Is HAL Considering Safran's M-88 Engine for Tejas Mk1A Amidst GE Delays?

LCA-Tejas-Mk-1A.jpg

India's burgeoning aerospace industry continues to push boundaries with the development of its indigenous fighter jet, the Tejas Mark 1A. While the aircraft boasts impressive capabilities and advanced avionics, a persistent challenge lies in its reliance on foreign engine suppliers.

A supply agreement with GE for their GE-404 engines has faced delays due to supply chain issues, prompting HAL to explore alternatives. One option under consideration is the Safran M-88-3 engine, which powers the Dassault Rafale jets that India already operates.

However, the transition to a new engine presents several hurdles. The GE-404 engine, known for its reliability and performance, offers higher thrust than the M-88-3. Additionally, the M-88-3's different dimensions would necessitate significant modifications to the Tejas' fuselage.

Safran's production capacity, currently optimized for the Rafale program, would need a substantial boost to meet India's demands. Switching engines would also entail establishing new supply chains and logistics, further complicating the process.

Integrating a new engine requires rigorous testing and certification, potentially delaying the Tejas program and increasing costs. The decision to switch engines also involves geopolitical and economic considerations, such as strategic partnerships and domestic industrial benefits.

While the Safran M-88-3 engine boasts competitive performance, transitioning to it is a complex undertaking. The GE-404's superior thrust, established integration with the Tejas, and mature supply chain currently make it a more practical choice. Safran would need to significantly ramp up production to meet India's needs.

It's important to note that HAL has not officially confirmed any plans to replace the GE-404 engine in the Tejas Mk1A. The Indian government is also actively pursuing the development of its indigenous Kaveri engine, which could offer a long-term solution to engine dependency.

This situation underscores the challenges and complexities of defence procurement and the need for a balanced approach that considers technical, economic, and geopolitical factors. As India strives for self-reliance in defence technology, finding the right engine solution for the Tejas will be crucial for its success as a world-class fighter jet.

If MoD feels GE F404 are being deliberately withheld from us while the US supplies it to other countries, then I think time has come to strike the US where it hurts. I think govt. should compel Air India and Indigo to rethink their huge orders with Boeing and GE. I think they should raise voices about rerouting the entire order to Airbus with RR engines.

It’s obvious that they will not be compatible as they work differently.

From the technical information on the differences and time consuming changes to accommodate Safran M-88-3 is not a good idea. It's like try to escape from a lion only to falling into crocodile's mouth. In moments of desperation if we don't act wisely we are bound to make more blunders. I wish they had collaborated with one of the reliable fighter aircraft engine producers long ago. I am all for "local production" ( made in India ) through ToT but when we are struggling in unfamiliar territories we need to seek external advanced technology knowledge.

Rafale uses m88-2 engine. M88-3 is a proposed variant with higher thrust. If in mrfa rafale gets selected one clause should be the integration of m88-3 .for that to happen we should also get a seperate deal for m88-3 like what we intended to do with amca engine, fund and join the program so that we can get tot and ip along with make in india.This engine can solve dependence on American engines their sanction threats and their couple threat (Bangladesh). somewhere we have to look for a replacement but as usual we will Waite till the last second and then run for lifeline.
IP for the M88? Yeah... that's not happening. Local production, sure. Some level of ToT, sure. IP, forget it.

Do not build jets around western engine

build jets around kaveri engine is the solution. First engine then jet

It is important for indian defense manufacturing that every part of Jet has variable and adoptable to meet the demand irrespective of shortfall surprises. Our Tejas should be designed to built as per situation or demand or cost effective aspect. Ex. Chassis of tranport vehicles vary along with its engine type, the cost vary with respect to higher laid carrying trucks. Similar thought say 2-3 variety of Tejas Platform will help in Long Term Customization...... 🙏🙏

Yes without any gov funding, they managed to certify the dry kaveri with own resources, that's a big feat. Gov itself strangulated Kaveri.
Kaveri didn't have funding? Seriously? You think GTRE funded the project out of their own pockets for decades?

Then govt should ink deal to make GE-404 engines along with Ge-414 engines at any cost ! or give up making single engine fighters and make twin engine ORCA powered by Kaveri-2.0 (80 Kn) engines ! GTRE should take reverse engineering route to make 90 to 100 Kn engines once we crack the tech GTRE can upgrade them up to 130+ kn thrust !

I just wonder why it is not possible for India to manufacture its own jet engine after decades of efforts. Of course it is much complicated and requires very strong manufacturing base. But we have given enough time and spent lot of time on it.

I had said that American option is a dead end but everyone was still chanting Tejas, Tejas. LCA Tejas is a dead horse with GE404. We should have scrapped LCA long time back. Now best option is to modify AMCA with AL51 engine and make it Su57 lite and buy more Mig29s and Su30s and 2 squadrons of rafale as stop gap.

Kaveri didn't have funding? Seriously? You think GTRE funded the project out of their own pockets for decades?
It's not what I think, it's what facts say.. after delinking kaveri from Tejas back in 2009, the funding of kaveri was stopped, GTRE and HAL kept it afloat by internal funds.
I hope you understand difference between a lab's internal funds and project fund and how it really affects the research spending and R&D outputs

India will again be a victim of politics and wrong choices like in case of HAL HF-24Marut, where they choose British engine that severely impacted performances, and make Marut underpowered and ruined programme. If they choose Soviet RD-9 engine at a time, much mire powerfull and more response engine everything will be much different, but a time one political decision ruined everything. Now it is a same, India choose Engine from unreliable partner who is a ally of India greatest enemy? Instead of choosing RD-33MK engine for MiG-35, that India can produce at home, again Indian politics knock final nails in Tejas coffin!
Albeit, still it is Not too late to change direction!

US will always block our progress especially high tech area by crook or nook, so we are being pushed to procure Russian SU75 now as we are in short of Fighters

It's not what I think, it's what facts say.. after delinking kaveri from Tejas back in 2009, the funding of kaveri was stopped, GTRE and HAL kept it afloat by internal funds.
I hope you understand difference between a lab's internal funds and project fund and how it really affects the research spending and R&D outputs
No, funding was not stopped for the Kaveri on delinking. Slowed, yes, but not stopped. In fact, by late 2009, GTRE was proposing a tie-up with Safran to provide Kaveri engines after the first 40 Tejas aircraft.

Oh, and in any case, even with over two decades of funding, GTRE couldn't get the Kaveri working, so any slowing of funds was still more than kind.

Even if GE supplies engine, HAL would not be able to deliver with delayed dates too as it already has 33 engines and still unable to deliver 1 MK1A resources.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishake kushwaha
Back