Initial Batch of Indian C295 Aeroplane to Take Shape in Spain

Initial Batch of Indian C295 Aeroplane to Take Shape in Spain

India, with its extensive coastline and strategic location in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), faces a dynamic maritime environment. To safeguard its interests, the Indian Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) recently approved the purchase of 15 Airbus C295 Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA).

This deal, worth an estimated Rs. 29,000 crore, is a major boost to India's maritime surveillance, anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities, and the nation's growing focus on indigenous defence manufacturing.

Understanding the C295: Flexibility & Advanced Technology​

The Airbus C295 is a versatile medium tactical transport aircraft that can be configured for various missions. For India, two configurations are crucial:
  • Maritime Surveillance Aircraft (MSA): Focused on surveillance, reconnaissance, and search & rescue, the MSA will strengthen India's ability to monitor its Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and track threats in real time.
  • Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA): The MPA ups the ante with anti-submarine warfare capabilities. Designed for high connectivity, the Indian MPA variant can integrate with other naval and air assets, significantly improving maritime situational awareness.

Hybrid Manufacturing: Self-Reliance and Skill Development​

India's C295 procurement highlights a 'Make in India' approach. While the initial four aircraft will be built in Spain, the majority (11) will be manufactured by a Tata-Airbus collaboration in Gujarat.

This promotes indigenous defence production, fosters technology transfer, and contributes to India's aerospace skill development.

Strategic Importance: Meeting India's Maritime Challenges​

The C295 acquisition addresses key security concerns for India:
  • Vast Maritime Domain: India's coastline stretches over 7,500 km with an EEZ of over 2 million sq. km. The C295's range and endurance allow for comprehensive coverage, enhancing overall monitoring.
  • Subsurface Threats: The IOR is increasingly contested, with submarine activity on the rise. The C295 in its MPA configuration provides India a critical tool to detect and deter subsurface threats.
  • Search & Rescue (SAR): With frequent cyclones and maritime accidents, the C295's capabilities are pivotal in SAR efforts within the region.
  • Geopolitical Context: India's commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific underscores the need for a robust maritime posture. The C295 contributes to India's power projection capabilities and its role as a net security provider.

The Future of India's Maritime Defence​

The C295 acquisition emphasizes India's proactive approach to securing its maritime interests. This procurement aligns with India's focus on indigenous defence manufacturing and demonstrates its growing capabilities in the aerospace sector.

As India continues to modernize its forces, the C295 will undoubtedly play a crucial role in its comprehensive maritime defence strategy for the Indian Ocean Region and beyond.

Good sense prevails this time around,as they realising the requirement for a ASW version and IRST variant right out now instead of a decade later.

Good, but India needs to produce more planes domestically with enhanced orders of MPA and MSA configuration for IN and ICG...Currently 56+15=71 should go upto 100-120, all delivered by 2032.

Good sense prevails this time around,as they realising the requirement for a ASW version and IRST variant right out now instead of a decade later.
Love IN for this, clarity in thought, quick decision & implementation 👍

Great.. Sure TATA will be more efficient & capable in technology absorption, help in building an Aero ecosystem 🤘

It's very good decision and cost effective. Indian companies will learn to manufacture MPA and MSA configuration aircrafts. It will give full control to integrate indian sensors and weapons for surveillance and anti submarine warfare. C295 can also be use to manufacture 42 seater civilian aircraft

Can someone explain, why we are going for 2 different systems for maritime patrol and recon- C295 and P8I. Why not just order more P8I, since we are already operating it. Costs due to training, spare parts, and other systems would be lower. will they serve different purposes?

Good, but India needs to produce more planes domestically with enhanced orders of MPA and MSA configuration for IN and ICG...Currently 56+15=71 should go upto 100-120, all delivered by 2032.
Assuming the Air Force decides to do the sensible thing of not trying to replace the An-32 and Il-76 with a single type of aircraft (which is an idea that is beyond stupid to start with), we may well see more C-295s being ordered. We have some 100-105 C-295s, so the eventual total for C-295s in Indian service may well cross 175.

Can someone explain, why we are going for 2 different systems for maritime patrol and recon- C295 and P8I. Why not just order more P8I, since we are already operating it. Costs due to training, spare parts, and other systems would be lower. will they serve different purposes?
Procurement and operational costs, mostly. We would need a very large number of P-8s for optimal coverage of the IOR, and even more considering they are occasionally sent to monitor the border with our unruly neighbours. The costs of having so many P-8s would be prohibitive.

The IN only manages to rescue foreigners. But they can not even find out how their own sailor disappeared from their ship and what happened to him and how to retrieve his body.
IN has been a better asset for foreigners than for Indians.

Hope TATA screwdrives this aircraft faster than dpsu HAL. 71 + and will surely cross 100+ soon for Airbus. Hope HAL takes inspiration and lessons from tata how to screwdrive without delay or else tejas mk1A will be delayed back by ages, let mig21 retire peacefully.

The IN only manages to rescue foreigners. But they can not even find out how their own sailor disappeared from their ship and what happened to him and how to retrieve his body.
Its better & more publicity.. honors & pat on the back from whitos makes us stand tall, erect & with chest out.

Because C295 is cheaper than P8I. And IAF already ordered 56 C 295 and due to manufacturing in India cost of spares parts and other systems will be cheaper than P8I

Hope TATA screwdrives this aircraft faster than dpsu HAL. 71 + and will surely cross 100+ soon for Airbus. Hope HAL takes inspiration and lessons from tata how to screwdrive without delay or else tejas mk1A will be delayed back by ages, let mig21 retire peacefully.
I think most of the parts of C 295 is going to manufacture in India except engine and avionics. It not screw driving job as you think

Searching a ship is easier than search for a body in ocean. It's not a good practice to blame anyone without knowing the details

Because C295 is cheaper than P8I. And IAF already ordered 56 C 295 and due to manufacturing in India cost of spares parts and other systems will be cheaper than P8I
makes sense. So, would it have been better if India had not gone for P8I in first place and gone for C295 originally? P8I deal was done in 2008. Should India have gone for domestic manufacturing deal with C295 then? Or does P8I provides some exceptional capability for which we need few of them?

India made a very good deal by getting the private sector Tata to manufacture these planes. The main benefit is that we will receive a large amount of the technology and we can manufacture most of it locally with Indian content.

If we will make some brand new MPA or MSA then it will enhance our security in the Indian Ocean even more but these planes won't be as good as the P8I planes. The C295 has a lower range and doesn't have the latest technology, sensors and components for anti-submarine warfare, surveillance and ship tracking. The main crucial capability it must have and it should be armed with our indigenous torpedos and missiles to attack ships or land targets. It must be able to use our own 100% indigenously designed and manufactured missiles and bombs and we shouldn't have to rely or just be stuck on western missiles and bombs.

Each C295 costs Rs 29,000/15 EQUALS 1,900 crores. That is USD 200 Million?

WTF? As per Janes, flyaway cost of a C295 is USD 34.41 Million. This is also the price Brunei purchased C295 in Dec 22.

How can an aircraft be purchased for 6X its flyaway cost ?

What an illogical statement ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back