Spain offered India S-80 Plus submarines with technology transfer

Spain offered India S-80 Plus submarines with technology transfer

The Indian Navy, which is pursuing Project 75(I) to buy six next-generation submarines, has expressed interest in the Spanish Navy's recent commissioning of its first S-80 Plus-class submarine.

Under Project-75(I), the Indian Navy aims to improve its underwater capabilities by acquiring six conventional submarines outfitted with AIP. A Request for Proposal (RFP) was released in July 2021, seeking offers from shipyards worldwide. Bids were received by TKMS and Navantia prior to the August 2023 deadline.

The spanish state-owned shipyard that built the S-80 Plus, Navantia, has offered India its cutting-edge submarines in addition to substantial crew training, technology transfer, and assistance in developing domestic submarine manufacturing abilities.

Navantia is up against fierce competition from Germany's TKMS and its U-214/212 submarines, but it has a key advantage: a much lower cost per unit. The pricing gap is significant, according to those familiar with the situation. This might put pressure on TKMS to change its price or risk losing the contract to the Spanish competitor.

The S-80 Plus's sophisticated characteristics combined with Navantia's competitive bid could have a big impact on the P-75(I) project's conclusion. The Indian Navy must decide whether to prioritise cheaper cost per unit or go with the potentially better technology of the U-214/212.

It is anticipated that the Indian Navy will thoroughly assess both offers, taking into account elements like cost, performance, and technology transfer. Whichever bid most closely matches their long-term strategic objectives and vision for a strong submarine fleet will ultimately be selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r a
Back