India's Mirage 2000-5 Saga: A Missed Opportunity and Long-Term Cost Implications

Even if India bought Mirage 2000-5s at $73 to 80 millions per fighter even in early 2000s is a dyalight robbery without any TOT at all.
France/Dassault prices are awful in olden days and egregious in these days.

France/Dassault/Safran are sitting prettily on high mantle and having fun knowing very well that India and its IAF will shell out whatever their asking prices as there are no other alternatives for India.

If only we can develop Tejas Mk2 at WARP SPEED then whole world would be taken aback for sure.
ADA/DRDO/HAL can do it with some meaningful reforms in their organizations.

Go with home grown fighters using GE F-414 engines.
Rafales is one of he reasons why MK2 and AMCA got systematically delayed. Now, MK2 will take atleast 10 years and AMCA not less than 15 years to complete development, certifications and user trials.

Rafales is one of he reasons why MK2 and AMCA got systematically delayed. Now, MK2 will take atleast 10 years and AMCA not less than 15 years to complete development, certifications and user trials.
We have enough time, all we need to do is Super SU-30 upgrade in WARP speed, everything else will follow.

How much funding overall for Kaveri?
As much as was asked for. If GTRE says 1000, they gave 1000. When they came back and said another 4000, they gave that. So they gave as much as the developer asked for and kept increasing it. They in fact gave so much that at the end the developer couldn't even utilize it all.

GoI and MoD surely delayed.
Tejas Mk2 should have been approved as soon as Tejas I achieved its FOC.
Tejas Mk2 can go into production in about 5 years as I think they learned a lot with Tejas I and will apply that knowledge to Tejas Mk2 to make it a shorter go.

I don't think there is anything possible to improvement of the bureaucracy approach to national issues but I fear of getting the situation worsened

Now economy is strong enough to buy and make 100 Rafale-F5 and 26 Rafale-M under MRFA better we make fighter without French Missiles and arm Rafale F-5 with Indian BVRAAMs ! One openion is that Rafales are costly special purpose fighter can't be used for war wastage better we make single engine fighter F-21+ F-36 here in India jointly with Lockheed martin !
may be for France, not for India, if France sells 382 300 Mln/ jet, their economy will be Super, but if we spend $45-$50Bln to buy 114 Rafale F5, we will be broke and bankrupt.

Kaveri without outside help will not fly. The cost $3 billion. Instead go with GE and build GE414 engine.

As much as was asked for. If GTRE says 1000, they gave 1000. When they came back and said another 4000, they gave that. So they gave as much as the developer asked for and kept increasing it. They in fact gave so much that at the end the developer couldn't even utilize it all.
Total funding till 2021 was 2100 crore yarr, and commited but not released was ₹2900 crore. ₹4000 crore kaha se aa gaye?

Assuming you are talking in "Hazar Crore. "

Any idea, how much has China spent on developing jet engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sreekumar
Back