Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

The Indian Navy is looking to bolster its anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities further with the potential acquisition of 12 additional Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopters.

Sources familiar with the matter indicate that the deal, expected to be finalized in 2026, would likely be carried out through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. This move requires approval from the Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD).

This expansion plan follows the Indian Navy's recent induction of its first squadron of MH-60R Seahawks, a step seen as a notable enhancement of the force's ASW capabilities.

The MH-60R is a versatile multi-mission helicopter equipped with advanced sensors and weaponry, including Hellfire missiles, MK-54 torpedoes, precision-guided rockets, powerful radars, and night-vision systems.

The initial contract, signed in February 2020 and valued at Rs 15,157 crore ($2.13 billion), covers the purchase of 24 MH-60R helicopters. Currently, six helicopters have joined the Indian Navy's fleet, with the remaining 18 deliveries scheduled through the end of 2025.

The proposed addition of 12 more Seahawks underscores the Indian Navy's confidence in the platform. These helicopters offer a robust blend of combat power, advanced detection systems, and mission adaptability, solidifying their value in diverse naval operations.

Key areas where the MH-60R excels include:
  • Anti-submarine warfare (ASW): Tracking and neutralizing underwater threats
  • Anti-surface warfare (ASuW): Engaging surface vessels
  • Search and rescue (SAR): Locating and rescuing personnel in distress
  • Maritime patrol: Surveillance and reconnaissance missions
  • Special operations support: Transporting and assisting special forces units

P8I costs more than 2 times C295 MPA. Also, we have local assembly for C295.

Of course we use brahmos cruise missile to kill a mouse. But, if we can use hammer to kill a mouse we dont need cruise missile to do it.

Same way, P8I is super advanced, super capable aircraft. We should use it to detect stealth submarines, rather than use it to patrol land border with china or maritime patrol. Those 'menial' tasks can by done be C295 or dornier.
No, your cost figures are off. The P-8I costs us about 400 million USD each once you add in sensor systems, weapons, spares, long-term support etc. This is as per the original deal and as per the 2021 US clearance for the six additional P-8s the Navy has been requesting.

Now, on the other hand, if you take the recent C-295 deal for the Navy and the Coast Guard costs us around 29,000 crores for 15 aircraft. Even if you assume the Navy and Coast Guard's variants will be identical (which won't be the case: the Navy's variant will carry more sensors and weapons and therefore be more expensive), that comes to about 231.75 million USD per aircraft. Oh, and that doesn't include spares or long-term support.

In essence, if you compare the aircraft on equal terms, a C-295 for the Navy would be costing somewhere north of 255 million USD (taking a 10% markup over the above figure), while a P-8I would cost somewhere around 300-320 million USD. That is a price differential we could as well pay for the additional capabilities.

The Navy could go for a simple 18 P-8Is and 6-12 C-295s as a good fleet of MPAs.

I dont think that is the reason. Navy wanyed some experience operating these helicopters and only after being satisfied, are they going for further orders. Usually in these kinds of deals there is an option to go dor more aircraft at same price for this very reason. I believe testing the platform and using it in exercises before placing bul orders is a good decision.
You test new and unproven platforms, not ones that are proven and accepted globally across different conditions. You can claim to test the proven, but the cost of this is paid by the nation, both in terms of money and time more importantly, time, which cannot be recovered !!

12 more mh 60R are not bad. But I don't know why people are so hungry for imported products. China have no courage to attack even Taiwan forget India that require guts
which Chinese don't have. And Americans are giving daily lessons to India for arvind kejriwal, khangress and pannum. Still people loving to import more from them

We presently have 25 Sea Kings and 14 Ka-27s engaged in ASW work. Replacing these would require atleast 40 helicopters. Now, factor in the fact that the Navy has expansion plans, and that number rapidly approaches 50 or more. An idea worth considering would be to further increase procurement of the MH-60 to a total of 60 aircraft, which would be best suited for a long time to come.
They are not cheap.

Just shows the unrealistic way of planning on part of India. At the time of placing the first order for 24 in Feb 2020 itself, they should have placed multi-year orders for at least 36 more @ 10 per year considering the proposed usage within the Navy !! Even now the jokers want to drag their feet and go in for only 12 more.
You make it sound as if they are cheap.

They are not cheap.
They aren't cheap, but we don't exactly have a lot of options lined up, do we? With the MRSV tender being pursued quite seriously this time, the Navy needs more ASW helicopters. We can't get Sea Kings or Kamovs. Unless someone wants to bet on a DBMRH variant (do remember that the IMRH / DBMRH doesn't exist yet) that might take a decade or more to develop, we don't exactly have too many options here.

12 more mh 60R are not bad. But I don't know why people are so hungry for imported products. China have no courage to attack even Taiwan forget India that require guts
which Chinese don't have. And Americans are giving daily lessons to India for arvind kejriwal, khangress and pannum. Still people loving to import more from them
So, just because China doesn't have the guts to attack India, we should keep our own deterrence? You do realise that it is this deterrence that keeps them away, right?

No, your cost figures are off. The P-8I costs us about 400 million USD each once you add in sensor systems, weapons, spares, long-term support etc. This is as per the original deal and as per the 2021 US clearance for the six additional P-8s the Navy has been requesting.

Now, on the other hand, if you take the recent C-295 deal for the Navy and the Coast Guard costs us around 29,000 crores for 15 aircraft. Even if you assume the Navy and Coast Guard's variants will be identical (which won't be the case: the Navy's variant will carry more sensors and weapons and therefore be more expensive), that comes to about 231.75 million USD per aircraft. Oh, and that doesn't include spares or long-term support.

In essence, if you compare the aircraft on equal terms, a C-295 for the Navy would be costing somewhere north of 255 million USD (taking a 10% markup over the above figure), while a P-8I would cost somewhere around 300-320 million USD. That is a price differential we could as well pay for the additional capabilities.

The Navy could go for a simple 18 P-8Is and 6-12 C-295s as a good fleet of MPAs.
Well if you do want to compare them on equal terms, you should also include the fact that C295 will be made in India while P8I will be fully imported, no? Usually that inflates the price by 50% or more.

You test new and unproven platforms, not ones that are proven and accepted globally across different conditions. You can claim to test the proven, but the cost of this is paid by the nation, both in terms of money and time more importantly, time, which cannot be recovered !!
It’s a little more complicated than that, and that is why people with the relevant skill set are there to take these decisions. Here are a few pointers (for this comment and the original one you made).
  1. When you buy a platform, you have to pay a part of it as an advance. So buying in parts make more sense as you will commit too much money if you buy all at once. That is why Su30 or Tejas or now these choppers, among others, are ordered in parts. Globally, you can take the example of Indonesia. When they ordered 42 Rafale, they had a clause where orders are automatically placed every year for batches of 6 planes. So they are paying the advance also in parts annually.
  2. While it is true that these platforms are globally tested, the performance, across parameters, varies from country to country. Say, the operating costs might vary. The cost of mechanics will be different in different countries. Or the cost of fuel. Or even spare parts. So you will have to figure out how many you can support based on that. The availability rates will also differ. So again, numbers will be affected. Then, based on what other platforms you operate, the performance will vary. Say, what sort of surveillance systems (awaecs , drones, satellites etc.) you have will determine the actual operational range of the equipment for individual countries. Their interplay with the Russian equipment will also be considered. While all this is broadly considered when making the original purchase, actual performance can only be gauged in the field. This will all affect the performance and thus the numbers needed.

Well, you are buying stuff which costs billions of dollars. So it is important to be 200% sjre that you are making correct decision. And Indian Navy has very specific set of requirements. Every navy has its own doctrine, its own objectives and requirements. So, it is important to carry out exercises and trials on your own, before placing further orders.

buy everything piecemeal and make more trips and more commissions seems to be the motto of indian armed forces

So, just because China doesn't have the guts to attack India, we should keep our own deterrence? You do realise that it is this deterrence that keeps them away, right?
If china can not attack india then what is the need to import more from US. India can't defeat China by imported weapons. We must be self dependent. I think indian navy is better to decide which option and in how much quantity is better for them

Well if you do want to compare them on equal terms, you should also include the fact that C295 will be made in India while P8I will be fully imported, no? Usually that inflates the price by 50% or more.
That is the advantage that the C-295 gives: The fact that a good chunk of the money will be retained in India. That said, the reason I did not take that into account initially is that we are paying a royalty on both aircraft anyways. The only difference is that the P-8 premium would be far more than the C-295 premium.

If china can not attack india then what is the need to import more from US. India can't defeat China by imported weapons. We must be self dependent. I think indian navy is better to decide which option and in how much quantity is better for them
Sirji, this deterrence is part of what has been keeping us safe, and until we reach a point where we can attain self-sufficiency, we do happen to need to continue this deterrence.

The Navy is definitely better placed to make these decisions, buy we can express our opinions on this, can't we? I don't want the MH-60R or P-8I saga to become a repeat of the missed opportunity that the C-17 was.

That is the advantage that the C-295 gives: The fact that a good chunk of the money will be retained in India. That said, the reason I did not take that into account initially is that we are paying a royalty on both aircraft anyways. The only difference is that the P-8 premium would be far more than the C-295 premium.
What sort of royalty are we paying on P8I? (I mean actual royalty like we will be paying to Airbus)

Sirji, this deterrence is part of what has been keeping us safe, and until we reach a point where we can attain self-sufficiency, we do happen to need to continue this deterrence.

The Navy is definitely better placed to make these decisions, buy we can express our opinions on this, can't we? I don't want the MH-60R or P-8I saga to become a repeat of the missed opportunity that the C-17 was.
Sir India is safe because it have nuclear weapons and it's delivery systems. No country dare to attack India. Even NATO has no courage to attack North Korea, why? And C-17 was very costly and it was khangress term to purchase it which they missed. I have full belief in current government they will do what will be best for India. And we will never reach a point where we will be 100% safe, that's doesn't mean we will keep importing more and more. If we import 60 MH60R helicopters then why we are developing iMRH, and if navy choosing 15 more C295 then they had definitely go through all available options before finalizing. Atleast I believe in Indian Navy more than our indian army. And P8I and MH60R production lines are not going to be closed for many years as they have sufficient orders

Sign them now, right after elections...Indian Defense planning must get better, more integrated and more long term...adhocism, delays, and cost overruns can be minimized by better planning, execution and political will (a national security strategy with a long term spend plan codified into law can lessen a lot of political/babugiri)...We should start by allocating a long term non-lapsable 10 years (rolling) Defense modernization fund of $100-250B (over and above the annual Defense budget) for long term development, acquisitions (once approved, then go smoothly like nuclear subs, capital ships, LEO/VLEO satellite constellation, fighter planes, major multi-year acquisition's like MRFA, P-75Is, etc)....As for MH-60Rs we need at least 24 more, as IMRH/DBMRH will only start production by 2030 (earliest) and till then we need this capability to counter the dragon in IOR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Girish Bhilware
Back