TKMS Offers to Make India a Submarine Hub if Selected for Project-75I Tender

eyJrZXkiOiJfbWVkaWEvVUNQdGh5c3NlbmtydXBwTWFyaW5lU3lzdGVtcy9lbi9wcm9kdWN0cy1zZXJ2aWNlcy9zdWJtYXJpbmVzLS9jbGFzcy0yMTIvc291cmNlLUhEVy1LbGFzc2UtMjEyQS0xXzItLXRoeXNzZW5rcnVwcC1NYXJpbmUtU3lzdGVtcy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjEyODB9fX0=

In a strategic move to secure the coveted Project-75I tender, ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) has dangled an enticing carrot before India: the prospect of becoming a regional submarine hub.

CEO Oliver Burkhard has envisioned a robust Indian ecosystem for the U-212 submarine model should TKMS be awarded the contract to build six advanced submarines for the Indian Navy.

TKMS, in collaboration with Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL), has submitted a bid for the Project-75I tender, which is valued at over Rs 45,000 crore. Burkhard's vision goes beyond just supplying the submarines; he proposes sourcing parts and components from Indian suppliers for not only the submarines built in India, but also those manufactured elsewhere by TKMS.

In addition to this, TKMS has committed to a complete Transfer of Technology (ToT) package for the six submarines to be constructed in India. This comprehensive transfer of knowledge would significantly enhance India's domestic submarine construction capabilities, allowing it to potentially design and build its own submarines in the future.

If TKMS's bid is successful, India stands to gain considerably. The ToT would boost its expertise in submarine design and construction, while the establishment of a submarine hub could attract business and foster technological advancements. Furthermore, Indian suppliers would get the opportunity to become part of the global supply chain for TKMS submarines.

This ambitious proposal comes at a time when India is looking to strengthen its naval capabilities amid growing regional tensions. The potential benefits of TKMS's offer could be a deciding factor in the final selection for the Project-75I tender, the outcome of which is eagerly anticipated by the global defence industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indian-American
Back