HAL to Deliver 120 Tejas MkII Jets to IAF by 2036: Production to Begin from 2029 with 16 Jets Annually

LCA-Tejas-MK2.jpeg

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has announced ambitious plans to manufacture at least 120 Tejas MkII fighter jets by 2036, according to Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) CB Ananthakrishnan.

The timeline aligns with the potential retirement of the Indian Air Force's (IAF) aging Mirage-2000 and MiG-29UPG fleets, ensuring a smooth transition and maintaining the IAF's air combat capabilities.

HAL's production strategy involves a phased approach, beginning with an initial rate of 16 Tejas MkII jets per year from 2029 to 2030. This rate will progressively increase to 24 units annually by 2032-2033, with the entire production run expected to be completed by 2035-2036.

The Tejas MkII, an advanced iteration of the indigenous Tejas MkI, represents a significant leap forward for the IAF. It boasts enhanced capabilities, including greater range, payload capacity, and maneuverability. Additionally, it will feature state-of-the-art avionics and weapons systems.

The first Tejas MkII prototype is slated for rollout before March 2026, with its maiden flight planned for June 2026. A comprehensive two-year flight testing program will follow, culminating in late 2028. The successful completion of this rigorous testing phase will pave the way for finalizing a production contract with the IAF.

This ambitious production plan underscores HAL's commitment to strengthening India's indigenous defense capabilities and reducing reliance on foreign imports. The Tejas MkII is poised to play a pivotal role in modernizing the IAF's fighter fleet, ensuring its continued air superiority in the years to come.

he is aiming for 2036... actual delivery will be delayed by average 5 years looking at HAL record. When whole europe, US and probably china will be having full scale 6th gen fighter induction Our IAF at the mercy for ada and hal will be inducting 4th gen LCA mk2(post 2032) which will be inferior to Rafale (2024) and EFT (2024).
What do you mean by delay of 5 years bro? Mk2 was supposed to get under production in 2016 (this was the official stance of HAL in 2013-2014, as given in writing to vendors). So 5 years is way too lenient.

Lol, every time he keeps pushing the deadlines....as i have said numerous times.....IAF will receive its first squadron of 16-18 planes not a day before Dec 31, 2032.
Not happening in the whole next decade bro. (Assuming HAL and ADA are still in charge of the project and there are no major reforms or privatization in these entities).

What do you mean by delay of 5 years bro? Mk2 was supposed to get under production in 2016 (this was the official stance of HAL in 2013-2014, as given in writing to vendors). So 5 years is way too lenient.
Yeah official stance in 2014 but where were the funds man?? Let's be honest in 2014 even no one is really betting big on Tejas mk-2, so a slow project moving at snails pace got recognition after 2019 or so!! More accurate timing of recognition of this project is sep 2022!!

They also have plans to produce 4 prototypes for testing. A 2 year window is too short for testing. I think by 2026 they will declare that testing in 2years is not possible due to ...xyz reasons.
It is possible, but only if plane flies perfectly from get go that IS AN ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE HIGH STANDARD TO MEET, AND FURTHER THESE TESTING ARE THERE TO MAKE BETTER AND REfINE FLIGHT CONTROL LAWS as plane has canards. So, five years is an more likely time line. Further these planes have sensor fusion, AI and so need lots more testing. If M0di government is determined to do then possible.

Yeah official stance in 2014 but where were the funds man?? Let's be honest in 2014 even no one is really betting big on Tejas mk-2, so a slow project moving at snails pace got recognition after 2019 or so!! More accurate timing of recognition of this project is sep 2022!!
HAL has always maintained that the plane will be rolled out 36 months after order is placed by ADA, right? So if they say that the plane will come in the next 24 months, that means funds were present, no? In fact, many sources have mentioned that funds were already cleared in 2012. The funds given in Sep 2022 were additional funds after the original amount was flushed down the drain.

HAL has always maintained that the plane will be rolled out 36 months after order is placed by ADA, right? So if they say that the plane will come in the next 24 months, that means funds were present, no? In fact, many sources have mentioned that funds were already cleared in 2012. The funds given in Sep 2022 were additional funds after the original amount was flushed down the drain.
i remember in 2019 aero india HAL chairman boasted of having Mk2 rollout in 2 years (by 2021) and as per him work has already started on the actual prototype(no mention on fund clearance etc). But as usual these thick skins are shameless.
HAL produce massive profits every year, some one should ask where do they spend such profits and always beg IAF to even integrate a simple missile to tejas.

Lets be honest to the facts when responding.

MRFA- IAF gave it's response way back in 2010/2011. It was HAL which failed to close the deal.

Mk1A - Again, the trainers from the original FOC standard Tejas are yet to be delivered. At the time of signing the deal, they were yet to deliver some FOC standard planes and 18 trainers (8 from old deal and 10 from the deal just signed). The new line of 8 planes had just been opened, which meant it would have taken some time for delivery. This means in 3 years HAL could have delivered a little more than 24 planes. And it had about that many planes to deliver (include 3 Mk1A as well). So IAF and MoD perfectly timed the deal, assuming a decent efficiency from HAL. It is HAL's fault again that they failed to deliver 13 of those trainers and 3 mk1a.

And no. HAL doesn't report to MoD. HAL is a private company, and reports to it's board. That board has nominees from the MoD/GoI.
HAL din't even want to take responsibility of its own production jets and were asking 3 times more man hours for same piece of work compare to Dassault. they can't work with any western partner except curropt russian who know how to squeeze HAL for each part like in case of Sukhoi which cost twice in india compare to Russia and HAL is proud of it .

Many sources which sources you are talking about???
Tejas mk-2 was funded by hal owns internal funds which shows the intrest in this program!!
And so you are saying with just 2500crore you are going to make everything?? What utter nonsense is this basically you are trying to say you just go and make a plane and try to fly it without any studies on aerodynamic structure of the plane or initial design of the plane!!

i remember in 2019 aero india HAL chairman boasted of having Mk2 rollout in 2 years (by 2021) and as per him work has already started on the actual prototype(no mention on fund clearance etc). But as usual these thick skins are shameless.
HAL produce massive profits every year, some one should ask where do they spend such profits and always beg IAF to even integrate a simple missile to tejas.
Yeah and ironbirds structure of the Tejas mk-2 were order given to 5 manufacturers but then what still no interest in the program shown, MoD and IAF waited till they feel that they needed this and later program recieved green signal from the IAF!!

Many sources which sources you are talking about???
Tejas mk-2 was funded by hal owns internal funds which shows the intrest in this program!!
And so you are saying with just 2500crore you are going to make everything?? What utter nonsense is this basically you are trying to say you just go and make a plane and try to fly it without any studies on aerodynamic structure of the plane or initial design of the plane!!
Nope. MoD funded it. Ajai Shukla had given a detailed break down of it.

I am not quoting any amount buddy. I am just saying that HAL made a commitment. So whatever funds it would have asked for would have been provided. Whatever studies were required were done. Or else they openly lied and bluffed their way. Have your pick. Either way HAL is to be bashed and blamed.

I don't remember the 2019 statement. But it seems his standard reply is 2 years. 🤣🤣In 2014 he said 2 years. In 2016 he said 2 years. In 2019 and then in 2021 he said 2 years. And even right now he is saying 2 years.

Not happening in the whole next decade bro. (Assuming HAL and ADA are still in charge of the project and there are no major reforms or privatization in these entities).
Atleast we agree that its not happening by 2032.....well i am elated cos this is probably the first time we agreed on anything over the past 2 years across numerous posts! Cheers as I find intelligent discussion being informative to everyone!

The Chinese jets are not actual stealth jets and their capability are much lower than what they claim. Also they can’t start a war because we have nuclear weapons and unless they want to destroy their own country they won’t start a war.

India is already developing a proper 5.5th generation jet with the AMCA and it will fly in a few years time.
Few years , yeah of course.... All know you mean few decades !

Very Good News. If all goes well then By 2036 (220 Tejas MK1A+120 Tejas MK2) More than 300 Fighter jets will b added .plus some Jets From MRFA.
By 2036, we might have 200-ish Tejas Mk 1/1As and some 60-ish Tejas Mk 2s. That, mind you, is the best case scenario unless HAL can pull off some miracles within the next year or two.

Nope. MoD funded it. Ajai Shukla had given a detailed break down of it.

I am not quoting any amount buddy. I am just saying that HAL made a commitment. So whatever funds it would have asked for would have been provided. Whatever studies were required were done. Or else they openly lied and bluffed their way. Have your pick. Either way HAL is to be bashed and blamed.
Well I agree with you on that part I don't like the working culture of hal or any other giv backed companies but showing very little or just fine intrest in the Tejas mk-2 program is equally on mod too!! The way this program was treated is also not good!! If things were planned in a better way then conclusion of MRFA tender and Tejas mk-2 both were flying in the Indian sky and I love to watch them!!

Well I agree with you on that part I don't like the working culture of hal or any other giv backed companies but showing very little or just fine intrest in the Tejas mk-2 program is equally on mod too!! The way this program was treated is also not good!! If things were planned in a better way then conclusion of MRFA tender and Tejas mk-2 both were flying in the Indian sky and I love to watch them!!
Bhai my point is that HAL asked for that amount and MoD gave that amount. IAF/MoD had also committed to 200+ planes. I don't think they can show any more interest. As for MRFA, I think the whole of MoD fell for HAL's promises. They really were waiting for Mk2 in 2022.

It is possible, but only if plane flies perfectly from get go that IS AN ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE HIGH STANDARD TO MEET, AND FURTHER THESE TESTING ARE THERE TO MAKE BETTER AND REfINE FLIGHT CONTROL LAWS as plane has canards. So, five years is an more likely time line. Further these planes have sensor fusion, AI and so need lots more testing. If M0di government is determined to do then possible.
Two years is too good to believe. Hope I am wrong.

We are talking about the production of a 4.5 gen warplane when the chinese would be bringing in gen 6. Its time to bite the bullet and plan for gen 5 and gen 6. Make in India for fighter craft can planned for the long run, immediate requirements of the air force will have to met by off the shelf purchases. Unless this is done Indian Air force will be facing chinese fighters that will outrange, out maneuver , and without being detected simply annihilate us... TOT if possible can be obtained in parallel while procuring these fighters
GoI is still obsess of 4.5gen aircraft.... That's the bureaucrats and the generals in air force and navy don't want to explore of future planning to join GCAP Tempest or forming a research group....
But don't worry we still have our hopes for the overspec paper only AMCA that HAL is hyping around until they show us a real working prototype by the end of the decade 😅🙃

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kishore
Back