Indian Navy Favors TKMS-MDL Partnership for P75I Submarine Project Amid Upcoming German Chancellor's Visit to India Later This Month

Indias-Project-75-I-submarine-contract_20241001064134_20241002054235.png

The Indian Navy is poised to select the German-Indian partnership of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) and Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) for the ambitious Project 75 India (P75I) submarine program. This decision comes as German Chancellor Olaf Scholz is scheduled to visit India later this month, accompanied by a delegation that includes TKMS CEO.

P75I aims to bolster India's underwater capabilities with six advanced diesel-electric submarines equipped with Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) systems. These systems significantly enhance a submarine's stealth and endurance by allowing it to operate submerged for extended periods without needing to surface for air.

The Indian Navy has conducted rigorous field evaluation trials (FET) to assess competing bids. TKMS emerged as a strong contender by successfully demonstrating its mature AIP technology during these trials.

In contrast, the Spanish shipyard Navantia, partnered with Larsen & Toubro (L&T), is not expected to have an operational AIP submarine until 2026. This delay has proven to be a crucial factor in the Indian Navy's decision, as it prioritizes a proven and readily available AIP system to avoid potential program delays and technical risks.

"The requirement of a sea-proven AIP assumes significance since, unless sea-proven, safe and reliable for its designed functionality, the AIP system will expose the programme to significant technical and operational risks,” a senior source explained.

Beyond AIP, the TKMS submarines boast advanced stealth features and cutting-edge sensor and weapons systems. The project also emphasizes technology transfer, with the design being shared with MDL to enhance India's indigenous submarine production capabilities. This aligns with India's broader strategic partnership model for defence procurement, which aims to boost domestic manufacturing and reduce reliance on foreign suppliers.

The first submarine under this project is anticipated to be delivered seven years after the contract signing, with subsequent deliveries expected annually. The project is crucial for modernizing India's aging submarine fleet, which currently faces operational availability challenges.

While no formal agreement is expected during Chancellor Scholz's visit, the German delegation will likely receive updates on the selection process. The final decision rests with the Ministry of Defence, which will review the Indian Navy's recommendations.

This potential deal underscores the growing strategic partnership between India and Germany in the defence sector. It also highlights India's commitment to strengthening its naval capabilities amidst the evolving geopolitical landscape in the Indo-Pacific region.

So project 75i sorted... Now let's see what IAF will do with mmrca
MRFA will just die and in any case won’t start coming in before 2033-2035, even if we sign in 2025..,

MRFA is just GOIs insurance against Tejas Mk2 massive and more delays? else my prediction it won’t happen… Though i think given our depleting strength, we should go for Rafales, if and only if the 1st domestically manufactured planes can fly by 2029-2030, with large amounts of TOT and local supplier ecosystem…

Let's see... Assuming the winner is announced and final negotiations are concluded by late 2025, that would mean a contract signing at the end of 2025 or early 2026. That means construction would start sometime in 2028, with launch of the boat sometime in 2030 (depending on when in 2028 construction begins), with comissioning following by 2033 pr so.

That is a very rough timeline. Once we get closer to contract signing, we should have more indications.
So 6 boats around 2033-2038, timeframe - i really hope they get it done and also have the option of 3 more which can be. triggered depending on progress of P76s!

So 6 boats around 2033-2038, timeframe - i really hope they get it done and also have the option of 3 more which can be. triggered depending on progress of P76s!
6 boats around 2033-40 might be a more realistic timeline, Sir.

Non Magnetic Steel with teardrop stealth hull??? are we getting them?
No idea. We would be getting the teardrop hull, since the Type 214 does have that kind of hull-form. Whether this will be of non-magnetic steel is unknown.

Would Germany be open to MDL say investing 25% stake along with Caryle…I know Caryle well and have dealt with them in my past life…There MO is simple - make TKMS profitable by cutting cost, boosting revenue and sell/list within 3-5 years…
Sir, that wouldn't work, as such dealings have a lot of sovereign politics going. In theory, this could work, but then how would you justify MDL investing that kind of money, assuming the Germans actually agreed to it?

I agree, we should get 3+3 kalavaris, as even if the P75Is is signed by mid 2026, we are looking at the 1st boat in 2033, and rest by 2038…

Want MDL to be busy if they can build the 6 kalvaris with our AIP and also upgrade the existing 6…Or in the alternate let us do 6+3 P75Is till we start on own P76s after 2035…

Thoughts?
I would be in favour of limiting the new Kalvaris to three boats, and taking on an option for 3 more submarines under P-75I. That way, one we get 12 P-76 boats, that gives us 27-30 boats.

6 boats around 2033-40 might be a more realistic timeline, Sir.
I presume 1 boat per year, as was or will be the case for kalvaris…How’s MDL industrial capacity to build 3 kalvaris upgrade 6 more and also start work on P75Is? Can they do it or are they upgrading their core infrastructure…Also how may this impact a follow on for P15Bs and potentially start of P18s?

Bharat really needs to enhance it shipbuilding capacity - both military and civilian? Mission critical capability!

Any thoughts?

They have already started to design and develop project 76, and there is good chance it will be final before project 75i. India has move to higher things, S5, nuclear attack submarines, and project 76.

The only thing of Germany it could change it's mind.
No... won't happen. P-75I should be finalised towards the middle of next year or so, unless negotiations stretch out. P-76 will only be cleared for construction (assuming no bureaucratic hurdles) in late 2026 or early 2027 at the earliest.

No idea. We would be getting the teardrop hull, since the Type 214 does have that kind of hull-form. Whether this will be of non-magnetic steel is unknown.
What is so special about TKMS non magnetic steel??? Can that steel be produced in Bharat?

Sir, that wouldn't work, as such dealings have a lot of sovereign politics going. In theory, this could work, but then how would you justify MDL investing that kind of money, assuming the Germans actually agreed to it?
Bankrolled by GOI, provided the Germans play ball and of course the Americans in the background? MDL could boost industrial capacity in Europe and also learn.. Will need a deeper strategic partnership with Germany and change in their investment and export control laws - tough ask…

The offering seems to be the Type 214 design with some elements taken from the Type 212A, and possibly from the Type 212CD design. We aren't getting Type 212As based on available information.
Time will tell when the contract is signed but the radical boat design seems to indicate that stealthiness is paramount.
Germans are making all efforts to win this contract so India must bargain hard for the best technologies all around.

No... won't happen. P-75I should be finalised towards the middle of next year or so, unless negotiations stretch out. P-76 will only be cleared for construction (assuming no bureaucratic hurdles) in late 2026 or early 2027 at the earliest.
Bidding, Selection and then price negotiations will take more than a year even if fast paced. Project 76 has then more chances of surging ahead, but project 75i will also be finalised as reaching critical juncture, unless war engulfs Europe.

Let's see how much T-o-T will take place during this deal.

It would've been better if India opted for an Economy of Scales by ordering Additional Kalvari-SSKs & kept focused on Project P-76.

Save money & invest in the Amphibious Aircraft & Indigenous LHDs & MCMVs.

Why are we dependent on single companies for R&D and manufacturing? In case of Subs its MDL, for surface vessels its GRSE and for aircraft its only HAL. Why does the government not develop atleast two companies each for navy and airforce like USA has Lockheed, Northrop and General Dynamics etc. Atleast gov should incentivise another private player to take technology from HAL and start building assembly lines for aircraft and L&T should be given more Naval manufacturing work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SIDD
Back