Dassault's Hesitancy on ToT for Rafale May Further Delay India's MRFA Program

Atelier-Rafale-e1636467534801.jpg

India's ambitious plans for acquiring 114 Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA) under a new "Make in India" policy may face challenges due to the reluctance of Dassault Aviation, the maker of the Rafale fighter jet, to comply with technology transfer requirements.

The Indian government's new policy mandates that the chosen aircraft for the MRFA program not only be purchased but also fully manufactured within India. This shift in policy signifies a strong push for self-reliance in the defence sector.

Despite the Rafale being a frontrunner in previous MRFA bids and India's ongoing procurement of the aircraft, Dassault's hesitation to share critical technology for local production could be a major hurdle. This is despite the fact that Dassault is experiencing a surge in export orders for the Rafale, with a backlog exceeding 200 units.

The new MRFA policy aims to establish a robust domestic aerospace industry, going beyond mere assembly to include full production and technology transfer. This is in line with the government's "Atmanirbhar Bharat" (self-reliant India) initiative.

However, Dassault's reluctance could lead to potential delays in the MRFA acquisition timeline. Other contenders for the contract, including Boeing, SAAB, Lockheed Martin, Russia's MiG, and the Eurofighter Typhoon, may now have an advantage if they are more willing to meet the new policy's stringent requirements.

This situation presents a complex challenge for India, as it seeks to balance its immediate need for fighter jets with its long-term goal of developing a self-sufficient defence industry. The outcome of this negotiation with Dassault and other potential vendors will be crucial in determining the future of India's MRFA program and its broader aspirations for self-reliance in defence.

It remains to be seen how this impasse will be resolved, but it is clear that the stakes are high for both Dassault and India. The successful implementation of the MRFA program is crucial for India's national security, and Dassault's willingness to adapt to the new policy could determine its continued involvement in the Indian defence market.

You forgot your past comment 😹😹😹.... Typical Akshat 🙃🤭
too much excuses
I am asking for proof, since you asked for my comment on Dassault’s behavior. So show me the official proof that Dassault is not ready to give ToT.

Typical Pad UwU.

Too much bias against India and France.

Read all the comments. So funny that people are questioning me, based on an article with zero sources. 😂😂

Even more funny is the fact that they think that US will give us 100% ToT. Or Russia or Germany will. Boeing cheated us after signing the deal with us. Russia isn’t ready to give us 70% of ToT (of what they own) in Ka 226. While France gave us the entire tech for AESA and gave 40% indigenization in Scorpene while the contract said 0%. Hilarious.

Good I would be happy if we get the f15ex in a heartbeat or.... I'm also okay at least if got the EFT or Saab Gripen e/d as long there's something acceptable 60~80% tech transfer but it would be lovely if the can give 100% of it or just form JV
India does not need 60% tech. It needs full tech including engine. Else it is a waste that will have to rely on imports forever

India should invite China to setup and manufacture it's stealth jets in India. This will cause a seismic shift in relations
First of all the Chinese jets are not actual stealth fighters as their technology and capabilities are way lower than what they claim it can do. Also they see India as an enemy and are not interested in developing any meaningful relationship with us except trade links to try and get the maximum amount of money from us. You honestly think that they will set up a stealth jet manufacturing line in India? You must be delusional!

IF Dassault does not play the ball India should start with MIG 35 and than consider any other but not any US manufacturer as in time of need they will again turn off GPS for India. Unless they retrofit the GPS for NAVIC may be that may be a potential.

I am asking for proof, since you asked for my comment on Dassault’s behavior. So show me the official proof that Dassault is not ready to give ToT.

Typical Pad UwU.

Too much bias against India and France.
It is not new news, this happened 10 years ago, that is the reason why the purchase was limited to 36 instead of 126 in the last MRCA1.0, because France was not ready to offer any TOT at that time, the guys in the procurement team completely forgot about that and after waking up this morning remembered what happened 10 years ago and realized it would still be the case today, so that is the reason we are looking else where for MRFA.

India should focus on Tejas Mk2 and AMCA instead of MRFA.
When getting GE engine dragging endlessly, Tejas MK2 is not possible, this why we need a backup, if we can make EF Typhoon and EJ-200 engine both in India, we could use that engine in MK2, Gripen also has that option to fit EJ200 engine.

If the French are unwilling to transfer technology, they should be disqualified from MRFA. As simple as that. ToT is a requirement. You either conform to it, or you offer alternatives for a compromise, or you simply don't get the contract. As simple as that.

Oh, and this news, if true, could also be a harbinger of what might happen in the engine co-development project. We need to tread carefully.
TOT as well as willingness to work with an Indian entity.

Good move by GOI; as eventually the French will play ball but may not give us 100% TOT, but set up domestic manufacturing with a JV partner and local ecosystem - could be workable as long as terms are good and we learn a lot…
They don’t want to, they want to buy 100% stake in DRAL and do this themselves.

Still acceptable if we get 36 in flyaway condition, delivered by 2028, and production of the rest 12-18 per year locally by 2029-2030, with JV, local suppliers and increasing amount of TOT…
We are not getting Rafale.

Can pay MBDA and integrate Meteors also to Uttam AESA radar for this MIG35i next...YOU DREAM!!MBDA is European and they will never agree to put that in a russian plane.
At-least for once you are smart and saying the right thing.

IF Dassault does not play the ball India should start with MIG 35 and than consider any other but not any US manufacturer as in time of need they will again turn off GPS for India. Unless they retrofit the GPS for NAVIC may be that may be a potential.
It will most probably be SAAB Gripen, same engine GEF414 as Tejas MK2, same missiles that Rafale use, so everything can be shared between 36 Rafales and Gripen, it also use American Missiles that we use in our P8 and may be F/A-18, so it makes more logical to select Gripen-E, we can have a separate deal with MBDA for Meteor, storm shadow and other missiles to use in Gripen as well as in Tejas MK2.

I laughed enough after reading all the comments, itt’s been a while since I had a very fun day.

I agree 100%. You are astute reader of geopolitics. China is what it is today due to US investments, technology and ideas as they did not want it to go like Soviet Union...India is the new boy in town against China - we must play this well so we can develop...India may become a threat to the US but not before 2050, is my prediction - but it will that is for sure...Also if you are the US you are doing what is in your interest, nothing wrong with that...
I wholeheartedly agree. We still have a quarter century or so before we become the main target. However, we should also prepare for that. As for the US following it's national interest, as you said very rightly, nothing wrong in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shailesh Ghanshyam Chaudhari
Back