ADA Seeks Domestic Suppliers for Stretched Acrylic Canopy Systems of AMCA Fighter Jet

AMCA_model_displayed_during_Aero_India_2021.jpg

In a significant move towards the development of India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has issued a tender for the domestic supply of stretched acrylic canopy systems. This critical component will be vital for the 5th-generation fighter jet, providing the pilot with crucial visibility and protection during flight.

The ADA is seeking six canopy bubbles that meet stringent military specifications (MIL-W-81752A and MIL-C-81590), ensuring they can withstand the extreme conditions of modern air combat. These canopies will be constructed from a specialized stretched acrylic laminated material chosen for its durability and optical clarity. Mounted on a metal frame, the complete canopy system must meet demanding performance and safety standards.

This tender represents a significant opportunity for Indian manufacturers to contribute to a crucial national defence project. The selected supplier will be responsible for more than just production. They will play a key role in refining the canopy system design, including tooling development, manufacturing process validation, and rigorous qualification testing.

The ADA has outlined specific performance requirements for the canopy system, including:
  • Service Life: A minimum of 5 years or 3000 operational hours.
  • Pressure Tolerance: The ability to withstand internal pressurization and external aerodynamic loads of 8.86 psi at temperatures reaching 90°C.
  • Bird Strike Resistance: Compliance with ASTM F 330, requiring the canopy to withstand the impact of a 4 lb bird at 850 kmph while maintaining adequate pilot visibility and safety.
Further technical specifications detail strict deflection limits for the canopy bubble under stress:
  • Z-direction: 2 mm
  • X-direction: 15 mm
  • Y-direction: 17 mm
The AMCA, designed to be a multi-role fighter with stealth capabilities, is expected to be a game-changer for the Indian Air Force. The development and sourcing of critical components like the canopy system mark important milestones towards the realization of this ambitious project.

AMCA is Going to b Reality soon ,with IAF strong support for Indigenous Fighter jet development

I have seen people getting mad over timelines of AMCA without knowing the fact that even F35 flew 10 years after the start of the project from 1995 . Amca was started in 2018 and the mfs want them to get operational before 2024 .

I have seen people getting mad over timelines of AMCA without knowing the fact that even F35 flew 10 years after the start of the project from 1995 . Amca was started in 2018 and the mfs want them to get operational before 2024 .
No one asks AMCA before 2024 unless the same has been undertaken by the concerned organisation. Every layman understands the complexity of the tech of 5th gen. What everyone complains about is the in-numberable times pushing of timelines into the future. It just shows either the organisation is inefficient even to estimate the correct timeline or just lazy to achieve it, take your pick.

AMCA is Going to b Reality soon ,with IAF strong support for Indigenous Fighter jet development
By soon you mean 2035? What I do not understand is the complete overlooking & silence of the MOD to make HAL accountable on their contracts. Hopefully the inefficiency of HAL will make MOD realise that for far too long HAL had the monopoly which needs to be cut down by funding in private sector alternative production line. With atleast minimum breakeven contracts private sector might take the risk of the funding the infra as a loan from GOI.

No one asks AMCA before 2024 unless the same has been undertaken by the concerned organisation. Every layman understands the complexity of the tech of 5th gen. What everyone complains about is the in-numberable times pushing of timelines into the future. It just shows either the organisation is inefficient even to estimate the correct timeline or just lazy to achieve it, take your pick.
Ada has never disclosed the timelines for first flight of AMCA . It was only media speculation. Last time I heard about AMCA timelines was from DRDO chairman Dr Samir V kamat . That is what I beleive.

AMCA began in the early 2010s alongside the FGFA, but it only picked up pace in 2017-18. Regardless, the problem here is that HAL has shown an utter incapability of keeping up to timelines, which means the promised timeline will also slip.

Each and every parts they wants to make inhouse which will delay the project but once ready it will give enormous autonomy esp from backstabbing countries like amerika. This should have been the norm and indigenous push should have been given that push long time ago. Hope in the coming decade we will be self reliant to face our arch rivals without any backstabbing and till then the cat and mouse game will continue to catch up the lost time. Hope the ejection seat rfi is also get finalized soon and that leave us only wanting foa an engine .

I would prefer a bit more bubble shape comoarable planes have bubblier design to let pilot feel more comfortable and see around.
With das that need for bubble canopy has gone. You are literally seeing everything with your sensors all around the plane and if a plane like amca has to do dogfighting then there is simply no need for a stealth.

Whenever the order is given they should manufacture it as quickly as possible and on time. Hopefully there’s a private company who can do that in India because we will always need to make and repair the canopies throughout many jets.

With das that need for bubble canopy has gone. You are literally seeing everything with your sensors all around the plane and if a plane like amca has to do dogfighting then there is simply no need for a stealth.
I want pilot to look behind occasionally, just like auto guy. If others that have fielded fighters are doing that means it has some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prakash
Back