India May Pay $161M for one Rafale-M jet, A 60% Increase from IAF's Rafale Procurement in 2016

Rafale-M-appontage.jpeg

India is poised to significantly bolster its naval aviation capabilities with the acquisition of 26 Rafale-M fighter jets from France. While the final price tag remains undisclosed, sources indicate a potential cost of $161 million (€146 million) per jet, marking a substantial increase from the $101 million (€91.7 million) paid for Rafale jets acquired by the Indian Air Force (IAF) in 2016.

This price difference is largely attributed to inflation adjustments over the past eight years.

The Rafale-M, a naval variant of Dassault Aviation's renowned Rafale fighter, is specifically designed for aircraft carrier operations. These advanced jets will be deployed on India's two aircraft carriers, INS Vikramaditya and the newly commissioned INS Vikrant, enhancing the Indian Navy's strike, air defence, and reconnaissance capabilities.

This procurement aligns with India's ongoing efforts to modernize its armed forces, evidenced by a series of high-value defence acquisitions over the past decade.

Notable deals include the 2018 purchase of the S-400 Triumf missile system from Russia for $5.43 billion, the 2015 acquisition of Apache and Chinook helicopters from the United States for $3 billion, and the 2020 procurement of MH-60R Seahawk helicopters, also from the U.S., for $2.6 billion.

The Rafale-M boasts impressive technical specifications, including a length of 15.27 meters, a wingspan of 10.9 meters, and a maximum takeoff weight of 24.5 tons. It is powered by two Snecma M88-2 turbofan engines, enabling high agility and power.

The aircraft is equipped with advanced avionics, such as the Thales RBE2 AESA radar and the SPECTRA electronic warfare system, ensuring superior situational awareness and protection against threats.

Its armament includes Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles, MICA short- and medium-range air-to-air missiles, Exocet AM39 anti-ship missiles, SCALP air-to-ground cruise missiles, and a 30mm GIAT 30 cannon.

The Rafale-M also has an operational range of approximately 1,850 kilometers, extendable through in-flight refueling.

Defence experts have welcomed the deal, emphasizing the Rafale-M's potential to provide India with a decisive advantage in the Indian Ocean region.

Admiral Karambir Singh, former Chief of Naval Staff, has stated that the Rafale-Ms will usher in a “new era of naval aviation,” while defence analyst Bharat Karnad has highlighted their range and weapons payload as crucial assets in the current geopolitical climate.

The acquisition of these advanced fighter jets is expected to significantly enhance India's naval air power, particularly as tensions rise in the Indo-Pacific region.

Then fund the deal, send a cheque for $10Bln to Navy to buy 24 jets.
Why don’t you give a 40 billion dollar check so that they can fund the R&D of your favorite Gripen and buy 26 of those? Because for Rafale GoI already has enough money as it’s the cheapest plane around and is so affordable.

Why don’t you give a 40 billion dollar check so that they can fund the R&D of your favorite Gripen and buy 26 of those? Because for Rafale GoI already has enough money as it’s the cheapest plane around and is so affordable.
I am not saying 4th gen Rafale’s cost $300Mln is cheaper, this is why I don’t want GOI to waste money for the soon obsolete tech, I would rather like GOI to invest on emerging technology.

GoI is doing that but defense is a long term game. Plus this government also wasted the first 5 years being fooled by DPSUs and DRDO. It is only Rajnath Singh who forced things through. Some big contracts are going to the private sector. Like C295, swarm drones, light tanks etc. But it takes time and MoD can’t ditch the DPSUs entirely due to political reasons. So only the additive orders are going to them while most of the DPSUs are keeping what they had earlier.
Not blaming the govt or psu's directly but unless we get the best people for the job ,nothing will change.

Best ppl for the job needs investment and lots of it.Governent should start some programme with best of the minds where salary of not a limiting factor.Unless that is done ,no amount of planning can bridge our huge gap in manufacturing.

Not blaming the govt or psu's directly but unless we get the best people for the job ,nothing will change.

Best ppl for the job needs investment and lots of it.Governent should start some programme with best of the minds where salary of not a limiting factor.Unless that is done ,no amount of planning can bridge our huge gap in manufacturing.
Can’t be done in the PSU setup bro. GoI should simply stay out of it and let the market forces do their job. Just provide money and orders.

Can’t be done in the PSU setup bro. GoI should simply stay out of it and let the market forces do their job. Just provide money and orders.
We sadly don't have any good base even in the private sector.

At best it will be a jv with tata or adani etc where things will be same.Nothing critical will be produced.

My argument is some.sort of special programme for critical technologies involving private players and maybe top universities.But funding has to be given by the government only.Once anything materialises,it should be transferred to the private players for production.

Only a powerful non coalition government can do it but sadly there is no fucus.

Rafale beat F18 in price. And you think F35 will be cheaper than F18? 😂😂😂
Dealing with Americans is not wise for such systems.Too many tantrums.
I even think f-404 and 414 were a mistake looking at delays.Could have just used a slightly inferior RD 33mk

I am not saying 4th gen Rafale’s cost $300Mln is cheaper, this is why I don’t want GOI to waste money for the soon obsolete tech, I would rather like GOI to invest on emerging technology.
I know I know. You want us to invest in your Su75 so that you can waste our money and give it to CCP. No thanks.

Dealing with Americans is not wise for such systems.Too many tantrums.
I even think f-404 and 414 were a mistake looking at delays.Could have just used a slightly inferior RD 33mk
Russian systems are even worse. Look at Vikramaditya or Ka226 or other deals with them.

We sadly don't have any good base even in the private sector.

At best it will be a jv with tata or adani etc where things will be same.Nothing critical will be produced.

My argument is some.sort of special programme for critical technologies involving private players and maybe top universities.But funding has to be given by the government only.Once anything materialises,it should be transferred to the private players for production.

Only a powerful non coalition government can do it but sadly there is no fucus.
Agreed. My point is that hiring such top talent within the PSU setup is not possible. But if you give incentives to the private sector they will get it done for you. It will take a bit of time, but it will get done. And much faster than these PSU or DPSUs.

who said export now, i have 100 times commented If Dassault wins MRFA which is most Likely Then will establish Production Line with eco-system & with that plant they Export Rafale From Bharat .Nagpur plant DRAL most likey
What Indian Defence industry will gain if dassault will own the factory and all the technology ?

"The latest deal struck for the last contract—for lots 15 through 17—had put the average flyaway cost of the Air Force's F-35A variant at $82.5 million."

Lockheed Martin 5th generation fighter bare bones one comes for $82.5 millions whereas 4+ generation Rafale fighter is quoted as $160 millions per fighter.
The price quoted is almost double of a 5th generation fighter.

Rafale has more orders and its R&D is paid off long time ago and its bare bone price should be less than what India paid for original 36 Rafales.

The adding up of inflation costs from long ago 36 Rafale deal is untenable completely and ridiculous at minimum.

F35A price fell drastically to $82.5 millions from over $100+ millions over time as R&D and infra costs paid off.
Rafale bare bones costs should also fall as they also built hundreds of them and still have about 300 backlog.

There is just no logic behind inflation calculations at all.

I am no expert in this field and i understand it is completely out of topic context, but just thinking, why not purchase a single engine that IAF like to use, bring bunch of technical experts together and reverse engineer the engine by dessembling the engine, understand the technical aspects of how it is built, then assemble it back. Now that you have understanding on how engine is built, create a mini prototype of it, test it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranv
Back