Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

Indian Navy May Add Additional 12 MH-60R Seahawks to its Arsenal

The Indian Navy is looking to bolster its anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities further with the potential acquisition of 12 additional Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopters.

Sources familiar with the matter indicate that the deal, expected to be finalized in 2026, would likely be carried out through the U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. This move requires approval from the Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD).

This expansion plan follows the Indian Navy's recent induction of its first squadron of MH-60R Seahawks, a step seen as a notable enhancement of the force's ASW capabilities.

The MH-60R is a versatile multi-mission helicopter equipped with advanced sensors and weaponry, including Hellfire missiles, MK-54 torpedoes, precision-guided rockets, powerful radars, and night-vision systems.

The initial contract, signed in February 2020 and valued at Rs 15,157 crore ($2.13 billion), covers the purchase of 24 MH-60R helicopters. Currently, six helicopters have joined the Indian Navy's fleet, with the remaining 18 deliveries scheduled through the end of 2025.

The proposed addition of 12 more Seahawks underscores the Indian Navy's confidence in the platform. These helicopters offer a robust blend of combat power, advanced detection systems, and mission adaptability, solidifying their value in diverse naval operations.

Key areas where the MH-60R excels include:
  • Anti-submarine warfare (ASW): Tracking and neutralizing underwater threats
  • Anti-surface warfare (ASuW): Engaging surface vessels
  • Search and rescue (SAR): Locating and rescuing personnel in distress
  • Maritime patrol: Surveillance and reconnaissance missions
  • Special operations support: Transporting and assisting special forces units

Sir India is safe because it have nuclear weapons and it's delivery systems. No country dare to attack India. Even NATO has no courage to attack North Korea, why? And C-17 was very costly and it was khangress term to purchase it which they missed. I have full belief in current government they will do what will be best for India. And we will never reach a point where we will be 100% safe, that's doesn't mean we will keep importing more and more. If we import 60 MH60R helicopters then why we are developing iMRH, and if navy choosing 15 more C295 then they had definitely go through all available options before finalizing. Atleast I believe in Indian Navy more than our indian army. And P8I and MH60R production lines are not going to be closed for many years as they have sufficient orders
Sir, this "nuclear is the only guarantee of safety" is one of the reasons the US faced such major issues at the start of the Korean War, when they realised that as useful as nukes were, you couldn't just use them willy-nilly.

Nuclear weapons ate the ultimate guarantee of safety and possibly destruction. Say, if a non-nuclear nation like Tharki were to attack us tomorrow, or if the civil war in Myamar were to spill over, would be launch our nukes?

Read up a bit on why the "Revolt of the Admirals" happened in the US in 1949.

Nukes are a part of the deterrent, but so are conventional forces. As we are seeing in Ukraine, nuclear sabre-rattling is as far as anyone will go even at this point in the war.

As for the C-17, I don't care who was in power when they were purchased. They were somewhat expensive, yes, but they were the best aircraft available for the role with few alternatives. It was a mixture of poor planning by the IAF and delayed approvals by the government that led to the IAF ending up with 11 C-17s only as opposed to the planned 14-16. A few years down the line now, we are struggling because the Il-76s will start retiring in a decade, and no replacements are available. I don't want a repeat of that with the P-8 or the MH-60, though the MH-60 will atleast remain in production for a few years still.

Sir, this "nuclear is the only guarantee of safety" is one of the reasons the US faced such major issues at the start of the Korean War, when they realised that as useful as nukes were, you couldn't just use them willy-nilly.

Nuclear weapons ate the ultimate guarantee of safety and possibly destruction. Say, if a non-nuclear nation like Tharki were to attack us tomorrow, or if the civil war in Myamar were to spill over, would be launch our nukes?

Read up a bit on why the "Revolt of the Admirals" happened in the US in 1949.

Nukes are a part of the deterrent, but so are conventional forces. As we are seeing in Ukraine, nuclear sabre-rattling is as far as anyone will go even at this point in the war.

As for the C-17, I don't care who was in power when they were purchased. They were somewhat expensive, yes, but they were the best aircraft available for the role with few alternatives. It was a mixture of poor planning by the IAF and delayed approvals by the government that led to the IAF ending up with 11 C-17s only as opposed to the planned 14-16. A few years down the line now, we are struggling because the Il-76s will start retiring in a decade, and no replacements are available. I don't want a repeat of that with the P-8 or the MH-60, though the MH-60 will atleast remain in production for a few years still.
Sir I means nuclear weapons are not for use or attack but for defence. It gives guarantee to save a country otherwise enemy will also be destroyed with it. If Ukraine had nuclear weapons Russia could not attack it. And also P8I production is not going to close in near future as it had sufficient orders from Canada, Korea, Germany. So no need to worry for production closure if navy really need it they can order within some years. Same for MH60R helicopters. Navy not seems in hurry because they have plan and backup we don't know about. If nuclear weapons are not giving guarantee for safety then how some more P8I and MH60r are giving this guarantee. US is exporting only those weapons which do not shift power balance in India's favour

No worry for more c-17 order, india can manage with some medium weight transport aircraft with technology transfer also which is more important than just import. If not 13, 14 then 11 is not so bad. Money for remaining c-17, P8I mh60r is not returning to government but can be used in other important projects.

We can use old till deck based helicopter come. No, desperate need to waste money.
If old was effective, there would be no need to consider new ones in the first place. These kind od justifications are only for self cajoling, serve no purpose for defence!

India needs to buy more of these but it would be better if we can get them made in India if possible. At the same time India should at least start to design and develop our own indigenous anti submarine helicopters by using the IMRH as a template so that we can cut our foreign expensive imports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Girish Bhilware
Back