Indian Army Favors American Stryker Over Indigenous WhAP 8×8 in Armored Vehicle Program

220324STRYKERphoto01.JPG

The Indian Army's evaluation of contenders for its 8×8 wheeled armored vehicle program has reportedly hit a roadblock, with sources suggesting a preference for the American Stryker over local offerings, including DRDO's WhAP 8×8. The Army reportedly considers the Stryker a more robust and mature platform compared to indigenous alternatives, citing superior design and protection.

This development contradicts DRDO's claims, which previously positioned their WhAP 8×8 as superior to the Stryker, Fuchs 2, and Piranha 3 based on a comparison chart. However, the Army's assessment seems to prioritize real-world performance over theoretical specifications.

GNIcvYaWYAAIw8k.jpg

In response to the Army's preference, discussions are underway between the US and India to explore a co-development program for a customized Stryker M1135 variant tailored to meet Indian requirements.

This setback for DRDO's WhAP 8×8 could potentially hinder India's efforts toward self-reliance in defense manufacturing. While the WhAP may have shown theoretical advantages, the Army's practical assessment highlights the importance of proven performance in the field.

The future of India's 8×8 program remains uncertain, with the final decision likely to have a significant impact on both the Army's capabilities and the country's pursuit of indigenous defense solutions.

It seems some generals and chandigarh lobby work. I am sure even if there are gaps then those can be fixed easily.They takes years in trial and then reject products.this way no one will come forward to support army.sorry to say but this requires inquiry and firing of some top level folks across drdo and army.there should be some accountability.
Exactly. Clearly DRDO messed up the design on purpose.

$4.9 millions per each Stryker.
Too expensive for Indian budgets so go with every imaginable Indian Private and Public products and keep improving them.
Not worth it as they are also getting destroyed in Ukraine.

Read the article. These are comparative trials and WhAP failed.
Which para ??
When did Stryker arrive to compete with WhAP ?

I was talking about nuanced trial parameters akin to MMRCA 1.0 set by DG Mechanised and/or DG Armoured. The pictorial table is a compilation of open source details from Wikipedia at worst. They didn't even try their hands on CRS, CBO, GAO, OST&E, GDLS, things would have been crystal clear.

Am i the only one smelling corruption
The fact the army never evaluated the stryker is more revealing as it's incompatible with high altitudes having low power engines. Army make evaluation based on advertisement and again s#1ted on everything local no matter how much better. They want a new more powerful engine. Army is destroying the Indian brand by its desire for over priced foreign Canadian terrorist junk.

Can some one is paid for; Stryker is not a good platform look at its performance in Ukriane WAR. It is not to be purchased; bad Idea. IS someone in Army paid off?

Israel rejected those "Stryker's" notions in the past and designed a "Eitan". Vehicle did not meet the insurance requirements. Еven with the modul Rafael Samson... ( in the photo.) Regards and have a good week!

Which para ??
When did Stryker arrive to compete with WhAP ?

I was talking about nuanced trial parameters akin to MMRCA 1.0 set by DG Mechanised and/or DG Armoured. The pictorial table is a compilation of open source details from Wikipedia at worst. They didn't even try their hands on CRS, CBO, GAO, OST&E, GDLS, things would have been crystal clear.
The chart is what is presented by DRDO (as per the article). Read last line of 4th para. It clearly says Army assessed them and found Striker to be better in real world performance.

Having said that, this is an article based on unnamed sources so I personally won’t give much heft to it. But it lines perfectly with what many other articles as well as official sources have said.

I think both will be bought in good numbers. Army has little trust on drdo so they don't want to put all the eggs in 1 basket. On papaer Whap looks great except protection seems low compared to Stryker but Whap is amphibious unlike stryker.

Perhaps another ATAGS or Kaveri. Whether On purpose I don't know
Oh it is exactly on purpose. Otherwise how is it even possible that they designed ATAGS with a weight that no current truck in the army could tow it? Army’s tender clearly stated that the gun should be compatible with the existing GTVs. It’s crystal clear that DRDO sabotaged it on purpose.

If the performance difference is not much why not go for our product? We can improve it later on. Atmanirbhar Bharat is the way.

The chart is what is presented by DRDO (as per the article). Read last line of 4th para. It clearly says Army assessed them and found Striker to be better in real world performance.

Having said that, this is an article based on unnamed sources so I personally won’t give much heft to it. But it lines perfectly with what many other articles as well as official sources have said.
The chart is from one of DRDO Newsletters and is more for promotional intent & self-rationalisation.

Army hasn't assessed Stryker at elemental level i.e. in Indian terrain & climatic conditions. When COAS Manoj Pande visited USA in Feb'2024, he was given a presentation & demonstration of Stryker at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shailesh Ghanshyam Chaudhari
Back