India's 26 Rafale-M Deal Expected by Late 2024 as Dassault Aviation Resumes New Contract Signing after Reorganization

RafaleM_1.jpg

Dassault Aviation, the prominent French aerospace manufacturer, has announced the resumption of new contract signings following a strategic reorganization of its production and supply chain.

Among the anticipated agreements, a major deal with India for 26 Rafale M carrier-based fighters, estimated at Rs 50,000 crore, is nearing finalization. This procurement will establish the Indian Navy as the second operator of the Rafale M, following the French Navy.

Dassault has outlined its production plans to accommodate the growing demand for the Rafale M. Production will accelerate in 2025 to three aircraft per month.

The Defence Acquisition Council, chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, is expected to finalize the deal soon, potentially leading to a contract signing by the end of 2024. This acquisition emphasizes India's focus on strengthening its naval air power amidst rising geopolitical tensions in the Indian Ocean.

The Rafale-M jets, optimized for carrier-based missions, are poised to significantly bolster the Indian Navy's operational capabilities. Equipped with state-of-the-art radar systems, cutting-edge weaponry, and exceptional maneuverability, these jets perfectly align with India's strategic objectives.

The acquisition is part of India's broader initiative to bolster its naval forces in response to China's expanding naval capabilities. The Rafale-M jets, slated to operate from the INS Vikrant, India's indigenously built aircraft carrier, are a testament to this strategic commitment.

The Rafale-M's selection for India's naval aviation followed an extensive evaluation process that included rigorous sea trials. The jet's proven combat record, advanced avionics, and easier maintenance, coupled with India's deepening defence partnership with France, solidified its position as the preferred choice.

Powered by two Snecma M88-2 turbofan engines, the Rafale-M can reach speeds up to Mach 1.8 and boasts a combat range of 1,850 kilometers. Its Thales RBE2-AA active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar and Spectra electronic warfare suite provide advanced target detection, tracking, and self-defence capabilities.

The Rafale-M's armament versatility is equally impressive, capable of carrying up to 9.5 tons of ordnance, including air-to-air, air-to-ground, and anti-ship missiles. Its multirole capability enables it to undertake various missions, from air superiority and ground attacks to reconnaissance and nuclear deterrence.

This agreement marks another significant step in India's strengthening defence ties with France. The successful integration of Rafale jets into the Indian Air Force has laid a strong foundation for further collaboration.

Due to Small orders well established well known players were not Tested their production Earlier Bharat ordered 49 odd Mirage-2000 , Then Rafale Airforce version 36 & Now Rafale Marine 26, Dassault will now going for enhance production Rate of Fighter jet from yearly 13 to 16 to 24 & then 36 , even after having more than 200 plus orders in hand now they are thinking for Expansion its clears production is depended on orders & Not orders on productions , second Bharat have already paid one time ISE fee even then deal for 26 Fihter jet look costly

Correction: India will remain the sole export operator of the Rafale M. Nations that have or can own carriers either have their own aircraft, or buy stuff like the F-35B.

50k cr means 6bln
26 x 4.4 = 114.
4.4 × 6bln = 26.4bln.
Rough estimation goes to 26bln. With tot, new modifications,engine tot ?
Do IAF has exact plan what to purchase, when to purchase ?
even f15,f21 will cost almost same for 114 fighters.
Every country including usa purchase their fighters in blocks. Not like 114 or 126 or 272 in same configuration.

Good, but given dassault supply chain my concern is these Rafale-Ms won’t come before 2030, at the earliest, and god help us if Rafales are selected for MRFA…I don’t foresee MRFA and even if it does we won’t see those planes anytime before 2035 - neither in flyaway condition nor produced locally, reality no matter what the frenchies or their influencers say…

I say we go/evaluate full tilt with Americans even if we have to compromise strategically and give up some things and toe their line, without signing an alliance…At least we will have the capability to counter our main enemy China, else be exposed with dual stealth threat from China and their slave Pakistan…

Correction: India will remain the sole export operator of the Rafale M. Nations that have or can own carriers either have their own aircraft, or buy stuff like the F-35B.
Outside of France!

Question - if we had picked F-18s, would the delivery been faster and cheaper than Rafale-Ms?

Outside of France!

Question - if we had picked F-18s, would the delivery been faster and cheaper than Rafale-Ms?
Would have been costlier in long run....establishment new infra, new supply chain, training, new MRO, etc.. + inevitable rope (String will be understatement) with USA products..

Good, but given dassault supply chain my concern is these Rafale-Ms won’t come before 2030, at the earliest, and god help us if Rafales are selected for MRFA…I don’t foresee MRFA and even if it does we won’t see those planes anytime before 2035 - neither in flyaway condition nor produced locally, reality no matter what the frenchies or their influencers say…

I say we go/evaluate full tilt with Americans even if we have to compromise strategically and give up some things and toe their line, without signing an alliance…At least we will have the capability to counter our main enemy China, else be exposed with dual stealth threat from China and their slave Pakistan…
That's why french giving dual seat rafales from their inventory.

Outside of France!

I wrote "export operator", Sir. Regardless, considering that the present F-18E/F line is set to wound down by 2027 or so, short of the US shifting some of their orders back to accommodate our aircraft in, the timelines would probably have been similar only.

Dassault is cheating us. It's radar is not powerful.
Yes I know, IAF didn't like Rafale from the beginning, there are already talks about replacing Rafale Radar with UTTAM radar and replacing it's engine, which is going to increase the cost ten fold, poor decision to buy these Rafales in the first place, Now Rafale fans will be in line to smear, but I don't care, this is the ground reality, there is no smoke without fire, this is why IAF didn't execute even the follow on order even after Macron cried, begged and pleaded down in his knees to buy more Rafales for more than hundred times.

If IAF chooses Rafale a separate production line needs to be opened in India. Otherwise we will see AMCA and Rafale joining IAF simultaneously.

While terrorist nations like pak get all type of support from both communists and so called nato countries, country like India face more and more roadblock. To top it, our lethargic decision making process.

First 4 to 5 days war will decide war fate. Front line jets have to clear the path for dumb jets. Now we need jets technologically superior, faster delivery, lower cost, total tot. Almost all fighters in mrfa won't qualify this condition.

Outside of France!

Cheaper? Nopes. Rafale has won as L1. I hats what DPP directly states. Faster? Maybe. But unlikely. In fact, UAE recently placed its order on hold, so we might get it even quicker now.

$229 millions per each Rafale-M at todays exchange rate. Almost $6 billions contract.
Too expensive for Indian budgets.

Why India did not accelerate the Tejas Mk2 and TEDBF right after Tejas IA FOC was granted?
India could have had prototypes of both if it did and possibly get delivered even ahead of Rafale-Ms.

GoI, MoD, etc poor planning.

Yes I know, IAF didn't like Rafale from the beginning, there are already talks about replacing Rafale Radar with UTTAM radar and replacing it's engine, which is going to increase the cost ten fold, poor decision to buy these Rafales in the first place, Now Rafale fans will be in line to smear, but I don't care, this is the ground reality, there is no smoke without fire, this is why IAF didn't execute even the follow on order even after Macron cried, begged and pleaded down in his knees to buy more Rafales for more than hundred times.
Only in your dreams such things are being discussed. IAF is in fact so happy with Rafale that they scolded DRDO when they even brought up the topic of using Uttam on it. They kicked them out of the room. And they suggested even Navy to buy only and only Rafale. Even Macron has been told that they will buy nothing but Rafale, all 114 of them. That’s why he didn’t budge even when UAE put its order of 80 on hold, as they knew India is coming with a higher order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr
Back