India's 50 Warships at Various Stages of Construction, 12 to be Delivered in a Year

GU8dw26awAAiniZ

The Indian Navy is poised for a significant expansion with 50 warships currently under construction, out of a total of 66 contracted. These vessels, ranging from early fabrication stages to those nearing sea trials, are being built across six Indian shipyards and two in Russia.

Representing a combined tonnage of over 200,000 tons and a value exceeding 1.1 lakh crore INR ($13 billion), this undertaking showcases India's commitment to bolstering its maritime capabilities.

Notably, 12 of these warships are expected to be delivered within the next 12 months, including a destroyer, five frigates, a submarine, two corvettes, and three survey vessels.

Destroyers​

INS Surat & INS Visakhapatnam (Dec 2024): The final Visakhapatnam-class destroyers will significantly enhance the Navy's surface fleet with their advanced missile systems and operational versatility. INS Visakhapatnam, the lead ship of this class, is armed with state-of-the-art weaponry, including BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles and Barak-8 surface-to-air missiles.

Frigates​

INS Tamala (Feb 2025): This Talwar-class frigate will provide added strength and flexibility to the surface fleet.

INS Nilgiri (Dec 2024), INS Udaygiri (Mar 2025), & INS Himgiri (Aug 2025): These Project 17A stealth frigates boast advanced technologies and weaponry to bolster the Navy's anti-submarine warfare, air defense, and surface warfare capabilities.

INS Tushil (Sept 2024): Another Talwar-class frigate equipped with modern weapons and sensors.
Submarines:

INS Vagsheer (Dec 2024):
The final Kalvari-class submarine will enhance underwater warfare capabilities with its stealth and anti-surface/anti-submarine warfare features.

Corvettes​

INS Mahe (Aug 2025) & INS Arnala (Nov 2024): These Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft are designed for coastal anti-submarine operations, bolstering the Navy's coastal defense.

Survey Vessels​

INS Sanshodhak (Jun 2025), INS Nirdeshak (Aug 2024), & INS Ikshak (Mar 2025): These Sandhayak-class vessels will support maritime research, hydrographic surveys, and safe navigation.

This naval expansion reflects India's aspiration to be a net security provider in the Indian Ocean Region. To support this vision, the Ministry of Defence has doubled the navy's capital budget in recent years.

The Indian Navy aims to increase its fleet size to around 175 ships, including aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates, submarines, and corvettes. It is also focusing on enhancing its indigenous capabilities in weapons and technology development.

With 12 warships expected to be delivered within the next 12 months, the Indian Navy is on track to achieve its expansion goals and strengthen its presence in the maritime domain.

Last edited:
Yeah... not happening. Firstly, Visakhapatnam has already been in service since late 2021, so I have no idea what sort of proofreading (or lack thereof) has been done here.

A more reasonable timeline is:

Destroyer:

1. Surat: February or March 2025.

Frigates:
2. Tushil: October or November 2024.
3. Tamala: April or May 2025.
4. Nilgiri: May 2025.
5. Himgiri: Q3 FY26.
6. Udaygiri: Q4 FY26 or Q1 FY27.

Corvettes:
7. Arnala: February or March 2025.
8. Androth: August or September 2025.
9. Mahe: Q2 or Q3 FY26.

Diesel-electric attack submarine:
10. Vagsheer: December 2024 or January 2025.

Survey vessels:
11. Nirdeshak: December 2024 or January 2025.
12. Ikshak: Q2 FY26.
13. Sanshodhak: Q4 FY26 or Q1 FY27.

Therefore, in the next 12 months, we can expect to receive between 9 or 10 ships (including 1 or 2 auxiliaries), not 12 warships.

Other possible additions in the 12 months following that would be:

Frigates:
14. Dunagiri: Q2 or Q3 FY27.
15. Taragiri: Q3 or Q4 FY27.

Corvettes:
16. Anjadip: Q3 FY26.
17. Amini: Q3 FY26.
18. Agray: Q1 or Q2 FY27.
19. Akshay: Q1 or Q2 FY27.

Nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine:
20. Aridhaman: Q2 or Q3 FY27.

Title should have been said next 24 months, not 12 months.
To be fair, if we expand the horizon to 24 months, we can add another 3-4 corvettes, and 1-2 more frigates to the aforementioned 12 ships. Maybe even a SSBN.

Wow, Indian Navy and its Warship Design Bureau, Congratulations on such a great planning and execution.
Very heartening news, Indian Navy takes charge of all its warships and submarines programs of all kinds.
Way to go!!!

Some good news in the midst of a lot of empty and fake promises....... Credit is due to the Indian Navy.

3 cheers for IN👍👍8 or 10 or 12 ships to be received does not matter. Important is IN's proactive planning & effective implementation. IN must rub some professionalism on IA & IAF in procurement perspective.

Yeah... not happening. Firstly, Visakhapatnam has already been in service since late 2021, so I have no idea what sort of proofreading (or lack thereof) has been done here.

A more reasonable timeline is:

Destroyer:

1. Surat: February or March 2025.

Frigates:
2. Tushil: October or November 2024.
3. Tamala: April or May 2025.
4. Nilgiri: May 2025.
5. Himgiri: Q3 FY26.
6. Udaygiri: Q4 FY26 or Q1 FY27.

Corvettes:
7. Arnala: February or March 2025.
8. Androth: August or September 2025.
9. Mahe: Q2 or Q3 FY26.

Diesel-electric attack submarine:
10. Vagsheer: December 2024 or January 2025.

Survey vessels:
11. Nirdeshak: December 2024 or January 2025.
12. Ikshak: Q2 FY26.
13. Sanshodhak: Q4 FY26 or Q1 FY27.

Therefore, in the next 12 months, we can expect to receive between 9 or 10 ships (including 1 or 2 auxiliaries), not 12 warships.

Other possible additions in the 12 months following that would be:

Frigates:
14. Dunagiri: Q2 or Q3 FY27.
15. Taragiri: Q3 or Q4 FY27.

Corvettes:
16. Anjadip: Q3 FY26.
17. Amini: Q3 FY26.
18. Agray: Q1 or Q2 FY27.
19. Akshay: Q1 or Q2 FY27.

Nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine:
20. Aridhaman: Q2 or Q3 FY27.
Don't worry @Anant, some information about these programs is better than nothing but I wish you can add a type like Frigate, Destroyer, Corvette, OPV, etc so people like us understand and remember.

I add INS Aridhamman going to full basin/sea trials by end of 2025 or beginning of 2026.

Don't worry @Anant, some information about these programs is better than nothing but I wish you can add a type like Frigate, Destroyer, Corvette, OPV, etc so people like us understand and remember.

I add INS Aridhamman going to full basin/sea trials by end of 2025 or beginning of 2026.
My apologies. I am doing that now.

Current around 50+ warships are being constructed in different phases of construction. Some are near sea trails and some are just starting. So it's not a typo, it's 12 months.

Ins Vishakapatnam last month was on Indian ocean Diego Gracia had naval exercise with Carrier Strike Group 9 of US navy with Us Marines onboard !!!
It need to be commissioned again ???

It’s great that we will get a good number of ships into active service as they are needed. Now we need to focus more on developing the next generation corvette, frigates, destroyers, nuclear submarines, diesel submarines, underwater drones or swarm drones, fast patrol boats, coast guard ships etc. We have ordered a lot of ships but there is a backlog that’s building up on the large orders placed and our requirements and needs.

Of those 50-off ships, the best case scenario is to have around 10 ships in the next 12 months, another 8 or so in the 12 months following that, then anything between 8 and 14 in the year following that, and so on.

My apologies. I am doing that now.
No need to apologize at all.
Just thought it will be helpful to some of us.

Another thing, India needs to order more MH60R Romeo ASW helicopters for all these Frigates and Destroyers and ASW Corvettes.
I think India should get a license to produce them in India with whatever TOT they may throw in until we develop our own alternative helicopter for those missions.

The crash of ALH/Dhruv makes me feel that we are far away from that accomplishment.

I wish Indian Navy and its Warship Design Bureau has started on some form of Mine Counter Measures Vehicles (MCMVs) projects as we do not have any of them.

The Minesweepers very important for the safety of warships in harbor and in seas, especially around Indo-Pak Sea border areas.

South Korea like France weaseled out of L1 bidder status by refusing to do any TOTs at all after 4+ years of negotiations.

To be fair, if we expand the horizon to 24 months, we can add another 3-4 corvettes, and 1-2 more frigates to the aforementioned 12 ships. Maybe even a SSBN.
Congratulations to India! However, India still has too few aircraft carriers, which is not in line with its superpower status. India needs at least 10 aircraft carrier battle groups.

Good news on developments on ship building but who is counting costs and delivery? Are ship building quality ships and not over charging? Are we also producing ammunition for these ships plus engines to drive? Lots of unknowns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAJAN SAROHA
Back