ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems' Stealth Submarine Design Clears Key Hurdle for Indian Navy's P-75I Program

t2112cs.jpg

ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) has successfully completed a critical design review (CDR) for its innovative submarine concept, featuring advanced "Stealth Shaping" technology, initially presented for the Indian Navy's prestigious P-75I program.

The design, drawing inspiration from the cutting-edge Type-212CD submarines under development for Germany and Norway, highlights its maturity and potential to fulfill the Indian Navy's demanding requirements.

The CDR involved a rigorous examination of over 100,000 pages of documentation, ensuring the design's adherence to approximately 6,000 contractual obligations, as confirmed by the German Ministry of Defence.

The Type 212CD, while not yet officially designated by TKMS for its Indian variant, represents a substantial evolution from its predecessor, the Type 212A, incorporating its core principles.

A cornerstone of the Type-212CD design lies in its superior stealth capabilities compared to conventional submarines with rounded hulls. The incorporation of angled hulls significantly minimizes the reflection of sound waves, resulting in a remarkably low acoustic signature. This tactical advantage enables the submarine to operate discreetly in contested waters, enhancing its operational effectiveness.

TKMS aims to equip the Indian Navy with a formidable submarine capable of executing missions within a challenging maritime landscape. The successful completion of the CDR marks a pivotal step in the development of this advanced submarine concept, bringing it closer to fruition.

The Indian Navy's P-75I program seeks to acquire six advanced diesel-electric submarines with air-independent propulsion (AIP) technology. The program aims to bolster the Navy's underwater capabilities and maintain a strategic edge in the region.

Navy almost completes nuclear, conventional submarine requirements, awaiting to order, Navy completes P17B frigates, p18 destroyer,rafale m,65k ton,45k ton aircraft carrier designs waiting for order. But Airforce yet to finalize MRFA,AWACS,Air refuellers.

Just cancel the tender and sign Gov to Gov deal with Germany for 6+6 submarines, S-80 is still not equipped with AIP and the U-212 variant meets the Indain Navy's requirement.

Navy almost completes nuclear, conventional submarine requirements, awaiting to order, Navy completes P17B frigates, p18 destroyer,rafale m,65k ton,45k ton aircraft carrier designs waiting for order. But Airforce yet to finalize MRFA,AWACS,Air refuellers.
You do need MRFA? It wil kill Tejas, TEDBF & AMCA

Type 212 CD weighs around 2,500 to 2,800 tons. Whereas, acc. to the tender, participating Submarine is expected to be around 3,000 to 4,000 tons when submerged. Type 212CD is still relatively short.

I think India should order it with increased indigenous content.

It will not kill Tejas or AMCA. TEDBF is meant for navy where Rafale M is under orders - Navy might be tempted to order more if TEDBF is overly delayed.

MRFA might help in benchmarking lot of tech.

We missed a decade doing nothing ie 2000-2010. Now, IAF and India as a whole is paying the price for it. INC was not pragmatic and realist enough to believe that strong military is absolutely necessary for India.

Just cancel the tender and sign Gov to Gov deal with Germany for 6+6 submarines, S-80 is still not equipped with AIP and the U-212 variant meets the Indain Navy's requirement.
That’s what Germans are pushing for. Competition helps keep the prices down. Participation of S80 is very important not just from the perspective of pricing but also from as that of sanctity of the contract.

That’s what Germans are pushing for. Competition helps keep the prices down. Participation of S80 is very important not just from the perspective of pricing but also from as that of sanctity of the contract.
If they are offering a reasonable price then we should go for Gov to Gov deal and not delay. S-80 has many US components and is unlikely to get selected, the Germans probably know this as well.

The only alternative I think in case price is unreasonable would be to standardize on the Scorpene and order 6-12 instead of the 3 additional being purchased with DRDO AIP and some upgrades with additional TOT. This should give us sufficient time till we design our own P-76.

If they are offering a reasonable price then we should go for Gov to Gov deal and not delay. S-80 has many US components and is unlikely to get selected, the Germans probably know this as well.

The only alternative I think in case price is unreasonable would be to standardize on the Scorpene and order 6-12 instead of the 3 additional being purchased with DRDO AIP and some upgrades with additional TOT. This should give us sufficient time till we design our own P-76.
Mate Germans are geopolitical wildcard. It was just recently they abrogated arms deal with india, and afaik, they are also halting typhoon components to Saudis. Not a reliable seller for a critical machinery like submarine.

Sounds great , we must go ahead with the Germans especially if it's a 212-cd
It won't be the Type 212CD by itself. In any case, the Type 212CD is optimised for Baltic operations. My guess is that the design on offer is a modified Type 214 design with some elements from the Type 212A and Type 212CD designs.

MRFA is a quantitative necessity. Firstly, it won't kill any indigenous programs. Secondly, even if one assumes HAL can somehow get it's act together and start delivering aircraft in larger numbers, it is almost certainly the target of 42 squadrons won't be achieved for another 25-ish years, and depending on when the Su-30MKI phase-out begins, that target may not be reached for as far as the early 2060s. The six squadrons under MRFA will help maintain a capability and reach the 42 squadron target by the late 2030s.

This new design is a joint venture between Germany and Norway so the technology and details will not be randomly offered to our navy at all. Also they are still building their first submarine and it hasn’t even been tested yet including their AIP.

Our navy made it clear that the design, technology and capabilities had to be proven and be available for testing.

The submarine is likely to be a modified, enlarged variant of the Singaporean U-218SG Invincible -class submarines, while incorporating some features like VLS module from either the Israeli Dolphin or Darkar class and may also incorporate and would likely an additional add--on VLS launch module.

Great news and astounding features from German TKMS Type 212CD and new stealth features.
Indian Navy must hurry up with its reviews and selection of TKMS as P-75I contractor.

Provide a supercomputer for P-75I design center to host all of its design and development activities to advance in all areas.

If everything goes well, then India must also add additional 6 submarines in the beginning with stipulation that TKMS transfers restof 40% TOT to make it 100% TOT for a total of 12 submarines.

Great day for Indian Navy on the cusp of getting one of the most advanced stealth SSK submarines.

3 scorpene AIP submarines.
2 S5 SSBN Arihant class on built. (Arighat and Arihant already in service).
6 Project 75 Alpha SSN (project approved and first submarine is expected in 2032).
6 Project 75i.
12 Project 76 conventional submarine (design expected to be completed by the end of 2024).

Navy is on the right track.

Great news and astounding features from German TKMS Type 212CD and new stealth features.
Indian Navy must hurry up with its reviews and selection of TKMS as P-75I contractor.

Provide a supercomputer for P-75I design center to host all of its design and development activities to advance in all areas.

If everything goes well, then India must also add additional 6 submarines in the beginning with stipulation that TKMS transfers restof 40% TOT to make it 100% TOT for a total of 12 submarines.

Great day for Indian Navy on the cusp of getting one of the most advanced stealth SSK submarines.
6 + 6 order will surely benefit India but at greater cost. If India has fund and it's conditions are meet by Germany then it will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr
Back