India's Su-30MKI To Get Stealthier with Radar-Absorbing Paint

India's Su-30MKI To Get Stealthier with Radar-Absorbing Paint

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is embarking on a comprehensive upgrade program for its backbone fighter, the formidable Su-30MKI.

This extensive modernization effort, a collaboration between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the IAF, and private industry, seeks to bolster the capabilities of the IAF's workhorse multirole fighter.

The Challenge of Radar Visibility​

A key focus of this upgrade initiative is addressing the Su-30MKI's radar signature.

While a powerful and versatile aircraft, its substantial size (approximately 30 tons) results in a relatively large Radar Cross-Section (RCS). This means the Su-30MKI is more easily detectable by enemy long-range radars, potentially hindering its effectiveness in highly contested battlespaces where stealth is critical.

India's Innovative Solution: Radar Absorbing Paint​

In response, India's Defence Laboratory, Jodhpur, has developed a technologically advanced solution – polyurethane-based Radar Absorbing Material (RAM) paint.

This specialized paint incorporates magnetic functional fillers embedded within a polyurethane resin system. The combination offers multiple advantages:
  • Superior Endurance: The polyurethane resin ensures the paint can withstand harsh weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold, maintaining its effectiveness over time.
  • Optimized Absorption: The magnetic fillers are engineered with precise sizes and shapes to maximize the absorption of radar waves.
  • Versatile Applications: This RAM paint is designed for use not only on the Su-30MKI, but also on other airborne platforms and even ground-based strategic assets.

Benefits for the Super-30​

Though it will not render the Su-30MKI a true stealth fighter, RAM paint will considerably reduce its radar signature. This means enemy radars will have a more difficult time detecting the aircraft and will only be able to do so from shorter distances.

Strategic application of RAM paint on high-RCS areas of the Su-30MKI, such as air intakes and leading edges, promises greater survivability in modern combat environments.

Coupled with other elements of the Super-30 upgrade program, this RCS reduction measure will help keep the IAF's fighter fleet a potent and relevant force well into the future.

With large canards, I am not certain how much of an effect the RCS reducing paint would have on the airplane.
I guess the IAF would want to instead bet on installing AESA Radar instead of the PESA ones that Su-30 MKIs come with.

I have read that the real bottleneck with AESA is that the AL-31 engines do not generate enough energy to power AESA radars and it may require that AL-31 be replaced with AL-41 engines during the upgrade. But looks like IAF is not keen on the engine upgrade and go with the AL-31 engines.

I hope this type of paint may lack in other 4.75 Gen Fighters they might either import or take help of western countries.Most important is GaN based AESA Radar for Super Sukhoi with 1800 to 2400 TRM with bigger nose cone

With large canards, I am not certain how much of an effect the RCS reducing paint would have on the airplane.
I guess the IAF would want to instead bet on installing AESA Radar instead of the PESA ones that Su-30 MKIs come with.

I have read that the real bottleneck with AESA is that the AL-31 engines do not generate enough energy to power AESA radars and it may require that AL-31 be replaced with AL-41 engines during the upgrade. But looks like IAF is not keen on the engine upgrade and go with the AL-31 engines.
yeah IAF should think about AL-41 Engines Not only for AESA Radars But to carry more weapons. Hypersonic missile. and other weapons.

I hope this type of paint may lack in other 4.75 Gen Fighters they might either import or take help of western countries.Most important is GaN based AESA Radar for Super Sukhoi with 1800 to 2400 TRM with bigger nose cone
Larger radars with more T/R modules require a very powerful Aux Power Unit (APU), which again requires more powerful engines. With the current engines, it wont be possible to create a radar with so many T/R modules and to cool it as well. Unless DRDO/ASTRA Microwave somehow manages to make a breakthrough in economically fabricating GAN modules, at least initially we would probably see GAAS AESA radar with about 1700-1800 modules, which though not exceptional would offer a marked improvement in performance over the now obsolete BARS PESA.

RAM paint will be a great addition in reducing RCS of Super Sukhois.

IAF mastered the AL-31F engine technology as much as possible during the last quarter century.
It also introduced some of its own and improved components to reduce the dependence on Russia.

AL-31F will be adequate for Uttam derived GaA AESA radar and when GaN AESA radar comes out it will require even less power consumption.
So most important thing is to fast track installation of all Indian subsystems ASAP and get ready for two wars.

Getting AL-41-1F-1C will be very difficult under increasing sanctions on Russia.

Gallium Arsenide require less power consumption, though I m in favour of engine replacement due to EDWs.

This RAM sounds amazing. It usually has drawback that it easily weathers off after sorties and has to be reapplied again and again whicj becomes quite expensive.
This was problem in older stealth platforms like F22 and B2, but I think this issue has been mostly solved for newer stealth platforms like F35 and our RAM.

I hate this name super 30. Super sukhoi is much better.

Super 30 is the name of a coaching centre for IIT and Medical in bihar for poor kids.

Larger radars with more T/R modules require a very powerful Aux Power Unit (APU), which again requires more powerful engines. With the current engines, it wont be possible to create a radar with so many T/R modules and to cool it as well. Unless DRDO/ASTRA Microwave somehow manages to make a breakthrough in economically fabricating GAN modules, at least initially we would probably see GAAS AESA radar with about 1700-1800 modules, which though not exceptional would offer a marked improvement in performance over the now obsolete BARS PESA.
Cant we just slap on a Lion battery, to power this radar, sort of like a plug in Hybrid vehicle. Lion batteries have become very advanced and power dense today.

RCS sure will be reduced, question is how significant it will be....... We shall concentrate more on developing Su30 into a growler.

If it is so promising better to buy another 100 more in place of Rafale to cost.after all quantity has quality

Su- 30mk1 needs a better air to air missiles to catch Pakistani planes unaware. AESA and PESA comes later.

But they proposing GaN based radars.
GAN based modules have least power consumption but its exceptionally complicated with respect to electronics architecture and fabrication. Its especially a major challenge to fabricate it economically, but the benefits accrued in return are real. GAN AESA modules provide a performance boost of as much as 10 times higher than GAAS and for same power have the ability to scan at much higher distances and with far greater clarity.

However on flip side, they are super complex and expensive to fabricate and cost a lot just to manufacture them.

Cant we just slap on a Lion battery, to power this radar, sort of like a plug in Hybrid vehicle. Lion batteries have become very advanced and power dense today.
Batteries are typically not used when persistent power supply is required throughout the mission. Thats why even jammers make use of RAM turbines to generate power and not battery source as it can quickly run out of juice.

Batteries are typically not used when persistent power supply is required throughout the mission. Thats why even jammers make use of RAM turbines to generate power and not battery source as it can quickly run out of juice.
I am not knowledgable in this matter. I thought that the jet can take off with charged battery, and the lower capacity engine could charge the battery as it depletes. Since you pointed out the higher power requirement of modern radars that cant be met by older engines, the battery will continually get depleted, but its rate will be much lower since the engine will keep supplying with some amount of charging. Sort of like regenrative braking in hybrid cars.

To me it seems like engineerimg a battery like this would be much easier with today's tech than engineering a new radar that can run on lower power.

A DRDO lab has made that paint that will be applied on the body of the aircraft and has shown good results upto 70% reduction. Not that only a different paint for the Nose cone for Radar is under testing..

After SU-30MKI , this paint will be applied on other jets too but I guess that such paint are costly, I read somewhere in case of F-35..

I am not knowledgable in this matter. I thought that the jet can take off with charged battery, and the lower capacity engine could charge the battery as it depletes. Since you pointed out the higher power requirement of modern radars that cant be met by older engines, the battery will continually get depleted, but its rate will be much lower since the engine will keep supplying with some amount of charging. Sort of like regenrative braking in hybrid cars.

To me it seems like engineerimg a battery like this would be much easier with today's tech than engineering a new radar that can run on lower power.
Usually a APU generator would be driven by engines which would supply onboard power. We are dealing with several hundred Kilowatts of power supply. Using Li-Ion batteries here will require dedicated circuit breakers and a power management system. Even when u have regenerative braking, u still require a APU to generate power any way, which only increases cabling and the overall weight. On an aircraft adding more weight is absolute no no.

Su- 30mk1 needs a better air to air missiles to catch Pakistani planes unaware. AESA and PESA comes later.
Without a potent AESA Radar how are we supposed to lock the planes at the first place?
PESA Radars get jammed by DRFM EW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back