India's Tejas MkII On Track for 2026 Rollout, First Flight Expected in 2027

India's Tejas MkII On Track for 2026 Rollout, First Flight Expected in 2027

India's ambitious indigenous fighter jet program, the Tejas MkII, is making headway towards its anticipated maiden flight.

While component acquisition and preparation are underway, full-scale assembly of the advanced aircraft is forecast to begin in mid-2025, leading to a potential prototype rollout in early 2026.

Component Sourcing and Assembly Timeline​

The Tejas MkII project involves complex coordination of domestic and international partnerships. Key components such as Long-Range Replaceable Units (LRUs) are being sourced from various suppliers, showcasing the project's global supply chain.

While this international collaboration offers access to cutting-edge technology, the procurement process for certain domestically manufactured components, specifically some fuselage parts, has experienced delays. These essential elements are now expected in late 2024 or early 2025.

Despite minor setbacks, the overall assembly process remains on schedule.

The assembly jig, a fundamental framework for aircraft construction, will be established later this year. This vital milestone will pave the way for initial assembly stages, but full-scale activity is projected to commence around mid-2025.

Prototype Rollout and First Flight Projections​

The Tejas MkII prototype's official unveiling, or rollout, is tentatively scheduled for early 2026. This highly anticipated event will signal a significant step in the project's evolution. However, pinpointing an exact rollout date depends on the timely arrival of parts with extended manufacturing lead times.

The Tejas MkII's first flight, a landmark moment, is currently estimated for 2027. This deliberate timeline underscores the intricate testing, integration, and calibration required of all aircraft systems to ensure safety and optimal performance.

Significance of the Tejas MkII​

The Tejas MkII represents a cornerstone in India's drive for self-reliance in defense technology.

This 4.5 generation fighter boasts enhancements over its predecessor, including a more powerful engine, advanced avionics, and an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar.

These upgrades position the Tejas MkII to serve as a backbone of the Indian Air Force, gradually replacing older fleets like the Jaguar, MiG-29, and Mirage-2000.

Conclusion​

The Tejas MkII development is a complex endeavor with substantial implications for India's aerospace industry and national defense.

While hurdles and adjusted timelines are inherent in projects of this magnitude, the overall trajectory signifies steady progress toward the fighter's rollout and eventual integration into the Indian Air Force.

Jo Kam 20 tak har hal me hojana tha 27 me kar rhe hn ....
China tab tak 800 J10 bna lega...
Koi match hi nahi h performance me
Dushman bhut Ange h aur ye so rhe hn

HAL actually having Three projects at a Time Tejas MK1A , Tejas MK2 prototype & AMCA . Hope First Flight will b in 2026.

when did Tejas MK2 got Funds approval ..........???
On September 1, 2022, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) cleared ₹10,000 crore for Tejas Mark 2 that includes prototype development and flight testing. The cost of fighter jet development will take ₹6,500 crore in addition to ₹2,500 crore sanctioned previously through internal funding.

Let HAL actually deliver instead of just focussing on a narrative...There is a lot riding on Tejas-Mk2, AMCA and TEDBF

So India is marching on the aircraft manufacturing. now the 2nd indigenous aircraft is ready. ADA/DRDO/HAL should focus on ejection seat, Rodome, and engine to increase the indigenous content along with other items.

Let HAL actually deliver instead of just focussing on a narrative...There is a lot riding on Tejas-Mk2, AMCA and TEDBF
the Money was released by the MoD only in 2022. The program was progressing only on I=internal HAL funds. And the benchmark for indigenisation was increased around that time, That is what led to delay in rollout, first flight etc, as indigenous versions of foreign components had to be developed.

The procurement process of Indian defence sector is still so bad because of the push for indigenisation. This is a very recent phenomena. 10 years ago, we used to buy everything from abroad, most of it from russia, so process was pretty simple.

The recent reforms that have happened, and the roadmaps for indigenisation and domestic procurement that have been created, will need time to set in and function properly. Unfortunately India started too late in this journey. If we had started on this indigenisation journey, 10 years sooner.....

IAF, HAL, MoD, DAC, DRDO all need to work together and be on same page, which is easier said than done.

Jo Kam 20 tak har hal me hojana tha 27 me kar rhe hn ....
China tab tak 800 J10 bna lega...
Koi match hi nahi h performance me
Dushman bhut Ange h aur ye so rhe hn
Aap sahi baat kahe hai Mitrawar. Per kisi vi naye process ko karne me thoda samay lagta hai. Aeronautical area me research naya hi suru hua hai. Mai HAL ko defend nahi kar raha hoo, per current process ke Pura hone per hamare desh me Aeronautical field me ek revolution hone ki aasha Karni chahiye.

this time line is too relaxed the 1st flight should happen by mid 2025. this is too slow. Need to involve some of the private players in industry to take advantage of parallelism.

We should start handholding private player of repute and integrity to assembling of mk1a and Hal should be sufficiently free to focus on amca, mk2, tedbf and orca beside assembly of mk1a with private and public share holding. Initially public funding should be promoted without making Hal another Bsnl

the Money was released by the MoD only in 2022. The program was progressing only on I=internal HAL funds. And the benchmark for indigenisation was increased around that time, That is what led to delay in rollout, first flight etc, as indigenous versions of foreign components had to be developed.

The procurement process of Indian defence sector is still so bad because of the push for indigenisation. This is a very recent phenomena. 10 years ago, we used to buy everything from abroad, most of it from russia, so process was pretty simple.

The recent reforms that have happened, and the roadmaps for indigenisation and domestic procurement that have been created, will need time to set in and function properly. Unfortunately India started too late in this journey. If we had started on this indigenisation journey, 10 years sooner.....

IAF, HAL, MoD, DAC, DRDO all need to work together and be on same page, which is easier said than done.
I m saying it 2 years ago that Tejas mk2 flight won't happen by 2026 end , there is already supply chain issues in EU , giving orders is different thing & delivery of components is completely different... IAC-1 Radar got delayed by many months , Tejas mk-1a , mk1 components have been delayed....

Dassault, Boeing, LM all are facing these issues & not to mention 2026 is the earliest timeline, hiccups will be there..

So it's better to assume First flight by 2027 or in best case scenario by 2026 end.

I m saying it 2 years ago that Tejas mk2 flight won't happen by 2026 end , there is already supply chain issues in EU , giving orders is different thing & delivery of components is completely different... IAC-1 Radar got delayed by many months , Tejas mk-1a , mk1 components have been delayed....

Dassault, Boeing, LM all are facing these issues & not to mention 2026 is the earliest timeline, hiccups will be there..

So it's better to assume First flight by 2027 or in best case scenario by 2026 end.
I agree, rollout by 2025 and flight by 2026. If delay then 2027. But I believe that delay will not happen anymore. Unless there is another global shock.

HAL had said in the past that the plane will be delivered in T+36 months. I hat is, 36 months after the clearance. Then how did HAL chief in Jan 2021 say that he will roll out in August 2022, barely 20 months later? Not to mention, PIB sources mention funds released by GoI well before the sanction by CCS. Clearly, HAL has wasted 1000s of crores and is now lying to save itself. And MoD is not punishing it.

On September 1, 2022, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) cleared ₹10,000 crore for Tejas Mark 2 that includes prototype development and flight testing. The cost of fighter jet development will take ₹6,500 crore in addition to ₹2,500 crore sanctioned previously through internal funding.
Then how did HAL chief in Jan 2021 promise to deliver the aircraft in August 2022, when HAL itself said that making the plane will take at least 36 months?

So India is marching on the aircraft manufacturing. now the 2nd indigenous aircraft is ready. ADA/DRDO/HAL should focus on ejection seat, Rodome, and engine to increase the indigenous content along with other items.
Ready? It hasn’t even been rolled out 😂😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back