Under Project-76, India will build its own conventional diesel submarines: Navy Chief

Under Project-76, India will build its own conventional diesel submarines: Navy Chief

Chief Admiral R Hari Kumar of the Indian Navy has announced the launch of Project-76, a large-scale program to build domestic conventional diesel submarines. In India's pursuit of building its own submarines, this initiative represents a critical turning point.

Project-76 will be the successor to Project-75I (India), which is currently in progress and involves the purchase of six next-generation submarines from either Germany or Spain. The production of these submarines will take place in India through a Transfer of Technology (ToT) agreement. Project-76 will have a solid basis thanks to the experience and knowledge obtained from Project-75I and the improvements made in India's submarine design and development capabilities.

Project-76, in contrast to its predecessor, will concentrate on the indigenous design and construction of six brand-new next-generation submarines. This project will build on the strong environment built by Project-75, Project-75I, and the ongoing nuclear submarine initiatives.

According to individuals with knowledge of Project-76, the design phase will be finished in the upcoming years. The submarines' construction is expected to start around 2030, which will be a major advancement for India's ambitions to modernize its submarine fleet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deepak
Back