India-Russia BrahMos-2 Missile Project Stalls Over ToT and Doubled Scramjet Engine Price

Brahmos-II.jpg

NEW DELHI - The ambitious BrahMos-2 hypersonic cruise missile program, a joint venture between India's BrahMos Corporation and Russia, is facing significant challenges that could jeopardize its development. Talks between the two nations have reportedly stalled due to technical disagreements and financial concerns.

The BrahMos-2, envisioned as a hypersonic adaptation of Russia's Zircon cruise missile, was initially designed to achieve Mach 8 speed. However, due to export control concerns, the speed was reportedly capped at Mach 6.

A major point of contention revolves around the scramjet engine technology, crucial for propelling the BrahMos-2 to hypersonic speeds. Russia's reluctance to share the Transfer of Technology (ToT) for this critical component has become a significant roadblock in the project's progress.

Furthermore, Russia's demands for a higher price due to the advanced nature of the scramjet engine have raised concerns about the project's financial viability. Reports suggest that the cost per unit for the BrahMos-2 could be double that of the current BrahMos missile.

The BrahMos-2, designed as a manoeuvrable anti-ship hypersonic cruise missile with a range of 500-1000 kilometers, was expected to significantly enhance India's maritime defense capabilities. However, the current impasse raises doubts about the project's timeline and ultimate success.

The future of the BrahMos-2 program now hinges on India and Russia's ability to overcome these technical and financial hurdles. If they cannot reach a mutually agreeable solution, India may need to explore alternative hypersonic technologies to meet its defense requirements.

Brahmos is a company with Russian shareholding. But GoI has so far not shown any interest in their project. So Brahmos as a company needs it because Russia as a country wants to sell it and begging us to buy it. But India as a country has no interest in it.
Price is the stumbling block. We need it and we want it.

Co-development ? Its a joke. Brahmos is just the vehicle to buy technology from Russia and adapt it using Indian suppliers to lower costs. Right from beginning, India has no contribution. Its Yakhont technology that has been adapted for manufacturing in India. We could not even increase the range till the Russians gace it to us. So, for hypersonic Brahmos, it will be pipedream for India till we actually buy it from Russia under the Brahmos vehicle.
Partly correct to the extent that we depend on Russia and we bought the tech from them. India has done a good job in our work share in Brahmos JV and it has been increasing continuously. Except for ramjet engine, mostly everything is Indian. In coming months, even fuels for engine is going to be indigenous.

I think India has the knowledge and capability in developing its own hypersonic missiles. The danger of developing Brahmos 2 is that they will only be capable of delivering it from Russian jets. France won’t allow us to use it on their jets.

The key plan is to reduce dependence on foreign technology and weapons which costs a lot more money. We can develop our own hypersonic missiles with the private sector which can bring in talent, knowledge, experience and the government’s resources and facilities.

Actually it’s the opposite bro.

Brahmos chairman for a long time has been saying that the missile will be ready 4 years after GoI gives its go ahead. That means that permissions from the Russian government are already in place, at least verbally.

But GoI simply hasn’t given the go ahead so far.

This shows that GoI is not ready to buy it while Russia is begging to sell it.
Price is the stumbling block else it would have happened 2.5 years back. Russians are not very keen to lower the price even though they are in very bad shape geopolitically. After Ukraine war, China factor is another issue.

If we get the tech at the right price, great. Otherwise, we are developing something similar and in a way it will push us to get there.

Brahmos chairman for a long time has been saying that the missile will be ready 4 years after GoI gives its go ahead. That means that permissions from the Russian government are already in place, at least verbally.

Really? For a very long time have been telling that Russia will not give the hypersonic tech even when the Brahmos management was harping the russians will give it. GOI is not involved in it till the actual TOT starts. So dont go & make GOI responsible. Brahmos management is responsible for being so unrealistic.

I have been saying for a fair while now that our dependence on Russia is approaching it's end. Russia simply doesn't want to commit to the BrahMos II development effort since they very well know that the missile would be aimed at China and Bhikaristan, and because they aren't particularly happy with India's strategic autonomy either.

Seriously, at thus point, we have a fair bit of institutional know-how when it comes to missile design. There are also reports of that new engine for the BrahMos I which has the potential to increase its speed beyond Mach 4. High time we build on that and lessons from RudraM-III and other missiles and get a hypersonic missile of their own.
Brother , it is not about friendship.. Noone will give its Core technology for free or at low cost... Not even India..

If I am millionaire and has resources and my friend ask me buy my business for 50% discount, why would I give ? Even if he is my dearest, he has to pay full amount + royalty , because I have made it successful with my my efforts and resources

Really? For a very long time have been telling that Russia will not give the hypersonic tech even when the Brahmos management was harping the russians will give it. GOI is not involved in it till the actual TOT starts. So dont go & make GOI responsible. Brahmos management is responsible for being so unrealistic.
Bro, read Brahmos’ CEO’s own comment. He has clearly said that the missile can be developed within 4 years after GoI gives its approval. So the only condition is GoI’s approval. This clearly shows that it is GoI which doesn’t want this missile. And mind you, Brahmos is headed by officers from MoD. So MoD has directly given this statement. This is as clear a proof as one can have.

Nope. The tech is useless and Russian claims are way off the mark.

GoI simply doesn’t want it. That’s the only thing that can be said with proof. Rest is all speculation.

Price is the stumbling block else it would have happened 2.5 years back. Russians are not very keen to lower the price even though they are in very bad shape geopolitically. After Ukraine war, China factor is another issue.

If we get the tech at the right price, great. Otherwise, we are developing something similar and in a way it will push us to get there.
There is no proof to back your claim. The only thing that can be said safely is that GoI isn’t interested. My personal view is that the tech is not up to the mark.

Who is developing SFDR engine?. What is the status after 2022 test?
DRDO has stopped posting update of missile test , 1 year back...

All news comes from ANI now, I don't know if they are asked to do it by GOI or something else..

Regarding Astra Mk-3 it is a complex tech , It will be inducted in next decade or by 2029.. SFDR was successfully tested in 2022 , then making a missile on it is different task... Then it comes to fabrication of some units for tests , it takes few months 4-6 for just fabrication of units...

Just reverse engineer the scramjet engine used in Brahmos missile and develop then refine the technology for Brahmos 2. Its best to master this vital technology so as to become a major arms exporter and self reliant in defense.

And also selfishness, this is Russia’s priced tech, will they give away that easily when GOI is not buying much from them nowadays.

They want co-development just like SU30. India is not investing anymore in Russian projects. Hence they will extract the pound of flesh from the hypersonic missile. Nothing wrong. I support them
They have every right to do that, why would they give away their hard learned tech to somebody who is like a chameleon and untrustworthy, they won’t offer anything anymore unless there is a reciprocatory effort from GOI in buying their products.

Overpriced AF. they know how to arma twist us
Look at the history of purchase we have done with em & the profits they've made from us. Using us

Like how India refused to buy one more Rafale than the 36 even after Macron, begged, cried and pleaded to buy more than hundred times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shailesh Ghanshyam Chaudhari
Back