After 25 Years, HAL's HJT-36 Sitara Trainer Overcomes Hurdles, Clearance Expected This Year

After 25 Years, HAL's HJT-36 Sitara Trainer Overcomes Hurdles, Clearance Expected This Year

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's (HAL) troubled HJT-36 Sitara intermediate jet trainer (IJT) program appears to be on the cusp of a major breakthrough, with final clearance anticipated later this year. This development would pave the way for user trials with the Indian Air Force (IAF) and potential mass production.

The Sitara, designed to replace the IAF's aging HJT-16 Kiran trainers, encountered a significant setback in 2017 when it failed crucial spin tests. These tests assess an aircraft's ability to recover from potentially dangerous spins, a maneuver novice pilots might inadvertently initiate.

In response, HAL implemented modifications to the tail and rear fuselage sections of the HJT-36, aiming to resolve the spin test issues. These changes, coupled with the need to update the aircraft's avionics suite, necessitated a new round of certifications, causing further delays.

However, sources within HAL indicated that the major obstacles have been overcome, with only a few developmental tests remaining. HAL officials are optimistic about completing these tests soon, clearing the path for user trials with the IAF.

Successful user trials could lead to clearance for the production of the HJT-36, with the IAF reportedly interested in procuring up to 70 units to replace its aging Kiran fleet.

The potential induction of the HJT-36 would mark a significant milestone for India's domestic defense industry. Not only would it provide the IAF with a modern trainer aircraft, but it would also demonstrate HAL's capability to address technical challenges and successfully deliver on complex projects.

Additional Open-Source Information​

• The HJT-36 Sitara is a subsonic intermediate jet trainer aircraft designed and developed by HAL's Aircraft Research and Design Centre (ARDC).
  • It features a conventional low-wing design with tandem seating and is intended to train pilots in various flight maneuvers, including air-to-air combat and ground attack.
  • The aircraft has been plagued by delays and technical challenges since its inception in 1999, but recent developments suggest it may finally be nearing completion.

I hope they make a civil variant of this aircraft so that common people can buy ending the monopoly of cessna.

Laughing at india especially korean n Turkey wale after reading this headline....

Ah, yes. The poster child of failed aircraft development and the prime example of kicking a dead horse is now neaing the finish line. I suppose the last 20 years weren't spent doing the same?

The HJT-36 is quite literally an excellent example of a project that should long have been cancelled and very thoroughly documented. Ironically, the greatest contribution of the project is how not to develop an aircraft.

However, unfortunately, we seem to be intent on pushing the aircraft through regardless. As a result, few lessons will be learnt as opposed to what would be if the project had been cancelled.

Oh, and before anyone starts jumping on about me trying to promote imports, we should have cancelled this project once the HLFT-42 was proposed, and built a de-tuned version (essentially, a simpler variant with certain things pre-set) to act as an intermediate trainer. There is also the fact that intermediate trainers are, by themselves, am aging concept, but anyways...

Ah, yes. The poster child of failed aircraft development and the prime example of kicking a dead horse is now neaing the finish line. I suppose the last 20 years weren't spent doing the same?

The HJT-36 is quite literally an excellent example of a project that should long have been cancelled and very thoroughly documented. Ironically, the greatest contribution of the project is how not to develop an aircraft.

However, unfortunately, we seem to be intent on pushing the aircraft through regardless. As a result, few lessons will be learnt as opposed to what would be if the project had been cancelled.

Oh, and before anyone starts jumping on about me trying to promote imports, we should have cancelled this project once the HLFT-42 was proposed, and built a de-tuned version (essentially, a simpler variant with certain things pre-set) to act as an intermediate trainer. There is also the fact that intermediate trainers are, by themselves, am aging concept, but anyways...
Failed projects like HJT are revived to provide continued income stream and relevance to the samosa-munching chai-sipping, table-breaking crowd at HAL.

Think of this as MNREGA employment
Guarantee Scheme for the babus at HAL.

Knowing HAL, no gripes. We are expecting couple of more announcements that there will be delays in final clearance of HJT-36 giving blah blah blah excuses.

Good news. So will they get HTFE-25 engine to these jets ? They have been waiting for a platform to integrate this engine and improve it for last 10 years.

Okay HAL, wake everybody up when it is done.😄
However my appreciation goes to IAF who choose to wait for the platform rather than opting for imports. Nothing will be better if the platform succeeds.

Good ! Home grown tech may take time but lasts long and have room for further upgrades ! Now GTRE should seek 100 % engine tech !

Russian AL-51I engine messed it up royally.

HAL should have gone with a Honeywell engines to start with.

With what engine is it flying now?

Russian AL-51I engine messed it up royally.

HAL should have gone with a Honeywell engines to start with.

With what engine is it flying now?
This wasn't a engine issue. It was a outdated structure and body designed decades ago that's no longer applicable in modern day trainers that's needed.

This is good news that they have resolved the spin turn issue but unfortunately the air frame and body had to be structurally changed and certified which led to the delays. Hopefully they can now start production and I hope that they install and use our own indigenous HTFE-25 engine which outperforms the Russian NPO Saturn AL-55I engine in every category from its higher thrust level, thrust to weight, fuel consumption, weight etc. It's absolutely crucial that we use our own engine which will be much cheaper and easier to maintain, update or upgrade.

Okay HAL, wake everybody up when it is done.😄
However my appreciation goes to IAF who choose to wait for the platform rather than opting for imports. Nothing will be better if the platform succeeds.
IAF always does that. All our forces do. And then people blame them for not importing essential products.

Their laugh does not change the reality that their products are not indigenous and the PR will not help in time of war
As if our Tejas is flying with indigenous engines or the section seats or radome. In fact, at least Turkey is a NATO ally and US is treaty bound to defend it. So their PR will save them a lot in war and will earn them dollars when not at war. Unlike us. We don’t get the dollars and we will get the kick during the war as well.

HAL should be split into 3. Engine division, Rotor division and Aircraft division. Let these 3 entities have separate management, some common facilities and independent management, accounts and goals. To show case their outputs and to keep their plants running each of them will have to work harder.

As if our Tejas is flying with indigenous engines or the section seats or radome. In fact, at least Turkey is a NATO ally and US is treaty bound to defend it. So their PR will save them a lot in war and will earn them dollars when not at war. Unlike us. We don’t get the dollars and we will get the kick during the war as well.
US wud save turkey...i'm just flabergasted by the insane depth of your geopolitics understanding

US wud save turkey...i'm just flabergasted by the insane depth of your geopolitics understanding
There is literally a signed document that says this. Unless and until US pulls out of NATO or throws Turkey out, US is legally bound to do it.

So I am just amazed at your geopolitical and legal stupidity.

There is literally a signed document that says this. Unless and until US pulls out of NATO or throws Turkey out, US is legally bound to do it.

So I am just amazed at your geopolitical and legal stupidity.
Precisely! to be exact the article 5 that deals with collective security of the NATO constitution obliges US to intervene and protect Turkey in case of war.

Then you have to wait for 2 decades to buy one.
Are you certain they will be able to manage it in 20 years? I have a feeling that may be an order of magnitude too optimistic.

After HJT36 next will be SEF HLFT42 and TEF-New_Marut42-bomber to replace Jaguars...
There is no twin-engine Marut bomber coming. The HLFT-42 can be modified to act as a fairly decent ground attack aircraft, but you cannot simply add an engine to a design. Doing something like that requires a massive redesign of the whole aircraft.

Oh, and the HJT-36 is, in many ways, an utter failure of a project. We should have cancelled it when the HLFT-42 was proposed, and should have looked into some form of life extension for the HJT-16s while the HLFT-42 comes into being.

Looks like a upgraded version of BAE SYSTEMS hawk trainer jet IMHO 😹😹😹

However my appreciation goes to IAF who choose to wait for the platform rather than opting for imports.
BaE Hawk trainers are imported.
MMRFA is basically an Import bonanza.

Not blaming IAF, since the only current alternative, our much loved HAL's credentials and capabilities are unquestionably rock-bottom.

If left to HAL alone, IAF would end up defending with stones and stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Art Intel
Back