

Update on Project 75I:- indian officials are on a visit to Germany and Spain to check there AIP system, after that we can see things moving. In the next 1-2 years, we can see the deal being sign.

what happen Talks with spanish & German , if so then say Bye Bye to this two countries.
Navy personal are still sitting inside German submarine and testing the AIP for the last two weeks it seems, there is no word about Navy testing Spanish S80+ submarine.

This is the project 76, ie next generation indigenous developed and constructed,12 conventional diesel electric submarine with AIP system.

Whereas Project 75I is what the current fuss is all about. the Germany's and Spain's submarines with AIP systems are participating for this.

Update on Project 75I:- indian officials are on a visit to Germany and Spain to check there AIP system, after that we can see things moving. In the next 1-2 years, we can see the deal being sign.
Boss, I know that. My point is that our Kilo-class submarines all date back to the late 1980s and early 1990s, with the exception of INS Sindhurashtra, which dates back to 2000. By the early 2000s, all these boats except Sindhurashtra will have left service. Coming to the Type 209s, we have two boats dating back to 1986, and the remaining two from 1992 and 1994. The first two boats will be leaving service by the mid-2030s, while the last pair will leave service in the second half of the 2030s, with Sindhurashtra following around that time.

In terms of modern submarines, we would be having the 9 Kalvari-class submarines and the six Project 75I boats, which makes for 15 modern submarines by the mid-2030s. In this case too, it is quite possible Project 75I boats are still under construction.

If Project 76 submarines start construction only in 2029-30, then the first of these boats will not be commissioned by 2036-37 at the earliest, which is too close for comfort with the retirement of the last of the 20th century submarines. Any delays would potentially leave critical gaps in capability. Also, the article lists six Project 76 submarines, when there have been articles saying 12 boats are planned.

Navy personal are still sitting inside German submarine and testing the AIP for the last two weeks it seems, there is no word about Navy testing Spanish S80+ submarine.
If India wants to go for Last Conventional Subs Go For Spanish Submarine offer Germans cant b Trust war Time santion

Any reason for not going with Nuclear attack submarines based on Arihant/Arighat platforms ?
A submarine based on our SSBNs would be too large of a SSK. Even if you remove the ballistic missile section, a SSBN-based hull would come in at well over 4,000 tons, which is too large for a SSK. I would posit that Project 75A can draw a lot of lessons from the Arihant-class, as a 5,000-ish ton SSN would be ideal for our needs.

If India wants to go for Last Conventional Subs Go For Spanish Submarine offer Germans cant b Trust war Time santion
It isn't as simple as that. Spain has only recently started independently building submarines, and so lack a lot of experience.

yes that's there but German SUBS are much more advanced than Spanish ones, we just need to take risk and have binding contgract terms and heavy fine if terms are violated.

yes that's there but German SUBS are much more advanced than Spanish ones, we just need to take risk and have binding contgract terms and heavy fine if terms are violated.
And who will implement those contracts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APP
Back