India Demands Full Domestic Manufacturing for MRFA Fighter Jet Program

MRFA-1.jpg

In a move signalling a bold shift in its defense acquisition strategy, India's government has seeking a new policy mandating complete fighter jet production within the country for its upcoming Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA) program. This decision signifies a significant departure from previous 'Make in India' initiatives that focused on partial domestic production.

Under this revised policy, any company bidding for the lucrative MRFA contract, estimated at $23 billion, must be willing to establish a manufacturing facility in India capable of producing the entire aircraft. Additionally, the government seeks comprehensive technology transfer and a joint venture with a local partner for full-scale production.

This move is seen as a clear step towards India's goal of achieving 'Atmanirbhar Bharat' (self-reliance) in defense. While the policy change may delay the much-needed acquisition of fighter jets for the Indian Air Force, it is aimed at bolstering the domestic aerospace industry and reducing reliance on foreign suppliers.

Several leading aircraft manufacturers, including Dassault, Boeing, SAAB, Lockheed Martin, and others, are reportedly vying for the MRFA contract. However, the new policy raises the stakes for these companies, forcing them to re-evaluate their bids and propose a comprehensive plan for complete aircraft production in India.

Industry analysts expect a new global tender incorporating these stringent requirements to be issued soon. However, the policy shift is also anticipated to further delay the MRFA acquisition process, given the complexity of setting up full-fledged manufacturing and technology transfer.

The Indian Air Force currently operates with 31 fighter jet squadrons, significantly below the sanctioned strength of 42. While the new policy aims to build long-term capabilities, it also underscores the immediate need for the Air Force to bridge the gap in its fighter fleet.

The success of this ambitious policy change will hinge on effective collaboration between the government, foreign vendors, and domestic partners. The challenges ahead are considerable, but if successful, the MRFA program could significantly boost India's domestic aerospace industry and propel it towards greater self-reliance in defense.

Just buy 6 squadrons of rafale and put more money into R&D for Tejas and AMCA, end this tender which is going on for decades with no progress, it's just a ticket for higher ups to visit foreign countries in the name of evaluation
6 squadrons is the strength under MRFA. What you are suggesting, therefore, is MEFA, potentially without local manufacturing.

Might be Pappu Soga Gov in 2030 year, will come in and order 72 Rafale F5 version jets for IAF; when ACM starts crying for non-Russian jets perhaps so.....?? Until then ONLY MIG35's will save IAF and also India will be heavily sanctioned by west Japan SK and Singapore also!
India is already virtually sanctioned which is quiet apparent with the engine denial and dragging, what I think would have happened is, we might have been forced to consider F21 inorder to get GE engine that we didn’t accept, to show defiance M0di went and met Putin which made things even worse, Europeans including France will follow the suit soon, Even Russia won’t offer 100%TOT on SU-35 which is their current famous and hottest jet that has a huge export potential once the war ends, realistically they won’t offer much TOT on SU-75 also, so the only jet left is MIG-35, which they will be more than willing to offer 100% TOT, I am realistic here considering every single factor, unlike some people who dream, we are going to make RD-33MK engine soon for MI-29 UPG upgrade, I truely believe this is our only option or fit two RD-3Mk and make both ORCA and TEDBF, unless Russia offers excessive TOT on SU-75 which I am highly doubtful.

Because your Favorite Company/Country doesn’t want to make in India or work with any Indian entity or ready to transfer even 1% Tech.
Again with that silly accusation from you or beencensured about me being in favour of one particular jet in MRFA.

I have said it time and again that I am not in favour of any particular jet. All I say is that the Rafale has a starting advantage since it is already in use. If you cannot comprehend the difference between those two statements, then I don't have anything else to say to you.

However, I will say this: If you really want the Su-35, just go for more Su-30MKIs in the Super Sukhoi configuration with the AL-41 engine.

As for the MiG-35, it is a big failure of a project that essentially looked to re-brand the MiG-29K and sell it. When we have a date set for the retirement of the MiG-29 and MiG-29K, plus the fact that operators around the world are looking to retire the MiG-29 gradually, plus the fact that even Russia has not purchased the MiG-35 besides a small token number, why would you reasonably want that? Even the Su-57 has atleast been bought by Russia. The MiG-35 is just a gone case, if you ask me.

That said, if the IAF decides the MiG-35 is the best for their needs, then so be it. They know better than you or I.

Maybe, just maybe, next time before you start levelling accusations, think things through once.

Again with that silly accusation from you or beencensured about me being in favour of one particular jet in MRFA.

I have said it time and again that I am not in favour of any particular jet. All I say is that the Rafale has a starting advantage since it is already in use. If you cannot comprehend the difference between those two statements, then I don't have anything else to say to you.

However, I will say this: If you really want the Su-35, just go for more Su-30MKIs in the Super Sukhoi configuration with the AL-41 engine.

As for the MiG-35, it is a big failure of a project that essentially looked to re-brand the MiG-29K and sell it. When we have a date set for the retirement of the MiG-29 and MiG-29K, plus the fact that operators around the world are looking to retire the MiG-29 gradually, plus the fact that even Russia has not purchased the MiG-35 besides a small token number, why would you reasonably want that? Even the Su-57 has atleast been bought by Russia. The MiG-35 is just a gone case, if you ask me.

That said, if the IAF decides the MiG-35 is the best for their needs, then so be it. They know better than you or I.

Maybe, just maybe, next time before you start levelling accusations, think things through once.
But your postings are quiet obvious otherwise, even after your denial many times.

F414 derivative, yes. 118 kN, nope. The F414 derivative on the Gripen E/F seems to be capable of generating 98 kN wet thrust.
Right currently, SAAB GE414 variant makes 98Kn Thrust, but is different variant than one that was proposed to India, it’s dry thrust is more, that allows Gripen E to super cruise at 1.1 mach without using After Burners, but SAAB has a plan to use EPE derivative of this engine during next upgrade.

Why on Earth would you want an ancient MiG-29 with the serial numbers filed off? The MiG-35 is essentially a repackaged MiG-29 that Russia itself isn't buying, not to mention the fact that a number of MiG-29 operators have started retiring the aircraft, or have dates in place to do so.
Anything is better than Mig35 even our tejas Mk1A.

OH Tell Mr one single project delivered on time. Do u chumps even realize that tge very core definition of a project is its a "Time Bound Endeavor to achive a specificgoal or objective". Emphasis on TIME BOUND. Even the DPSU know there is no way they are going to meet target deadline. Yet tine abd again they take every one on a ride. Promising moon yet not even delivering peanuts. People such as u expect that specifications shoukd be watered down just bcoz we are buying from domestic sector . We'll in weapon design there is no such thing as partial fulfillment of requirements. It's either it meets specifications or it does not . PERIOD.
Who make specifications, and why they are different than foreign which has exceptions. If lopsided thinking are used then you can justify nonsense, but Indian is always been better than foreign.

Why on Earth would you want an ancient MiG-29 with the serial numbers filed off? The MiG-35 is essentially a repackaged MiG-29 that Russia itself isn't buying, not to mention the fact that a number of MiG-29 operators have started retiring the aircraft, or have dates in place to do so.
Something is better than anything at all, SU-35 is not needed when we are doing Super upgrade, also they only want MWF not heavy fighter jet, Russia won’t offer TOT on SU-75 or SU-57, so if we buy any jet from them it will be either MIG-35 or make SU-75 in india with reasonable amount of TOT or go back to FGFA, other Countries wont’t offer even 1% TOT realistically.

Seriously? When US is blackmailing Bharat on F404, how can you trust US on F414 for which only 80% TOT is promised. It seems France has now become the only nation which is reliable even when their products are very costly.
We have to forget about GE engine.

Gripen failed the trials. As for cost, Rafale has been chosen as L1 every single time by India so they are the cheapest. No dirty gaming by them.
Yes Gripen C and D prototypes, and even Rafale F3, that’s why we bought only 36.

Yes Gripen C and D prototypes, and even Rafale F3, that’s why we bought only 36.
That’s still 36 more than EF or F18 or F16 or Gripen or Mig 35. Imagine how much IAF must have hated their performance. Kicked them right out (except EF of course, which was way too expensive).

That’s still 36 more than EF or F18 or F16 or Gripen or Mig 35. Imagine how much IAF must have hated their performance. Kicked them right out (except EF of course, which was way too expensive).
Gripen E, F/A-18 Block 3, SU-35, F15EX F16 Block 72/F21 and EF-Typhoon Tranche 5 are not kicked out.

Gripen E, F/A-18 Block 3, SU-35, F15EX F16 Block 72/F21 and EF-Typhoon Tranche 5 are not kicked out.
Of F18 block 3 was just kicked out by the navy. And Gripen E was kicked out by the IAF in MMRCA as that was the version offered.

That doesn't solve our problem of depleting fighter numbers, does it?
Yes, there are two solutions,
  1. Buy off the self, coughing up huge amount of money. or
  2. Go for best available Russian engine and invest rest in R&D of indigenous engine.
Now, GOI to decide which one is most suitable.

First it was one lost soul IAF ACM that demanded 5th gen. tech's and that MRFA jets must be upgradeable to full 5th gen., and that all DRDO developed 5th gen. tech's must be compatible to MRFA jets [utter nonsensical imbecile requests]. Now, GoI wanting 100% ToT's and 100% manufacturing in India! IAF will be very FUCQKED in a few years when fleet strength falls to below 30 squadrons. And PAF is the 4th technically strongest and largest AF in the whole world; will be at 38 squadrons with majority 4.5 gen. fighter jets...
You keep changing your goal very often . First you said
PAF has 300 4.5 gen in 35 sqdns , which is an absurd figure. Your next absurd statement - PAF is the 4th largest airforce in the world . Can you provide any concrete proof for your statements ?

IAF ACM asked for that at the 1st launch of MMRCA2.0 - an article appeared here itself..
I had earlier asked you to provide proof for UGRAM Rifle trials done by army . You are yet to respond. You keep changing tracks like trains do. Stick to one view. Why do you sound so confused ?

Big words when our own project languishes in eternal delays. I have previously mentioned, I have no issues if the domestic DPSU can deliver the project as per specifications within time frame. Unfortunately, they have proven that they cant. Over and over they continue to miss deadlines with projects languishing in perpetual delays. In such a scenario they leave us with no choice but to rely on imported defense equipment.

Unfortunately when DPSU are incapable of meeting requirements on time, they dont really have right to complain if services scout for alternatives to fill capability void as they simply cant wait for decades to see the requested platform enter prototype testing and then subsequent production. Moreover till the time they enter service, the core avionics architecture around which its designed would have become obsolete.
@beencensured only called western weapons junk. Nothing more.

Your comment doesn't highlight quality of western weapons but very specifically targets DPSU's.

Makes clear even you are not interested in highlighting India's lack of progress as whole but only bash DPSU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinod raj
Back