Rafale Holds the Line Against J-20, While AMCA Prepares to Redefine India's Air Power

J-20-vs-rafale.jpg

The growing presence of China's J-20 stealth fighter near the Indian border has raised concerns for India's national security.

In response, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is increasingly relying on the Dassault Rafale, a 4.5-generation fighter jet, as its primary defense until the indigenous Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) becomes operational.

This strategic decision is based on a careful assessment of both aircraft's capabilities, particularly in the realm of stealth technology.

Stealth Technology: A Critical Factor​

The Chengdu J-20 is hailed as a fifth-generation stealth fighter, employing advanced design features and materials to minimize its radar cross-section (RCS). This makes it difficult for radar systems to detect and track, giving it a significant advantage in air combat.

Features such as smooth surfaces, sharp edges, internal weapons bays, and extensive use of radar-absorbing materials contribute to its reduced radar signature. While the exact RCS of the J-20 is classified, it is estimated to be substantially lower than non-stealth aircraft.

The Dassault Rafale, though not a full-fledged fifth-generation fighter, also incorporates stealth technology. It utilizes radar-absorbing materials on critical surfaces and optimizes its aerodynamic design to reduce its RCS.

While the Rafale's stealth capabilities may not match the J-20's, its estimated RCS of 0.1 to 1 square meter, depending on configuration, still makes it a formidable opponent.

Rafale: A Multifaceted Fighter​

Beyond stealth, the Rafale's versatility and advanced avionics contribute to its effectiveness. The Rafale is a multirole fighter, capable of air-to-air combat, ground attack, reconnaissance, and nuclear deterrence. This flexibility allows the IAF to deploy it in various mission profiles, providing a tactical advantage.

The Rafale's state-of-the-art avionics, including the RBE2-AA AESA radar, enhance its detection, tracking, and targeting capabilities. This allows it to maintain situational awareness and effectively engage threats in contested environments. The Rafale's design also allows for continuous upgrades, ensuring it remains relevant in the face of evolving threats.

Operational Readiness: A Key Advantage​

Unlike the J-20, which is still undergoing development and refinement, the Rafale is a mature platform with a proven operational track record. The IAF's ongoing induction and deployment of Rafale fighters provide an immediate and reliable boost to its air combat capabilities.

Bridging the Gap to the Future​

While the J-20's stealth capabilities present a significant challenge, the Rafale's combination of semi-stealth, versatility, and advanced technology makes it the IAF's best interim solution. The Rafale enhances India's immediate combat capabilities and serves as a valuable asset until the indigenous AMCA program reaches fruition.

As the AMCA project progresses, lessons learned from the Rafale's operational deployment will be invaluable.

If at all china dare to attack indian territory, we may see a fight of 4.5++ aircraft vs 5-- aircraft and biggest difference will be created by man behind the machine. On paper we can evaluate machine but not the skill behind machine. Otherwise on paper it's impossible to kill a 4.5gen f16 by 2+++ gen mig 21 and sabre by gnats..

I think we must have a 5th gen fighter as a deterrent to the PLAAF's J-20s, till the time our own AMCA is inducted in good numbers. Considering that Su-57 is not stealthy enough for a 5th gen fighter, the only alternative available now is the F-35 Lightning 2 - say 5 sqdns on G2G basis (just like P8i, C-17, C-130J, Chinook, Apache, MH-60R & MQ-9B Predator deals).

Again comparing a flying jet with jets which are in pipeline ( MRFA deal is still decades away & 36 Rafale can’t take on 200+ J20s)….
Even mk1a r not available in service as of now, talking about AMCA is a very distant dream…

India must ink deal with USA to make,F-36 (-5th gen), F-35A & F-35B for IAF and IN and buy 60+ F-15EX-II to make IAF best in the region !

J-20 is a bomb truck. More comparable to Su-30.

Pitting Rafales against J-20 would be an act of desperation.

Somewhere I feel, upgraded Super-Sukhoi with their more powerful Al-41 engines would have made for a better aircraft to counter J-20 in the interim. Rafael is a mismatch.

India must ink deal with USA to make,F-36 (-5th gen), F-35A & F-35B for IAF and IN and buy 60+ F-15EX-II to make IAF best in the region !
Bro, you are suggesting F-36, F-35 F-15.
You do realize that every Indian will need to donate his kidney to finance that kimd of acquisition.

I mean, our aam janta is so patriotic that it is ready to bring back jungle-raj so that perks of free bus-transport and free bijli can keep on coming. And you are asking them to part with their kidneys.

36 Rafale can’t take on 200+ J20s)….
Ofcourse they can.
Perch Akshat on nose-cone of just one Rafale and take it to battlefield.

Akhsat can down 90-100 J-20s by just throwing stones at them.

And if they can manage to perch Frank on other Rafale, toh bhai Chinese pilots ko gaali sunaa sunaa kei wahin plane mei aatmahatyaa karne par mazboor kar degaa. Another 50-60 J-20s downed this way.

For the remaining 10-20 J-20s, we have mig 21s.

J-20 is a bomb truck. More comparable to Su-30.

Pitting Rafales against J-20 would be an act of desperation.

Somewhere I feel, upgraded Super-Sukhoi with their more powerful Al-41 engines would have made for a better aircraft to counter J-20 in the interim. Rafael is a mismatch.
True.. I feel tejas is much more capable fighter to counter point defense against J-20 in case of J20 penetration and I seriously doubt the capabilities of J-20 in A to A fight.. For the same mission, super su-30 is best answer to J20

The J20 is not an actual stealth fighter no matter how much the Chinese claim it can do because our Sukhoi jets using over 20 year old technology can easily pick them out on radar.

So India needs to implement the Super Sukhoi program as soon as possible as this will help us even more. At the same time start delivering the Tejas MK1A jets that we need to increase our squadron strength along with developing the Tejas MK2 which is a crucial necessity that we need to increase our fire power.

The French lobby is busy promoting their wares.
Look at this article and the other on jet engine ToT.

Inferring just from these articles, I bet the Tejas is just as good against J-20, given that it's hard to detect because of its smaller cross-section, and the fact that it is custom made to weather condition in south-Asia.

biggest difference will be created by man behind the machine.
This is favourite retort line of the Pokistani fanbois whenever they run short on equipment side of an argument.
BTW, "Chinese" man behind the machine mei aisi kya kami hoti hai which makes "our" man behind machine superior to theirs?

This is favourite retort line of the Pokistani fanbois whenever they run short on equipment side of an argument.
BTW, "Chinese" man behind the machine mei aisi kya kami hoti hai which makes "our" man behind machine superior to theirs?
Bhai jaan.. Pakistani are better than Chinese as they have real combat experience.. Main to aaj bhi hairan hun ki Chinese Bina lade itne medal kis chij ke tang kr gumte hain

China observer did a very damaging video on J20. Title is "J20 Stealth Jet a Sky Joke! Detected and “Locked” by India’s Su-30, Too Low Quality to Sell"

do you guys even take this trash seriously ?

Well Indian pilots are anyways known to be among the best in the world. And the Chinese soldiers, and pilots, are known to be among the laggards. There was once a report on how the Chinese and Russians were practicing missile interception from ships and how Russia managed to intercept 70% of the missiles while the Chinese failed in more than 90% of the instances as their crew panicked (anonymous report from 2-3 years back so please use as much salt as you want but don't ask for proof). Their performance in Galwan also exemplified it. J11 of China was also said to be ripped apart by older Gripens in training exercises in 2020/2021. So the instances are many.

I think we must have a 5th gen fighter as a deterrent to the PLAAF's J-20s, till the time our own AMCA is inducted in good numbers. Considering that Su-57 is not stealthy enough for a 5th gen fighter, the only alternative available now is the F-35 Lightning 2 - say 5 sqdns on G2G basis (just like P8i, C-17, C-130J, Chinook, Apache, MH-60R & MQ-9B Predator deals).
I recently came to know that F35 has daily activation codes. Apart from US, UK is the only country that can generate their own codes. So buying F35 can be especially risky. With any other plane you will at least have the scope of a few months before spares are required, in case of sanctions. But with F35 it can become a significantly bigger issue.

That's putting aside the fact that F35 were never offered to us and will be super expensive and will come with 0 ToT.

The only answer is more indigenious MK2 at the fast. instead of wasting money on rafale or any other imported platform.

if F35 is not offered we need to have atleast 1-2 squadrons of SU-57.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kishore
Back