HAL to Produce 12 Su-30MKI Fighters, But High Costs and Russian Reliance Raise Concerns

sukhoi1200-sixteen_nine.jpg

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has received an order to manufacture 12 Su-30MKI multirole fighter jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF), bolstering the country's air defence capabilities. However, the deal highlights the ongoing challenge of achieving self-reliance in defence manufacturing.

The Su-30MKI, produced under license from Russia's United Aircraft Corporation, comes at a significant cost. A senior IAF official revealed that each HAL-built unit costs $70.3 million, a stark contrast to the $42.15 million price tag for a Russian-manufactured model.

This price disparity stems from the limited level of indigenization in HAL's production. Retired IAF Wing Commander Bhim Singh explains that only 51% of the Su-30MKI's components are indigenous, with the remaining 49% still sourced from Russia.

This reliance extends beyond raw materials like titanium, aluminum, and steel to even basic components like nuts and bolts. Additionally, HAL depends on Russia for servicing and overhauling the Su-30MKI fleet.

While the Su-30MKI program is crucial for the IAF's operational strength, it underscores the need for India to strengthen its domestic manufacturing capabilities. The Indian government is actively pursuing greater self-reliance in defence production, with initiatives like the Tejas program leading the way in indigenous fighter jet development.

Efforts to enhance domestic supply chains and reduce dependence on foreign suppliers are expected to be a key focus area for India's defence sector in the coming years. This push for self-reliance aims to ensure a more secure and cost-effective defence infrastructure for the country.

What is the use of this indigenization ?

50% of 70 million is 35 million…so it does not make sense if 50% made in India and 50% imported content cost USD 35 million each, whereas I can buy the whole fighter from Russia at 42 million and use the 30 million to make a LCA Tejas in India.

For the same money I get 2 warplanes, I spend 45% of the money in India this fulfilling both objectives.

If the configuration of new Su30MKI is up to Super Sukhois its OK.

What is the use of this indigenization ?

50% of 70 million is 35 million…so it does not make sense if 50% made in India and 50% imported content cost USD 35 million each, whereas I can buy the whole fighter from Russia at 42 million and use the 30 million to make a LCA Tejas in India.

For the same money I get 2 warplanes, I spend 45% of the money in India this fulfilling both objectives.
AFAIK indigenizing the parts is good but will cost more because at the moment India is not self sufficient for manufacturing its own parts.... And if I were the GoI we should instead procure more from Russia for cheap price asking them establishing a repair and overhaul plus basic manufacturing plants for some crucial technology to be exempted when a war broke out or sanctions from other countries trigger

Actually contract should be for 13, not 12 as 1 more SU-30MKI crashed right after the overhaul at Nashik HAL.
When Russia is selling SU-30MKIs for half the price of HAL, then it is better to award contract to Russa and get 24 or 26 new SU-30MKIs until India is ready to upgrade older ones to Super Sukhois.

It is a better option for providing immediate boost to Indian security and defenses than giving disgusting HAL screw driving cooliwallahs job safety.

HAL has been in existence for over 60 years. It does not show itself as a center for any aviation excellence. Same screw driver technology mindset driven by file pushing babus and retired military " experts ". Pathetic.

Actually contract should be for 13, not 12 as 1 more SU-30MKI crashed right after the overhaul at Nashik HAL.
When Russia is selling SU-30MKIs for half the price of HAL, then it is better to award contract to Russa and get 24 or 26 new SU-30MKIs until India is ready to upgrade older ones to Super Sukhois.

It is a better option for providing immediate boost to Indian security and defenses than giving disgusting HAL screw driving cooliwallahs job safety.
Won't happen, since Russia cannot complete Su-30MKIs now. The sanctions regime on them means they cannot source most of the avionics for the Su-30MKI now. If we did give Russia a contract, we'd get half-completed aircraft that we'd have to fit with most of the systems anyways.

Need to buy 2 more to compensate for the two loses in the past few months.
There has only been one Su-30MKI lost in the last five years, let alone few months. I assume you are referring to the Tejas Mk 1 loss. I mean, if absolutely necessary, we could order 98 Mk 1As instead of 97.

However, we can't do this "order an aircraft every time one is lost" thing every time. It just isn't feasible generally, even though it can be done for now.

Why only 12 SU-30 ? one SU-30 we lost few weeks back we must have new lot of 60-80 Super SU-30 with 100% TOT !

Indian-Govt & IAF could consider to cancel MRFA to invest in:-
  1. Additional 18 to 36 Rafale-Jets under a G-2-G deal
  2. Additional 90 Su-30 MkI jets under Make-in-India program
  3. ORCA (TEDBF) in a JV with IN
  4. Additional C-295 Aircraft to replace the ageing An-32s
Logistical synergy, indigenous design & production of Aircraft is necessary for Indian Aerospace Industry.

Need to buy 2 more to compensate for the two loses in the past few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neil B.
Back