India Needs F-35 Now to Counter China's J-20 Threat Until AMCA is Ready, Urges Former Air Marshal

F-35-JSF_1440760.jpg

Former Indian Air Force (IAF) officer Air Marshal Anil Chopra has made a strong case for India to acquire the F-35 stealth fighter jet as a crucial interim solution to counter China's growing air power, particularly the rapid deployment of its J-20 fighters.

In a recent interview, Chopra emphasized the urgency of the situation, pointing to China's plans to have 1,000 J-20s operational by 2035. While he acknowledged the significance of India's indigenous Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) program, he stressed the need for a stopgap measure until the AMCA becomes a reality. Chopra even advocated for direct Prime Minister's Office oversight of the AMCA program to ensure its timely development.

According to Chopra, the F-35 is the most viable option for India to bridge this capability gap. The positive feedback from IAF pilots who examined the aircraft at Aero India 2023 and a seemingly more receptive stance from the Pentagon suggest that the US may be open to selling the F-35 to India.

Chopra urged India to consider pursuing this option as soon as possible, even though no formal request has been made. He highlighted the F-35's advanced capabilities, including stealth technology and long-range strike capabilities, which would give India a significant advantage over its adversaries.

Beyond bolstering India's air power, acquiring the F-35 would strengthen its strategic partnership with the United States and serve as a deterrent to potential adversaries in the region.

However, Chopra acknowledged the challenges associated with buying American fighter jets, including logistical complexities due to India's existing reliance on Russian jets and potential US reluctance to share cutting-edge technology.

Chopra also highlighted concerns about India's outdated fighter jet squadrons and the urgency to address the gap in air defence capabilities. He acknowledged that acquiring American fighter jets is a temporary solution, and India must prioritize long-term investments in research and development to achieve self-reliance in critical defense technologies.

So what is the alternative?
Also provide me the technical details v/s 4th gen fighters why SU-57 is not 5th gen.
Technical details are not always the only source. Because you only have what Russians will tell you. But the fact is that Russia has cancelled 70% of its orders well before the war. China refused to buy it (and you didn’t provide any source to back up your claim that it was due to ToT) . And India refused to buy it while still going ahead with MRFA. This proves that any country who evaluates it discards it.

As for alternatives, you can go with whoever wins MRFA in place of Su57 and it will be better.

No need for F35 because they will not give you. In the meantime focus on ucav bomber,sea & ground drones,long range MLRS and home grown air defences of various type

Technical details are not always the only source. Because you only have what Russians will tell you. But the fact is that Russia has cancelled 70% of its orders well before the war. China refused to buy it (and you didn’t provide any source to back up your claim that it was due to ToT) . And India refused to buy it while still going ahead with MRFA. This proves that any country who evaluates it discards it.

As for alternatives, you can go with whoever wins MRFA in place of Su57 and it will be better.
None of the MRFA candidates are 5th gen and cannot compete with J-20 in terms of stealth.

Just cancellation of order is not basis to conclude the fighter as not being capable. Just so you know the Americans planned to buy over 700 F-22 Raptors and they bought less than 200, so going as per your logic is F-22 not capable enough?

None of the MRFA candidates are 5th gen and cannot compete with J-20 in terms of stealth.

Just cancellation of order is not basis to conclude the fighter as not being capable. Just so you know the Americans planned to buy over 700 F-22 Raptors and they bought less than 200, so going as per your logic is F-22 not capable enough?
F22's orders were cancelled because it was too capable for the world USA was fighting in at that time. As such they did not see a need for such an overwhemlingly capable platform when no one else was close.

SU57's orders were cancelled because the russians were simply incapable of making SU57s in great numbers. Even now the russians are so fucking inept they have only made like a dozen SU57s since the 10 years the fighter has been in production.

SU57 is NOT an option for us, the russians CANNOT MAKE THIS JET IN MEANINGFUL NUMBERS.

And they also refused to share ToT with us back when India was a partner with russia in SU57 program.

I mean.... SU57 cannot compete with J20 either......
It is a dogshit 5th gen wannabe aircraft. Completely different from the real thing.

Buying American fighter jets means you are on trap on maintenance. No outside ammunition can fit means spends a lot on it. No source code share to fit our own ammunition. On top of that US will dictate of banning when your policy is against their will.

Compared to the cost? Probably that is the right conclusion for F22. And only 1 country cancelled F22. I am giving you 2 examples, plus one more who was offered Su57 and refused it. Even the Chinese, whose J20 you claim can be fought off with Su57, refused this junk plane. They literally said that our J20 is better.

Compared to the cost? Probably that is the right conclusion for F22. And only 1 country cancelled F22. I am giving you 2 examples, plus one more who was offered Su57 and refused it. Even the Chinese, whose J20 you claim can be fought off with Su57, refused this junk plane. They literally said that our J20 is better.
I have already told you this Previously, but here goes again.

Russia has not cancelled and is still receiving the lot ordered.
The aircraft did not meet IAF specified criteria. This does not mean the aircraft is not capable.
You seem to trust China over everyone else. They will not purchase if they cannot copy.

Again SU-57 us not the best, but If you still feel SU-57 is no good enough then suggest any 5th gen alternatives immediately available to us where a former air marshal is recommending we purchase one.

F35 is a bad idea. You cannot trust USA as they may spring some surprise during event of need thus better to stay away. There are other options: Like SU-57, or Chakemate-SU-75.
Even the russians have only prouced 15 su57s so far. They seem to have some critical supply chain issues which i dont think tgey would solve any time soon. Particularly with the war going on!

I mean.... SU57 cannot compete with J20 either......
It is a dogshit 5th gen wannabe aircraft. Completely different from the real thing.
i dont think you can make this claim (on the design). the su-57 is not a mature platform and there is simply not enough public info.

stop reading too much into what gets said on english language defence forums.

that said you are right in that they don't build enough of them for it to matter.

I have already told you this Previously, but here goes again.

Russia has not cancelled and is still receiving the lot ordered.
The aircraft did not meet IAF specified criteria. This does not mean the aircraft is not capable.
You seem to trust China over everyone else. They will not purchase if they cannot copy.

Again SU-57 us not the best, but If you still feel SU-57 is no good enough then suggest any 5th gen alternatives immediately available to us where a former air marshal is recommending we purchase one.

The f-35.

the s-400 thing is a meme. They just didn't wanted to punish Turkey and found a reason to do so. If the f-35's achilles heel is being "SCaNned By s400", then it has a big problem lol.

anyway the counter j-20 is air defence. you guys think that 5th gen fighters will be dogfighting each other in the sky?

5th gen fighters get worried about so much when their value is still a question.

i think if india can get ghatak/swift + standoff weapons in real numbers india can hold much of tibetan plateau at risk. those are fragile, fixed supply chains 1000s of km from chinese industry, that cannot be repaired easily. You cant shift around roads in the plateau, even relatively rudimentary AI targetting should be good enough and overcome chinese EW.

India's geographic advantages over china are unassailable unless chinese make some tech breakthru. No amount of copy pasting current tech will get china in a position to do anything.

Sorry for all the doomers here.

Last edited:
The levels of ignorance makes me sick. F 35 is a dud. I feel so tired even to write on this. With this level of ignorance I have to start from a long long way back.

Always a problem with USA - can anytime put sanctions and stop supply of critical spare parts -- as yet no way to bye pass this possibility -- in that case all you end up is stealthy showpieces --

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back