BDL Sets Sights on Global Market as Varunastra Torpedo Deliveries to Indian Navy Conclude

BDL Sets Sights on Global Market as Varunastra Torpedo Deliveries to Indian Navy Conclude

Following the successful completion of all Varunastra torpedo orders for the Indian Navy, Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) is actively exploring export opportunities for this indigenously developed anti-submarine weapon. In a recent interview with Bharat Shakti, Chairman of BDL A. Madhavarao confirmed that.

The Varunastra, a 533mm heavyweight torpedo, is a product of collaboration between BDL and the DRDO's Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL). With its advanced features, including an active-passive acoustic homing system, a powerful 250 kg high-explosive warhead, and selectable speed modes, the Varunastra has proven its effectiveness in anti-submarine warfare.

Having fulfilled the Indian Navy's requirements for 136 Varunastra torpedoes, BDL is now confident in the torpedo's export potential. The company believes that the Varunastra's combination of cutting-edge technology, competitive pricing, and proven performance will make it an attractive option for navies worldwide seeking to enhance their anti-submarine capabilities.

The decision to pursue exports also reflects the Indian government's broader push to promote indigenous defense products in the global market. With the Varunastra, BDL aims to showcase India's growing expertise in developing and manufacturing advanced defense technologies.

Major problem here: The numbers don't add up in a sensible manner.

The Varunastra is used by the Visakhapatnam-, Kolkata-, Delhi-, and Rajput-class destroyers, the Nilgiri-, and Talwar-class frigates, and the Kamorta-class corvettes. That comes to a grand total of 156 torpedo tubes. Even if we do not count the Rajputs, that comes to 141 torpedo tubes for the Varunastra.

The two orders mentioned here add up to 136 torpedoes. Does this mean we do not even have enough torpedoes to fill all our torpedo tubes? What about reserves? If this hasn't been factored in (by some miracle), that needs to be done asap, and sufficient reserves need to be built up.

You can't wait for torpedo deliveries in times of war. Just look at the US wait for the Mk 14 torpedo in WW2.

The Varunastra is used by the Visakhapatnam-, Kolkata-, Delhi-, and Rajput-class destroyers, the Nilgiri-, and Talwar-class frigates, and the Kamorta-class corvettes. That comes to a grand total of 156 torpedo tubes. Even if we do not count the Rajputs, that comes to 141 torpedo tubes for the Varunastra.

The two orders mentioned here add up to 136 torpedoes. Does this mean we do not even have enough torpedoes to fill all our torpedo tubes? What about reserves? If this hasn't been factored in (by some miracle), that needs to be done asap, and sufficient reserves need to be built up.

You can't wait for torpedo deliveries in times of war. Just look at the US wait for the Mk 14 torpedo in WW2.
Well pointed out. For sure, we are well short changed for torpedoes, even ship launched, that is. The situation for sub lunched is perhaps the worst. We probably don't have any heavy torpedoes for the Scorpenes at all as yet. In-spite of all the noise with Italy, noting concrete is in hand as yet.

73+63 = 136.
Too few to arm all warships and patrol boats.
Order in hundreds to safeguard Indian warships and stop the export business talks until the right numbers reached.

Also India badly needs torpedoes for Scorpene submarines.
They are originally hard-wired for Italian Blackshark torpedoes so PM should do something during his upcoming visit to Italy during G7 meeting there.

Well pointed out. For sure, we are well short changed for torpedoes, even ship launched, that is. The situation for sub lunched is perhaps the worst. We probably don't have any heavy torpedoes for the Scorpenes at all as yet. In-spite of all the noise with Italy, noting concrete is in hand as yet.
Agreed. I haven't even added any submarines into that count, even though some of our submarines can, atleast in theory, fire the Varunastra.

Of course we have a capacity issue with numbers - why is the order size so low. Besides numbers my question is how does Varunashtra compare with black shark and F-21 heavy torpedos, in terms of capability and also compatibility with Scorpenes and our future SSKs…and is there an improved version being developed?

73+63 = 136.
Too few to arm all warships and patrol boats.
Order in hundreds to safeguard Indian warships and stop the export business talks until the right numbers reached.

Also India badly needs torpedoes for Scorpene submarines.
They are originally hard-wired for Italian Blackshark torpedoes so PM should do something during his upcoming visit to Italy during G7 meeting there.
On top of that, I did some calculations, and found that we have atleast 141, and up to 156, torpedo tubes on warships currently in service or under construction that are planned to carry the Varunastra. That means the present order is not even sufficient to fill all these tubes, let alone have reserves.

We need a large reserve without any shadow of doubt. Maybe 500-1000 torpedoes would be a good number to have for reserve (so 650-ish to 1150-ish in total), although it would depend more on BDL's production capabilities.

How many in reserves is typical - say 5X or 10X???

On top of that, I did some calculations, and found that we have atleast 141, and up to 156, torpedo tubes on warships currently in service or under construction that are planned to carry the Varunastra. That means the present order is not even sufficient to fill all these tubes, let alone have reserves.

We need a large reserve without any shadow of doubt. Maybe 500-1000 torpedoes would be a good number to have for reserve (so 650-ish to 1150-ish in total), although it would depend more on BDL's production capabilities.
We are on the cusp of getting many new generations of P-18 based Destroyers and Frigates, ASW Corvettes, New Generation of Patrol Boats, etc
So we need to make many more hundreds of them.

Of course we have a capacity issue with numbers - why is the order size so low. Besides numbers my question is how does Varunashtra compare with black shark and F-21 heavy torpedos, in terms of capability and also compatibility with Scorpenes and our future SSKs…and is there an improved version being developed?
Agreed, Sir. Please refer to my comment here where I have done some calculations and come to the conclusion the present order isn't even sufficient to fill all the torpedo tubes on ships supposed to carry the Varunastra, let alone have any reserves.

Coming to the Black Shark and F21 vs the Varunastra, all three torpedoes are roughly comparable with some trade-offs here and there, though the Varunastra is maybe just a tad below the other two.

Oh, and I am not aware of any improved version in the works. There may be something, considering the small order size, but it hasn't been public, atleast.

How many in reserves is typical - say 5X or 10X???
As far as I know, most Navies keep a factor of 4 to 7 for reserves, depending on production capabilities and how much the torpedo is expected to be used. For the Varunastra, that translates to roughly 550-1000 torpedoes in reserve plus the 140 or so on the ships.

Agreed, Sir. Please refer to my comment here where I have done some calculations and come to the conclusion the present order isn't even sufficient to fill all the torpedo tubes on ships supposed to carry the Varunastra, let alone have any reserves.

Coming to the Black Shark and F21 vs the Varunastra, all three torpedoes are roughly comparable with some trade-offs here and there, though the Varunastra is maybe just a tad below the other two.

Oh, and I am not aware of any improved version in the works. There may be something, considering the small order size, but it hasn't been public, atleast.
Thanks…How compatible is varunashtra with our current and potentially future SSKs.

We are on the cusp of getting many new generations of P-18 based Destroyers and Frigates, ASW Corvettes, New Generation of Patrol Boats, etc
So we need to make many more hundreds of them.
Very true, Sir. Very true.
However, the ASW-SWC and the NGOPVs will not carry these heavyweight torpedoes. The ASW-SWC will carry lightweight TAL Shyena torpedoes, while the NGOPVs will not carry ASW torpedoes at all.

That said, we do have the NGMV and NGC corvettes, Project 17B frigates, MRSV, and other projects in the pipeline, besides all our current and planned submarines (which I haven't even factored into the calculations yet since it isn't entirely clear which of our submarines can fit the Varunastra).

Unless there is some new variant in the works which is expected to be procured in significantly larger numbers, we probably need to scale up our inventory by 6-10 times.

Agreed. I haven't even added any submarines into that count, even though some of our submarines can, atleast in theory, fire the Varunastra.
Then the order size with reserves should have been 1000, but given the capacity of 12-15 per year a tall order…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subh
Back